I swear they do this for attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gotta agree the Rams would take Mariota. Wouldn't be the end of the world, they could move back into the first round and take an OT who has a chance to start then get a OG in round 3.

I'd still prefer they get the higher ranked OL and then draft Petty but I couldn't complain with the above tbh.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Actually it IS about 2015. This year is crucial to our franchise. With the whole relocation thing we need have a great season this year. We cannot afford to spend a 1st rounder on a QB who won't play this year. Great QBs come out every single draft. Mariota just isn't that special IMO.

No it isn't. While it may mean something for fans, a possible relocation will have absolutely nothing to do with the draft (or season) for the Rams organization, nor should it.

Besides, haven't you noticed that most rookies don't make the immediate impact many fans expect? Filling a potential hole with a player doesn't mean that player is actually playing well enough to help the team win games.

And c'mon. If great QBs came out every single draft then every single team would have one.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No it isn't. While it may mean something for fans, a possible relocation will have absolutely nothing to do with the draft (or season) for the Rams organization, nor should it.

Besides, haven't you noticed that most rookies don't make the immediate impact many fans expect? Filling a potential hole with a player doesn't mean that player is actually playing well enough to help the team win games.

And c'mon. If great QBs came out every single draft then every single team would have one.
I should rephrase myself. Great "potential" QBs come out every draft. There will be another Mariota next season. And the season after that. Also, recent history, at least for the Rams, has shown that our first rounders make an impact in their first season. Brockers, Austin and Donald were all important pieces to the team their rookie seasons. And they made a difference. If we took Mariota at 10 and missed out on a HOF guard or tackle because we reached for a potential franchise QB, it would be a fatal mistake in such a crucial year.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/charles-davis/245604?campaign=Facebook_cfb_davis

Even though we have Foles, he thinks we should draft Mariota? So then we have two QBs for our Oline to get hurt? He can't possibly think this is a good idea right?
I will preface this by saying that I don't want Mariota at 10. That being said, if he is there you take him unless someone offers a trade that you feel is a better value. If no one offers a good value of picks to us, we have to take him unless we have another player rated better.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I will preface this by saying that I don't want Mariota at 10. That being said, if he is there you take him unless someone offers a trade that you feel is a better value. If no one offers a good value of picks to us, we have to take him unless we have another player rated better.
So even though all we talk about is our massive holes on the Oline, you'd still be ok with taking a QB in the first? I don't understand the logic behind this.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So even though all we talk about is our massive holes on the Oline, you'd still be ok with taking a QB in the first? I don't understand the logic behind this.
The logic I'm using is that we have other draft picks in which we can fill holes in the O-line.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
And if Foles tanks, we're doubly fucked as we have no alternative going into the 2016 season but a hope and a prayer a strong QB emerges (Hackenburger) or even within our reach (Jones).

If Foles blows it up, you trade Mariota to a desperate team for their first 3 picks or something.

I agree, that could happen. I do want a QB drafted this year in case Foles tanks or we just cant retain him after this year, just not Marriota @ 10. I'm not a big fan of his and id rather see Cooper or the best OL player drafted at 10.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I should rephrase myself. Great "potential" QBs come out every draft. There will be another Mariota next season. And the season after that. Also, recent history, at least for the Rams, has shown that our first rounders make an impact in their first season. Brockers, Austin and Donald were all important pieces to the team their rookie seasons. And they made a difference. If we took Mariota at 10 and missed out on a HOF guard or tackle because we reached for a potential franchise QB, it would be a fatal mistake in such a crucial year.

I'd argue that even great "potential" QBs don't come out in every draft. But, even if they did, that doesn't mean the Rams would have a shot at one. This is why teams trade so much just for the opportunity to move up and select these guys (plus their overall impact).

Brockers, Austin, Donald, and even Robinson played. But, the only player to make much of an impact as a rookie that perhaps a stopgap couldn't compete with was Donald.

I don't know what Mariota will turn out to be, but if the Rams view him as a potential franchise guy, they'd be nuts to pass on him. The impact of the position is overwhelmingly greater vs. one OLineman who can do nothing without 4 other players with him on the same page. Besides, I can't recall a HOF G or T leading his team to a Championship. But, I can think of several very good OLines without a HOF player.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Take MM at 10
We have Foles on a 1 year deal. If he plays well we may be outbid for him.
If he plays poorly, we won't want him back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually it IS about 2015. This year is crucial to our franchise. With the whole relocation thing we need have a great season this year. We cannot afford to spend a 1st rounder on a QB who won't play this year. Great QBs come out every single draft. Mariota just isn't that special IMO.

No. It's not. The draft is much less about 2015 than it is about 2016, 2017, 2018, and beyond.

If the Rams see Mariota as a potential franchise QB, they'd be fools not to pick him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No. It's not. The draft is much less about 2015 than it is about 2016, 2017, 2018, and beyond.

If the Rams see Mariota as a potential franchise QB, they'd be fools not to pick him.
For the team ,undoubtedly, but let's hope that our coach and GM feel comfortable in their jobs. If not, let's be honest, it will be about next year. I hope that is NOT the case.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

That hasn't been their mantra though. They've drafted players every year to make a difference and fill a need that year. It's season 4 in the Snisher era, we need results. No more of this future bull. It's silly for them to think that you can build a team to compete for 10 years. It just doesnt happen in this league. Get us to the damn playoffs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That hasn't been their mantra though. They've drafted players every year to make a difference and fill a need that year. It's season 4 in the Snisher era, we need results. No more of this future bull. It's silly for them to think that you can build a team to compete for 10 years. It just doesnt happen in this league. Get us to the damn playoffs.

It hasn't been? Seems to me that it has been. They've taken plenty of chances on talented but raw players that needed development like Greg Robinson, Alec Ogletree, Brian Quick, etc. And then you had a pure BVA pick in Aaron Donald last year.

You just want to get to the damn playoffs? Fine. But I want this team to be a contender year in and year out.

Athos

Legend
Word. I don't want a flash pan year of success or almost success.

I want to building something that for fucking once in my lifetime, lasts more than pretty much two or three years then gets snuffed out.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It hasn't been? Seems to me that it has been. They've taken plenty of chances on talented but raw players that needed development like Greg Robinson, Alec Ogletree, Brian Quick, etc. And then you had a pure BVA pick in Aaron Donald last year.

You just want to get to the damn playoffs? Fine. But I want this team to be a contender year in and year out.
Maybe, but they're obviously confident in their ability to develop(side bar:anyone think this word looks fucking stupid? I never know how to spell it)them. I get that they've gone BPA, but each year the rookie has been in the plans to start. That won't be the case with Mariota or any QB we draft.

And yes, I would absolutely take just playoffs. Beggars can't be choosers right? As Rams fans haven't we been begging for a playoff season? If you haven't noticed, playoffs become a trend when you start winning in them. It's all about confidence in your ability to get there. Our team is plenty talented enough. The Pats throw random players in every year and still get there. Yeah, they have Tom Brady, and that's an argument to draft Mariota, but aren't you just a little desperate to see a super bowl patch on a Rams jersey for ONE season? Because my patience is running dry.

Athos

Legend

Finding a quality QB is inherently more difficult than finding a good lineman.

Yeah, they have Tom Brady, and that's an argument to draft Mariota, but aren't you just a little desperate to see a super bowl patch on a Rams jersey for ONE season? Because my patience is running dry.

As opposed to a playoff appearance that doesn't guarantee shit either? I'm not sure what argument you're making, but it doesn't seem to be a very good one.

QB is THE position in the NFL. If you have a chance to really cover your ass, you do so. Snisher should have learned that last year when they fucked up not taking a QB in a fairly deep QB class all things considered.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I disagree. The Rams need 100% of our draft picks this year to contribute. Mariota isn't going to be better then Foles this year. Not making the playoffs this year is out of the question.

This is where I slightly disagree. I think this team is playoff ready. The defense is playoff caliber already and if we have a QB last year we might have been a playoff team last year. That being said if we get anything out of the QB position this year I believe we are a playoff team. Grabbing a guy like Mariota gives us some options not only now but for the future. We need to see Foles for 16 games in our system to see if he fits. If he does and you sign him, then Mariota could be traded. If Foles fails then Mariota could be your QB of the future.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Finding a quality QB is inherently more difficult than finding a good lineman.

As opposed to a playoff appearance that doesn't guarantee crap either? I'm not sure what argument you're making, but it doesn't seem to be a very good one.

QB is THE position in the NFL. If you have a chance to really cover your ass, you do so. Snisher should have learned that last year when they fucked up not taking a QB in a fairly deep QB class all things considered.
My argument is that we should be trying to make a run at the playoffs THIS YEAR. It's a huge year in our free agent department. We're gunna end up losing key compotents to our team and have to draft new guys to replace them. I definetely see your side of the spectrum. But I would be more inclined to draft a QB if we had already made the playoffs or even had a good record. I mean really, who says that we're that close? We could of went 3-13 easily last season. Does a good QB change that scenario that drastically when as a team, we only had 3 quality wins all season? I just don't think it does. Nick Foles is good enough to get us the playoffs. Let's keep building the ins and outs of the team and then decide if drafting a QB will take us further.

Athos

Legend
My argument is that we should be trying to make a run at the playoffs THIS YEAR

We are. That was the entire basis for trading for Foles imo and adding Fairley.

One pick in the 1st isn't going to make or break our chances of drafting a good lineman. Come off that.