If Only the Rams Had Listened to Mel Kiper Jr. Over the Past Five Years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams picks or Mel Kiper's picks?

• Rams

Votes: 56 96.6%
  • Mel Kiper

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Kiper is an enterainer, that's what he does...He studies numbers, lives by numbers and makes his picks with numbers...I'm not impressed by him...Like I said, he entertains me, nothing more

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Did Kiper write this article himself? Our actual picks are scads better than the revisionist history bullshit. Especially if the pool of QBs we could have had is as deep as that kiddy pool they showed.

Only Wilson matters on that whole list and they're acting like the rest of those guys are actually worth skipping over Quinn, Donald, Robinson and co.

The Robinson for Matthews trade off is especially bad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have to look any further than drafting Aaron Donald to know the answer

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL

Except half the guys were drafted before we picked.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The only pick that's even a question really to me is Sam/Suh and that's only because of the injury piece.
And I was and am pro Sam being the pick.
I think the major issue the front office had was that they knew that the second contract for Suh was going to be qb type money and it would be hard to justify paying a non qb that kind of money

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is drivel. Nothing to see here....

FrankenRam

Starter
LOL

Except half the guys were drafted before we picked.

I'm guessing the MK 'picks' listed must have been from a pre-draft mock.(??) Surely, he wouldn't have been sitting on the ESPN set suggesting those picks when the player had already been selected.

The one thing I do admire about MK is his memory and the ability to rattle off 'analysis' (be it good or bad) at the drop of a hat on a seemingly endless # of players.

But when it comes to 'expert analysts', I'd take Joel Bushbaum over MK any day. I used to be glued to KMOX when they'd have JB on a weekly show and he would just go on and on about any/every draft suspect anyone would call in and ask about. IMO, Pro Football Weekly was doomed the day he passed.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have Mike Mayock pick for us, that guy knows his stuff. Kiper is just annoying.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd rather have Mike Mayock pick for us, that guy knows his stuff. Kiper is just annoying.

Both are annoying. Mel Kiper likes to continuously harp on certain guys while Mike Mayock is uptight and talks like he's God's gift to draft speculation. Both of those guys have combined to my ever growing disinterest in pre-draft nonsense.

Athos

Legend
Only one of the picks is one equal talent and that pick we had absolutely no shot at (Julio).

The only pick is Sam/Suh and that's only relevant because of freak or not so freak (BS offensive line) leading to injuries.

Kiper is a tool and shit evaluator.

I'd say the Rams actual picks are better, and IMO it's not really close. If Kiper's picks had come true, we wouldn't have a QB, we would have a WR who is suspended indefinitely and we would be due to pay a DT something like $20 million(?) this year.
It's also a bit of a rubbish title from TST because a couple of the Kiper picks were gone by the Rams pick anyway, so they couldn't have really 'listened to him' without giving up a significant amount of future draft capital.

To be fair to Kiper, going with his shitty picks probably would have had us sucking enough in 2012 to draft Luck for ourselves. :ROFLMAO:

Though, even with Luck, we'd probably not be very good in the NFC West.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay... I'm going to buck popular opinion and give some credit to Kiper. Dude is pretty much a self made man and created his "brand" of player evaluation. From what I read, he worked hard to get where he is.

He's very opinionated, which comes off cocky, but truth be told that's part of his brand. He gets people talking and debating... and alot has to do with his bravado.

He's not always right. But none are.

I have no trouble with the man.

Year........Pick........Rams Choice...............Kipers Choice
2010........1.1..........Sam Bradford...............Ndamukong Suh...Suh, would have forced us to address the QB position at some point in the last 4 drafts, rather than the mess we've seen the last 1.5 years and could continue to see going into next season...of course one of those solutions may have been RGIII :sick:.
2011........1.14........Robert Quinn................Julio Jones...Straight up I'll take Quinn, of course Jones wasn't available at our pick so I'll still take Quinn
2012........1.14........Michael Brockers.........Justin Blackmon...I'll take Brockers over someone who can't get on the field due to his own stupidity.
2013........1.8..........Tavon Austin................Kenny Vaccaro...Haven't watched much Vaccaro, didn't like him in college, apparently he was pretty awful last year according to PFF. Austin hasn't been much better, if they are the two choices I'd probably have to go Austin, if I'm allowed a tie I'll take neither.
2013........1.30........Alec Ogletree...............D.J. Fluker...Are we talking first half of last season Ogletree or second half? I'd probably have to go Ogletree as he wasn't taken 20 picks before our pick.
2014........1.2..........Greg Robinson.............Jake Matthews...Two players who both had rather poor rookie seasons, both have potential, time will tell.
2014........1.13........Aaron Donald.............Mike Evans...The best DT in football against a WR who had an excellent season for a rookie. Don't think you could go wrong with either pick tbh. Would have to go with Donald of the two as he was actually available when we draft.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yes our actual draft looks better. Even if we could have picked Julio, you can't argue that Quinn is the better choice in hindsight.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
JMO I don't expect much from a guy who eats pumpkin pie and whipped cream for breakfast EVERY DAMNED DAY< sounds like a guy who once set ain't gonna budge