If Zuerlein hadn't gotten the yips last year....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
... how much better would our record have been?

There's all this talk about the offense improving (and I think even getting field goals closer could help) but his lack of consistency really hurt us last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GZ finished as the 26th in FG %, but if he connected on just 2 of his misses he'd have finished 11th. That's how tightly grouped these kickers are.

Playoff stud Mason Crosby (GB) finished 23rd.

Looking at games we lost in which he missed a kick; I'd argue the only game that's debatable is the San Diego game.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Maybe 1 game better? The he was 24/30 and 5 of the 6 misses were in games that didn't matter:

vs MIN: L 6-34 (2/3)
vs SEA: W 28-26 (0/1)
@ KC: L 7-34 (0/1)
@ SD: L 24-27 (1/2)
@ WAS: 24-0 (1/3)

SD is the only game you can argue he cost us a win. The margin of victory in the other games was already pretty sizable

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys! Eye-opening when seeing his misses in context. Funny how memory works, there was a part of me that wanted to lay our dismal season at his feet! ;)

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Thanks guys! Eye-opening when seeing his misses in context. Funny how memory works, there was a part of me that wanted to lay our dismal season at his feet! ;)

I'm much more inclined to blame Davis and Hill. Both had countless late-game meltdowns, one of which I had the misfortune of witnessing in person (SD game)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm much more inclined to blame Davis and Hill. Both had countless late-game meltdowns, one of which I had the misfortune of witnessing in person (SD game)
Davis Davis Davis!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Greg Zuerlein when he makes them!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe 1 game better? The he was 24/30 and 5 of the 6 misses were in games that didn't matter:

vs MIN: L 6-34 (2/3)
vs SEA: W 28-26 (0/1)
@ SD: L 24-27 (1/2)
@ WAS: 24-0 (1/3)

SD is the only game you can argue he cost us a win. The margin of victory in the other games was already pretty sizable
And, considering 5 of our Losses last year were by 6 points or less, an extra field goal or two wouldn't have hurt either!!:rolleyes:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
that Washington game was bad. that game really skewed his stats. but in his defense that field was such a piece of shit it really messed with him after the first kick. I was at the game. he was pissed with himself he went into the locker room at halftime and was in there less than 5 minutes before he came back out kicking all halftime.

OJM

UDFA
that Washington game was bad. that game really skewed his stats. but in his defense that field was such a piece of crap it really messed with him after the first kick. I was at the game. he was pissed with himself he went into the locker room at halftime and was in there less than 5 minutes before he came back out kicking all halftime.
I was there also. That sounded like a rams crowd during most of that game. Everyone was so pleased once he made a kick.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I was there also. That sounded like a rams crowd during most of that game. Everyone was so pleased once he made a kick.
best part was watching paper bags go on heads and the RG3 chants in the 4th :ROFLMAO:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I suspected at the time that GZ had some sort of injury that we were unaware of. He seemed to be only kicking with 50-70% power. I still think that is a possibility.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Misses influence future coaching decisions...so maybe an earlier miss made Fish forgo an attempt to go for a first down or even punt...no way to tell....but GZ has been off his game for 1 1/2 seasons or so....

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
That miss was actually critical. The game was 7-7 and the defense had recovered a fumble deep in KC's territory but we couldn't get it into the endzone. Zuerlein missed the FG. Big turning point since we weren't able to capitalize on the turnover.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That miss was actually critical. The game was 7-7 and the defense had recovered a fumble deep in KC's territory but we couldn't get it into the endzone. Zuerlein missed the FG. Big turning point since we weren't able to capitalize on the turnover.
Bingo. Net turnover points.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
....but GZ has been off his game for 1 1/2 seasons or so....
with all due respect, how is converting 26-28 in 2013 being off his game? Not to mention having 52 Touchbacks on his 78 kickoffs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
with all due respect, how is converting 26-28 in 2013 being off his game? Not to mention having 52 Touchbacks on his 78 kickoffs.
I stand corrected....1 1/3 seasons....seems like he was missing some at the end of 2013, but I could be wrong...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I stand corrected....1 1/3 seasons....seems like he was missing some at the end of 2013, but I could be wrong...
he missed TWO kicks the entire 2013 season. But I think there are alot of people like you who seem to think he somehow had a bad year. Obviously, I am not one of them.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If we are going hang losses on him, gotta give him credit for his wins too. The Tampa game comes to mind.