I think Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
Explain to me who is going to play tackle if we don't draft one early and Barksdale isn't signed. And I mean good option not scrap heap. Serious question.

Well, it's hard to take that as a 'serious question' when you start out defining the parameters to fit only your preferred scenario. But....I'll play along for now....

* A trade is a possibility.
* An EJ Gaines equivalent on the OL is a possibility.
* Signing Barksdale on 7/1 is a possibility. Solving the RT 'issue' is not one that has to be resolved by the conclusion of the draft. It only needs to be resolved by the start of training camp.
* Signing a cap casualty is a possibility. And no a cap casualty is NOT necessarily a 'scrap heap' selection.

Selecting an OL with the first pick because "they're backed into a corner" is THE dictionary definition of a 'reach'.

AND it is not remotely any more a guarantee of getting a RT solution than any other possibility.

Anyone who believes selecting OL with the first pick is an absolute must absolutely should read the following article referenced in another post on this board......
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424954-the-one-that-got-away-nfl-execs-tell-the-tales-of-their-biggest-draft-misses

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's my whole point is not reaching in the first round or any round for that fact. But the reality is barksdale or a high draft pick are probably our best options at rot. Don't think counting on an ej gaines like hit in the late rounds or a cap casualty is really going to be the play that solidifies the line. That's precisely why I believe they need to get jb signed. It's not panic time by any means but having him in the fold gives us more options and more flexibility.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, it's hard to take that as a 'serious question' when you start out defining the parameters to fit only your preferred scenario. But....I'll play along for now....

* A trade is a possibility.
* An EJ Gaines equivalent on the OL is a possibility.
* Signing Barksdale on 7/1 is a possibility. Solving the RT 'issue' is not one that has to be resolved by the conclusion of the draft. It only needs to be resolved by the start of training camp.
* Signing a cap casualty is a possibility. And no a cap casualty is NOT necessarily a 'scrap heap' selection.

Selecting an OL with the first pick because "they're backed into a corner" is THE dictionary definition of a 'reach'.

AND it is not remotely any more a guarantee of getting a RT solution than any other possibility.

Anyone who believes selecting OL with the first pick is an absolute must absolutely should read the following article referenced in another post on this board......
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2424954-the-one-that-got-away-nfl-execs-tell-the-tales-of-their-biggest-draft-misses

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
What about moving Saffold to Rt,or resign Jake Long if needed ??
I would want to keep Saffold at guard where he's a beast and has not gotten injured. As far as Jake Long goes, everyone who reported on it said that the relationship is basically over and that he has no interest in resigning for less money

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Chris Long seemed a little,upset over it as well.It might go back to
time Fisher signed away from Miami.At what point as a coach do you have to go against something that was said 3 years ago.I guess in a sense it is a tough business .
Agree Saffold is a beast at guard.The added value of Roger Saffold is he can play 4 of the 5 Offensive line position well.He also is willing3' to play through injury.
Cameron Irving would bring that from center on out at 6'5 315.
Drafting Collins or b.shreff brings At

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yay......This Thursday night we will find out what the Rams consider a reach and what they don't. ...and if they have the o-linemen rated as high as some people have the no 3 or 4 wr in this draft.... either way I believe they will have the o-linemen figured out by the end of this weekend ( I believe that's why they haven't sign Barksdale or any other Fa offensive linemen they didn't want to be backed into a corner ). They may add people later as depth...but the projected starters will be drafted and fa....signed.. by Monday next week.......just my opinion. ... ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Explain to me who is going to play tackle if we don't draft one early and Barksdale isn't signed. And I mean good option not scrap heap. Serious question.

Rodger Saffold for one. Back in 2013 RS put Barksdale back on the bench until starting ORG Harvey Dahl crashed & finished his NFL career with a torn up knee & destroyed ankle. Its a myth that Barksdale beat Saffold out @RT late in 2013. The main reserve ORG was Shelley Smith who replaced Harvey when he was injured. SS play was so bad that it doomed him as a Ram reserve. So they had to look for another answer. The best interior OL reserve Tim Barnes was already starting for the IR's center Scott Wells. Reserve Barett Jones was still not healthy due to the earlier foot surgery. Brandon Washington was the only other reserve OL'er.

Fact was Barksdale was the best of all the remaining reserves. Bad thing about Barksdale only plays ONE position he is & has never been a viable NFL swing OT. The rest is factual history & Saffold was moved away from OT(not what he wanted to do) & Barksdale was inserted back @ ORT where he & Saffold had been part time starters until Saffold's Knee was sturdy enough for full time starting duty. So Saffold remains the No#1 candidate.

Boudreau has the Rams sign 7 yr veteran reserve ORT Garrett Reynolds as a back up/reserve. Reynolds has 52 NFL games & 27 starts under his belt. They also have the 6-8/ 26 yr old Steven Baker as the developmental Right OT. Then there is Barrett Jones...don't laugh here...Barrett is a smidgin under 6-5 & last yr listed around 310 pounds blessed with extra long arms & big hands. In 2012 I watched Barrett over & over handle the OT responsibilities in an outstanding way for the National Championship team as starting 1st team All American OT Barrett never permitted a sack in 287 pass attempts & only missed 6 assignments as a starting OT. If he had remained @ his starting OT position in 2013 season this question would have never been asked.

If its totally out of the question that the Rams remove Saffold from one of the starting OG post & the Rams draft a WR & QB with their top two selections then Barrett Jones is up to the job. While he may never cave in the right outside like Barksdale on running plays he will complete his assignment fully...& here's the best thing...he will not let Foles get molested on each & every pass play either like Joe Barksdale will certainly do.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@FrankenRam
I agree with your premise that we don't NEED to draft a 1st round talent, I just believe we really should...We may find a diamond in the rough, a Donovan Smith comes to mind...Maybe that kid outta Va. Tech....But it would be wise to invest some needed draft capital on more talented players early....At least for Foles & Mason's success...Probably Quick, Britt, Tavon, and Sted too..

FrankenRam

Starter
@FrankenRam
I agree with your premise that we don't NEED to draft a 1st round talent, I just believe we really should...We may find a diamond in the rough, a Donovan Smith comes to mind...Maybe that kid outta Va. Tech....But it would be wise to invest some needed draft capital on more talented players early....At least for Foles & Mason's success...Probably Quick, Britt, Tavon, and Sted too..

I think maybe I didn't explain my thought well enough. I actually do think we need to draft a 1st round talent. :)

I just don't want to see the Rams do so because 'we're backed into a corner'. If they have an OL on their board that they rate roughly equally to any other player available at that pick, I'm fine with them taking the OL. In fact, I'd prefer it.

My only contention is....suppose they don't trade out of the #10 pick and when it comes around, the highest rated OL on their board is (for sake of discussion) the 15th highest rated suspect on that board. And he is available. But also available is a DE who they have rated the 5th best player on the board. IMO, you have to take the DE in that scenario.

That's all I've been trying to say.....just poorly. I get a bad case of the 'b-b-b-b-b-b-u-t-s' when people start talking about scenarios that have a distinctly 'reach' aroma.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO, you have to take the DE in that scenario.
Agreed, Firm believer in BPA as well...at 10, without a trade back in place, we'll probably go WR (White only for me), DE/OLB (I'm kinda liking Bud Dupree/Vic Beasley/ or the Nebraska Guy & Fowler) 0r...swallows hard, RB (Todd Gurley)...
Only way we grab a OT is if Flowers is there and they feel he'll be dominant at RT, like I do...
Hoping for trade backs has been a way of life for 4 years now...

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[QUOinterE="LACHAMP46, post: 548601, member: 876"]Agreed, Firm believer in BPA as well...at 10, without a trade back in place, we'll probably go WR (White only for me), DE/OLB (I'm kinda liking Bud Dupree/Vic Beasley/ or the Nebraska Guy & Fowler) 0r...swallows hard, RB (Todd Gurley)...
Only way we grab a OT is if Flowers is there and they feel he'll be dominant at RT, like I do...
Hoping for trade backs has been a way of life for 4 years now...[/QUOTE]

The I
I think maybe I didn't explain my thought well enough. I actually do think we need to draft a 1st round talent. :)

I just don't want to see the Rams do so because 'we're backed into a corner'. If they have an OL on their board that they rate roughly equally to any other player available at that pick, I'm fine with them taking the OL. In fact, I'd prefer it.

My only contention is....suppose they don't trade out of the #10 pick and when it comes around, the highest rated OL on their board is (for sake of discussion) the 15th highest rated suspect on that board. And he is available. But also available is a DE who they have rated the 5th best player on the board. IMO, you have to take the DE in that scenario.

That's all I've been trying to say.....just poorly. I get a bad case of the 'b-b-b-b-b-b-u-t-s' when people start talking about scenarios that have a distinctly 'reach' aroma.

the internet can be funny like that. Sometimes your having an argument with somebody you actually are agreeing with.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I really, really hope we don't reach for a linemen because we have holes and miss out on a possibly better prospect