If not Von... plans B, C, D, etc.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Not sure if it's going backwards by a lot when we know he can rush the passer with AD, and AD can rush the passer with Fowler.

Yea bro but that's not enough he is just another dude. Losing Miller would be huge if you can't add another similar player that leaves the opposition in despair as to who to double it hurts. If you get a Fowler AD will still be getting abused double and triple teamed and he while AD is not old he is older than he used to be.

To replicate some semblance of that pass rush from last year you would need either to catch lightening in a bottle or an ascending rusher like Landry still would be lighting in a bottle but would be a great add or a DeMarcus Lawrence Khalil Mack and yes a Chandler Jones. It's not that I want a superstar at every position it's more that for our strengths it's what we would need to try and replicate that rush and keep our core strength it allows for so much more. Fowler I've always liked and I was banging the drum for him to be a Ram back then but it a different level

If you take away from greatest strength of the unit it brings you back closer to the pack and it be terrible for AD he spoiled in a good way now lol.

Hope Miller just has a sense of humor. I will say he has earned the right to go for the money and the privilege to go home if he chooses however that said it's like breaking up with a gf. Was everything he said true was he trying to convince himself us or both? What about how he always wanted to play with AD and his "brother" Obj and then wanting to retire in blue and yellow.

Maybe I'm blind while I did see how hurt he was he seemed to adapt well so right now I'm 60/40 he returns. We shall see though.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's remember that when AD was teamed up with Fowler, Floyd wasn't here. We're talking about all three at the same time, something that we've never had.

Yes, Miller is better than Fowler. But AD, Floyd, Fowler and a matured Gaines would be a pretty new and good beast.

oldnotdead

Legend
We have Lewis and Hollins who are extremely underrated. Hollins has the physical metrics you want at a starting edge. He came in raw so he's been underutilized since then. But he looks to be a complete OLB who can rush, drop into coverage, and has been decent against the run. Time for the Rams to begin to tap into the talent they have on this roster in the form of Lewis and Hollins.

People downgraded Floyd when he was first signed. But I could see his potential and I see similar potential in Hollins. IMO in this scheme, he's a 7-10 sack edge. At 6'5", 4.5 speed, 33" arms, and 10" hands IMO he can get it done as a starting edge. They can play Lewis on run heavy downs and use Hollins in rotation on passing downs. He's a 3 down LB as he can play in coverage behind Lewis as a normal OLB. Hollins is a complete OLB/edge in a way Fowler wasn't and it's why Fowler isn't a Ram.

This team doesn't have the cap space to sign an expensive FA edge. Time for Hollins to show he can be the starter that his metrics teased he can be. In his two years as a part-time player for the Rams, Hollins has 5 sacks, 1 PD, 2 FF, 50 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 hurries, 10 pressures, 2 QBKD. IMO it's time to start him at edge opposite Floyd.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sign Wagner and Fowler...likely for the price of Von. Let Von walk, get a 5th round comp pick for him and neither Wagner nor Fowler count against the cap

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Fowler makes a lot of sense IF we need to replace Von. However you will just not replace Vons big-time timely plays with Fowler even if their statiscs looked similar at the end.
Big time players make big time plays and I just don't think that is taught. It is an internal desire along with massive talent and VM has both Fowler is a very good fit but not Von not even close

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wagner? Not an edge but... yes, please!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I hope they don't do what the Saints have done. They're in a mess. Haha. I think this is the year they prioritize the iOL and DBs
That mess is what's left of keeping the window open as long as possible with Brees. I love that approach. Once Stafford is gone, you're probably blowing it all up anyway.
Zero problem with that approach.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not sure if it's going backwards by a lot when we know he can rush the passer with AD, and AD can rush the passer with Fowler.
It's definitely not Von.. but Fowler had his best years with the Rams and Donald and you probably get him at a decent price without affecting the compensation formula.
Obo was actually good when he played last year.. bring him back on a reasonable deal as well. Maybe draft an edge prospect.

And.. who knows what might become available during the season?

I say beef up the D by drafting a couple of corners with a little more size than Long and Williams who can really tackle.. and you're in good shape.

Good time to remember the Rams lead the NFL in sacks when they decided to trade for Von last year.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have done well at edge by signing other teams' disappointments to one year deals and getting a comp pick the next year after they play a year with Donald.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams moved on from Fowler because he's schematically very limited. He is strictly a 4-3 DE who is a liability if asked to drop into coverage. Fowler's snap count in ALT dropped significantly from 2020 to 2021 and he only started 6 games last year. Signing him makes no sense. Re-signing the OL, Gay, Howard, Michel, and others are more important than a limited player in decline. If Miller gets a big contract in Denver that could mean a second round comp pick next year.

Miller has his rings and this is his last shot at a big payday.

I'm more concerned about extending Noteboom and Allen than Miller.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams moved on from Fowler because he's schematically very limited. He is strictly a 4-3 DE who is a liability if asked to drop into coverage. Fowler's snap count in ALT dropped significantly from 2020 to 2021 and he only started 6 games last year. Signing him makes no sense. Re-signing the OL, Gay, Howard, Michel, and others are more important than a limited player in decline. If Miller gets a big contract in Denver that could mean a second round comp pick next year.

Miller has his rings and this is his last shot at a big payday.

I'm more concerned about extending Noteboom and Allen than Miller.

The most we can get out of Von Miller moving on in free agency would be a 5'th rd. Comp pick next year. And there are NO 2'nd. rd Comp. picks ...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If Miller gets a big contract in Denver that could mean a second round comp pick next year.
The highest Compensatory Pick begins at the end of Round Three.

By rule, a player of Von Miller's experience can return a comp pick no higher than the end of Round 5.

JustMe

Rookie
Name
Just Me
“I want to figure it out with the Rams first and foremost because they’ve been real good to me,” Miller told Anderson. “On the slim chance that can’t happen, then I’ll explore all my options.”

TheTackle

Pro Bowler