If It Comes Down To A Trade Between Oakland & Cleveland For Our #2....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

...I sure hope the Rams pick the Raiders.

Cleveland is a highly talented team missing only a QB, in a division that is very much in flux with both Pittsburgh and Baltimore showing their ages and the Bengals being held back by their QB. I have no doubt IF Cleveland gets the right signal caller they will win "at least" 8-9 games next year, as they would have this year had Hoyer not gotten hurt.

But when you look at the mess Oakland is, in a division where they will be playing 6 games vs Denver, KC and SD next season and their other 10 games are as follows:

AWAY:

NE
Seattle
Rams
Jets
Cleveland

Home:
SF
Ariz
Miami
Buffalo
Houston

This to me looks like a 3-13, 4-12 schedule AT BEST! And another top 5 pick in 2015!

Just when the people in Washington thought the "3'3 in RGIII meant three #1's it may well end up meaning 4, 5 or more!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Oh I agree assuming we get their first next year, but Clevelands division is pretty well set up to expect them to come in last again next year,so either one as far as I'm concerned

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, good observation RFIP.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good to point out that it is part of the decision process to look ahead in regards to who you are considering trading with for future picks. You've got to consider it. But as far as Cleveland/Oakland decision, I lean towards Cleveland because I'd be after their second 1st round pick this year. I love the depth of this draft and think difference makers exist all the way through the top of the 2nd round. I want it now in other words instead of next year. Otherwise, yes, Oakland would be my choice too as a trade partner when stacked up against Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Minnesota or Buffalo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I don't disagree about the Raiders, but the Browns are a mess too and the fact they are going in a total different direction again and don't have a plan in place as they sift through a bunch of coaches again is just plain ludicrous.

The one thing they did have in place under Chud was a very good coaching staff with Turner as the OC and Horton as the DC. Now they will have to start all over again and IMO who is their guy? Many thought McDaniels and now it's not. Some are reporting Ken Whisenhunt, but I don't see Whisenhunt going to Cleveland when he can head to the Motor City for more money and better talent.

In the end my fear for the Browns is they will end up with Broncos OC Adam Gase, that's right Adam "Freakin" Gase who has less experience then the guy they just fired and his coaching staff will not be close to what they had unless some how they keep it in tact.

So I don't hold out much hope for the Browns who will have a rookie playing QB this season in a division that still have good teams in it. The Raiders are hopeless too as their GM Reggie McKenzie is a joke and owner Mark Davis needs to sell the team before they win again.

IMO either team will be fine to trade with because the Browns have more picks and IMO they will not win 9 games next year as the Browns will begin the season with a new Head Coach most likely with no experience and a rookie QB with a less of a coaching staff.

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
Personally I think the play is for 3 firsts and 2 second this year

Swap #2 overall w CLE for their two firsts and trade our #13 pick back to the high teens / low 20s and pick up another second and fourth in the process.

Use the bounty to grab Watkins and the best available OT and DB in the first and pick up reinforcements at DL and OG with our two second rounders.

Alan

Legend
There are several teams that will always be bottom feeders and that has to do with their owners. The Rams are a good example of that. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't go wrong thinking you'll get a good pick with Cleveland or Oakland. Including thoughts about possible futures like RFIP did in the mix of your decision making is a very good idea. How much weight you should put on it is another story.

As for getting your goodies this year, I don't see it like Ramhusker. The Brown's second first round pick this year will probably get us a very good player as Husker said. But a much higher first round pick next year has more potential IMO. In addition. having two first round picks gives us quite a bit more flexibility at draft time. Whether it's trading up like we did last year (GRRR!!!) or trading down like we'll probably do this year.

I also think that every draft is deep through the first round and a half. Deep at what positions is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I'd take future pick (assuming all else is equal) is if I don't believe that Sam will come back strong. Otherwise I want to build a contender this year and believe we can do so with three firsts and a second.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The only reason I'd take future pick (assuming all else is equal) is if I don't believe that Sam will come back strong. Otherwise I want to build a contender this year and believe we can do so with three firsts and a second.

That's where I'm at on this. I want the holes plugged now and I see it happening this year with 5 top 50 picks which can be had with a trade with Cleveland. And of course if there is concern about Bradford, I'd definitely want two 1st rounders next year for that leverage to move up and get a Marcus Mariota.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm not 100% sure we will be able to trade down this year. I guess we will have to see the hype machine at work to know if someone will give us anything for that pick. The only guy at the top of the draft that impresses me is Watkins. I would stay put and take him @ #2

OhioRam

Rookie
What ever team is willing to give up the must....but I have been saying Oakland is a team that may
pull off a trade with us...They need a QB and need to sell tickets.
Oakland may give up a 2nd and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not 100% sure we will be able to trade down this year. I guess we will have to see the hype machine at work to know if someone will give us anything for that pick. The only guy at the top of the draft that impresses me is Watkins. I would stay put and take him @ #2
Same here. If we don't get Watkins, I would trade down even more. I don't see any of the OT's as being "elite". Good ... but not top 5 talent, IMHO. Value and ability to add picks in this draft and the future would be ideal. The other areas we need to shore up can be had a little farther down.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well there really can be no doubt a 1st this year and next with Oakland would bring us a MUCH higher return than what Indy's #1 this year will.

Patience young lamas, patience.

jjab360

Legend
I think Snead's no.1 objective right now is getting another high 1st round pick for next year. I wonder how long we can keep this going and when it's finally going to pay off.

jap

Legend
I think Snead's no.1 objective right now is getting another high 1st round pick for next year. I wonder how long we can keep this going and when it's finally going to pay off.

As long as possible, hopefully. The priority is shifting from just getting bodies to getting the final pieces on a playoff and possible championship team. The NFC West, being the league's toughest division, is an excellent proving ground for our young Horns. The only key difference makers missing in that division is an elite level QB (e.g., Payton, the man named Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc.), although I wonder if our Sam will not eve love into a Brees type with mature receivers and a standout OL.

OhioRam

Rookie
If they do get the a first next year from Oakland still like to see a pick thing year along with it even if it's a 3rd or 4th.
Number 5 this year along with a 3rd round pick and a first next year works for me....this is a very deep draft

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Only one team has draft capital to make the trade up is Cleveland ..they can offer up a first #4, their 2nd & a 3rd for our #2 and still have two first rders, a third and two 4ths to get what they want elsewhere.