If We Draft An Ot With Our First Pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
I don't think we will see Oline in the first round, I think they will wait until the second or third round and find a tackle they can groom slowly but plug in at guard right away. the LT spot is Longs no question about that, Barkdale has shown he can handle the RT spot very well and should only get better, the need for Tackle is not as great as other needs, IMO in the second or third round you should be able to get a pretty good player to coach up, and coach B knows how to do just that.

iced

I don't think we will see Oline in the first round, I think they will wait until the second or third round and find a tackle they can groom slowly but plug in at guard right away. the LT spot is Longs no question about that, Barkdale has shown he can handle the RT spot very well and should only get better, the need for Tackle is not as great as other needs, IMO in the second or third round you should be able to get a pretty good player to coach up, and coach B knows how to do just that.
i don't see OT in the first either, especially after the snead interview. I see a Guard in 2nd or 3rd, possibly the 4th.

I expect them to sign some for at the minimum for depth in FA

Alan

Legend
jap responding with:
It's not plagiarism---it's really a very intriguing idea to have road grading monsters like Big Jake and BeetleJuice at the guard spots.
I was just making fun of me having the same idea as you and writing about it after you do. I almost said "great minds think alike don't they?" but I already used that one recently and I don't like to repeat myself. Just like my saying "responding with". It's not easy coming up with something new each time especially when you just woke up. :heh:

It is an intriguing idea and yes, we are both brilliant! Better? :wink:

jap

Legend
I was just making fun of me having the same idea as you and writing about it after you do. I almost said "great minds think alike don't they?" but I already used that one recently and I don't like to repeat myself. Just like my saying "responding with". It's not easy coming up with something new each time especially when you just woke up. :heh:

It is an intriguing idea and yes, we are both brilliant! Better? :wink:

Well, I really got the idea from another member who started a thread about using Big Bad Jake at guard just like BeetleJuice. The movements at guard are more compact and quicker than what is required in space at tackle. I suspect many of Rodger's injuries came from over extending himself in space, which is less likely at guard. Perhaps Jake's problems have been similar.

The thing is: both are above average pass blockers and elite run blockers. Perhaps this could be the beginning of the new Battering Ram OL we haven't had since Eric Dickerson's heyday. Let Joe hold down the fort at RT, and get a rookie tackle or a veteran in there at LT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jake never played the last game - he tore the acl the week before against the bucs. Saffold left the seattle game with a concussion.

Chris Williams played LT

Yep thanks Saffold started OLT for Long but suffered a late 4th quarter concusion and yes your right again Chris Williams conclued the 4th quarter @ OLt and Brandon Washington @ OLG. Thanks my SWFL ROD'mer.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
the seattle game was mostly back ups..no long, no saffold, no dahl...

however, when we played them with our starters - zac stacy didn't have a bad day...just ran all over the pedhawks to a tune of 142 yards..no biggie

Well, in all likelihood next season Long won't be available week 1, and Saffold and Dahl will probably be playing for different teams.

So you're comfortable going forward with the guys the the Rams have on hand then?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No problem Thad. I tend to be a bit of a smart ass but I actually was trying to help.

Cheers man.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
No problem Thad. I tend to be a bit of a smart ass but I actually was trying to help.

Cheers man.

Sincere thanks Stu. I don't post a whole lot so I appreciate any help I can get around here.

Also, I can always appreciate another smart ass in the group.

iced

Well, in all likelihood next season Long won't be available week 1, and Saffold and Dahl will probably be playing for different teams.

So you're comfortable going forward with the guys the the Rams have on hand then?

Long is supposed to be back by week 1, and they are trying to resign Saffold. Replacing Dahl with Saffold is actually an upgrade.

And free agency hasn't hit yet.

To answer your question, yes. I am content with Long at LT, Barksdale at RT, Saffold at G. the real question is Center and the other Guard spot.

curious to see how barrett jones is doing.

I actually would love to sign alex mack and have this line -

LT - Long
G - Saffold/Jones
C - Mack
RT - Barksdale

but just because you don't draft an o-lineman with your first pick doesn't mean you can't get one..there will be plenty of decent guards available, like cyril richardson...possibly the notre dame kid, etc. Tackle is not the issue, interior is

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I prefer two other OG's over the Jason Smith's Baylor College OG Richardson who is slated to go in the first round ...I like the tough Zach Martin & smart talented David Yankey in the second round myself.

Snead needs a 2015 ORT and a 2014 swing OT. Better prepare for the known....OLT Long has a long rehabbing event once the surgery take place no sure thing he will be ready. OT/OG Saffold is not a Ram in 2014, ORT Barksdale is not a Ram in 2015. Rams known 2014 OG 's are Dahl, Persons & Washington (none of which were starting after the last if October of 2013). Only wild card positive is Barrett Jones!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Long is supposed to be back by week 1, and they are trying to resign Saffold. Replacing Dahl with Saffold is actually an upgrade.

And free agency hasn't hit yet.

To answer your question, yes. I am content with Long at LT, Barksdale at RT, Saffold at G. the real question is Center and the other Guard spot.

curious to see how barrett jones is doing.

I actually would love to sign alex mack and have this line -

LT - Long
G - Saffold/Jones
C - Mack
RT - Barksdale

but just because you don't draft an o-lineman with your first pick doesn't mean you can't get one..there will be plenty of decent guards available, like cyril richardson...possibly the notre dame kid, etc. Tackle is not the issue, interior is

I never said they had to use the first pick on OL, I wouldn't mind, but it's not totally necessary.
My problem is only drafting OL 4th round and later and expecting that to be good enough.

Jake Long back by week 1 is incredibly optimistic. Fisher and Snead can say whatever they want, but his injury is significant.

I really don't believe that Saffold will be back, we'll just have to see.

I'd also like to see Alex Mack on the Rams, it would be nice if that happened.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with a huge understatement:
Modest too. :wink:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who is our starting LT once Long comes back?

It's a question I keep on coming back to, for me if you spend a high pick on a tackle you best be doing so with a view for him to be your starting LT and so even with Long back I'd have to play the pick at LT unless he stunk it up. I'm sure others will disagree with that and say play Long at LT, but if you don't what do you do with Long? Do you move him to RT? Can either Long or Barksdale take one of the OG spots? Are we simply paying Long too much not to be the starting LT?

Just some random questions I've been mulling over.

You play Long.