I rewatched the Bucs game last night…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Sure glad I did.

I forced myself to watch the Ram interior OL. Well, I came away impressed. I had thought that they played well as I originally watched the game but now I’ve gotta say that they generally truly excelled. All of them. Honestly, the improvement on this OL this year is amazing. I credit a combo of Carberry, Allen, and the Stafford upgrade. Someone pinch me!

Upon rewatching, it was heartwarming to see these OL players blocking 20 yards downfield at times. And their blocking on screens was impressive.

Stafford gives the impression that he’s always in control and it clearly rubs off on his teammates. I was a huge fan of the trade at the time but now I realize that I had actually underestimated Stafford’s value. We are in good hands at QB and I fervently hope that Rams extend him ASAP. A no brainer.

Higbee is gonna be a big part of this Rams O this year. Not easy to do with 4 such talented WR’s, I know, but you can see his value on key plays throughout each game. Both McVay and Stafford love him.

This Ram DL is a beauty. They just shut down that Bucs running game and made the Bucs one dimensional, never a good thing. Constantly made Brady uncomfortable, too.

Jourdan confirmed that Floyd has been playing through a high ankle sprain, so his performance is pretty impressive, considering. He had another nice game.

It was great to see Lewis flashing and I would love to see him able to contribute 30 snaps a game. I still have my doubts and believe the Rams should keep drafting that position but meanwhile I’m really pulling for the kid. He is a playmaker mofo.

WTH is Morris thinking with all those Ramsey blitzes? Seriously? Morris erases his best player in the secondary when he does that. C’mon…

I remain convinced that Morris semi-neutered DW, Long, and Rapp in his soft zone scheme. Ask yourself if you’d prefer Staley or Morris in a hypothetical straight up choice for DC. It’s a no brainer for me. Sigh…

Gay is money. Greg who? Lol.

Great to see Hekker have an effective game once again. Coverage teams bounced back nicely, too.

I’m finding it hard to think of an area on this Ram team that really needs to be worried about. We’re thin at RB and WOLB, I guess, but neither looks critical. TBH, I haven’t been this confident about our coaching, QB, OL, and D since the GSOT days.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Agree on Ramsey usage. it would seem you could find another of the 11 defenders and get the same result. I don't believe he sacked the qb. But him shutting down any receiver cannot be down by any one else consistently. I wish he would stop fucking around.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think you're not seeing the big picture with Ramsey

Ok so we know this, he's a lockdown corner, probably the best in the NFL. So he has that in his pocket, and he also plays very very well on the LOS. He's a big DB that isn't afraid to lay the wood on a bigger TE or RB. With that being said, if you look at the Ramsey Blitz packages and cover packages, they are made to confuse the opposing Offenses, Say he's in the slot (where he's been playing an awful lot this year) and it looks like he is in coverage, as a QB you're going to tell yourself, Ok my slot is covered I have to go to another read before the play even starts. After the snap Ramsey blitzes and the slot is picked up by someone else. You've now disguised a coverage and now your Oline has to make a choice on the fly on who to pick up on the blitz.

Ramsey playing the star position is all about disguise and getting the opposing offense to make a mistake. Which if you saw last game, it happened a couple of times. One on the strip sack with Donald and the other where Donald and Ramsey came off the same side and slapped down one of Brady's passes.

Also, if you look at last year, the Rams defense didn't heat up until about mid season. It took sometime to get acclimated to Staley's defense. I expect the same with Morris's Defense. While we might take a slight step back from last year due to losing a couple key components on D, I also expect Rapp and Fuller to get better.
In regards to Rapp, if you remember he had a great rookie season, by no means was he DRPOY but he was very solid. Yes, he had an injury but he's also had 3 Defensive coords since being here, and didn't really play last year too often due to injury. It's going to take him time to get back to what we saw his rookie year. I expect big things from him.

Hope this answered some of your concerns on D.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think you're not seeing the big picture with Ramsey

Ok so we know this, he's a lockdown corner, probably the best in the NFL. So he has that in his pocket, and he also plays very very well on the LOS. He's a big DB that isn't afraid to lay the wood on a bigger TE or RB. With that being said, if you look at the Ramsey Blitz packages and cover packages, they are made to confuse the opposing Offenses, Say he's in the slot (where he's been playing an awful lot this year) and it looks like he is in coverage, as a QB you're going to tell yourself, Ok my slot is covered I have to go to another read before the play even starts. After the snap Ramsey blitzes and the slot is picked up by someone else. You've now disguised a coverage and now your Oline has to make a choice on the fly on who to pick up on the blitz.

Ramsey playing the star position is all about disguise and getting the opposing offense to make a mistake. Which if you saw last game, it happened a couple of times. One on the strip sack with Donald and the other where Donald and Ramsey came off the same side and slapped down one of Brady's passes.

Also, if you look at last year, the Rams defense didn't heat up until about mid season. It took sometime to get acclimated to Staley's defense. I expect the same with Morris's Defense. While we might take a slight step back from last year due to losing a couple key components on D, I also expect Rapp and Fuller to get better.
In regards to Rapp, if you remember he had a great rookie season, by no means was he DRPOY but he was very solid. Yes, he had an injury but he's also had 3 Defensive coords since being here, and didn't really play last year too often due to injury. It's going to take him time to get back to what we saw his rookie year. I expect big things from him.

Hope this answered some of your concerns on D.
I get that. It was brought up during the game last week. I can see value in that. I just think you can get enamored with being to tricky and looking smarter than everyone else. Before you know it you will see the qb throwing over the d on one of those plays for a TD because of some tendency that pops up. Murry should not be able to throw over the top of our D. It is to good just doing what it was doing last year. Plus we are stouter up the middle against the run. I just don't want us to out think ourselves.

Lets put it this way. We have the star and blitz packages in our pocket. Can pull it out when needed and that is good, but Ramsey's true strength and what really puts everyone else on the D in the best position to succeed is Ramsey on an Island. Especially with this QB we are playing. He might say Oh looks like that guy is out of the picture cause Ramsey is on him. But he starts running around and he will see that same guy open deep later in the play cause he juked Ramsey. Reeder is a good blitzer. I look at risk/reward and I think we can get the same pressure on the QB without risking as much.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I get that. It was brought up during the game last week. I can see value in that. I just think you can get enamored with being to tricky and looking smarter than everyone else. Before you know it you will see the qb throwing over the d on one of those plays for a TD because of some tendency that pops up. Murry should not be able to throw over the top of our D. It is to good just doing what it was doing last year. Plus we are stouter up the middle against the run. I just don't want us to out think ourselves.

Lets put it this way. We have the star and blitz packages in our pocket. Can pull it out when needed and that is good, but Ramsey's true strength and what really puts everyone else on the D in the best position to succeed is Ramsey on an Island. Especially with this QB we are playing. He might say Oh looks like that guy is out of the picture cause Ramsey is on him. But he starts running around and he will see that same guy open deep later in the play cause he juked Ramsey. Reeder is a good blitzer. I look at risk/reward and I think we can get the same pressure on the QB without risking as much.

Well maybe we see more of that with a mobile QB. Not sure how the Rams will play it

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm no offensive line expert. So I generally look at the obvious. The obvious is Stafford is not under constant pressure. PFF has been rating them pretty high so far. Allen has not hurt us like we thought he would. So for those of us who complained all offseason about not drafting or signing a center and other linemen, maybe they know more about that than we do.

tempests

Hall of Fame

They're trying to have him be around the ball more, impact more plays, rather than having the QB throw to where he isn't all the time. It's giving an offense something else to be concerned with.

Deion Sanders is a player who would be wasted on a blitz. Ramsey is physical enough tackler that he can sack the QB and probably force a turnover on the play.

sloramfan

Starter
'if raheem doesn't stick ramsey on hopkins he's getting too cute"...

bullshit...

if raheem doesn't stick ramsey on hopkins, he needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY.....

go rams

slo

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nuk is recovering from an injury and they have other weapons.
I have zero problem with mixing it up.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I didn't mind the Ramsey blitzes all too much. What pissed me off was watching Fuller blitz, only to not get even close to Brady as he delivered a throw for a big gain.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm no offensive line expert. So I generally look at the obvious. The obvious is Stafford is not under constant pressure. PFF has been rating them pretty high so far. Allen has not hurt us like we thought he would. So for those of us who complained all offseason about not drafting or signing a center and other linemen, maybe they know more about that than we do.
A second or third year player that's been in the system and the Rams decided to keep him because he's developing is going to be better than most offensive lineman you could find after the fourth or fifth round, (with the hopes of inserting him as a rookie).

But that all ends next year as they have to re-sign players AND make a couple of highish draft picks.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple OL players taken before the 4th round in the 2022 draft.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I didn't mind the Ramsey blitzes all too much. What pissed me off was watching Fuller blitz, only to not get even close to Brady as he delivered a throw for a big gain.
Brady is famous for doing that when he is blitz.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A second or third year player that's been in the system and the Rams decided to keep him because he's developing is going to be better than most offensive lineman you could find after the fourth or fifth round, (with the hopes of inserting him as a rookie).

But that all ends next year as they have to re-sign players AND make a couple of highish draft picks.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple OL players taken before the 4th round in the 2022 draft.

Yeah, they will definitely have to do something next offseason. Corbett and Allen both were drafted in 2018. This is their final year. Edwards and Havenstein have another year. Whitworth has gotta be close to retiring. Who knows if he plays another season? Its also Noteboom's final year.

But this is another year they are all in. Naysayers on more than one Rams forum, and media pundits, stated as fact they made a big mistake not drafting linemen early and often. Or spending all their cap resources on more linemen. They now have the continuity they wanted by not listening to them. Sometimes they know more than the so called "experts" about their situation there.

My guess is, because they're all in they didn't want to go through the development phase this year with more inexperienced guys. That inexperience was the biggest problem in 2019. They looked to the draft for guys they thought could contribute faster. So far they haven't made an early contribution. But its still early. Not to mention they figure to be a contender next season too. These guys will have a year of experience in the system by then.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, they will definitely have to do something next offseason. Corbett and Allen both were drafted in 2018. This is their final year. Edwards and Havenstein have another year. Whitworth has gotta be close to retiring. Who knows if he plays another season? Its also Noteboom's final year.

But this is another year they are all in. Naysayers on more than one Rams forum, and media pundits, stated as fact they made a big mistake not drafting linemen early and often. Or spending all their cap resources on more linemen. They now have the continuity they wanted by not listening to them. Sometimes they know more than the so called "experts" about their situation there.

My guess is, because they're all in they didn't want to go through the development phase this year with more inexperienced guys. That inexperience was the biggest problem in 2019. They looked to the draft for guys they thought could contribute faster. So far they haven't made an early contribution. But its still early. Not to mention they figure to be a contender next season too. These guys will have a year of experience in the system by then.
I doubt we're looking at rookies starting at any spot on the Rams line next year.
I'd expect them to keep 2 of three of Noteboom, Allen and Corbett.
They'll probably lose SJD and Williams on defense.. I'm hoping they can find a way to keep SJD.
I wonder what kind of payday Kenny Young will get if he keeps up his play? Will the Rams keep him and have Jones and Young? Doesn't seem likely with how little they play to ILB together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams have a trend of drafting for the second year tbh. They just keep adding guys who "fit" what they're looking for in terms of ones who love the game and have the right skills they're after, and then coach them up under what is clearly a fantastic staff.

So using SJD as an example we have B Brown waiting in the wings. Or using Williams we have Rochell.

Even on offense I think we have churn coming as it is required to stay on top when you're paying those top players. The mid level guys who are getting sort of paid are the firing squad targets on that. If you can replace what they do with a second year pick that's what's going to happen. So for this offseason Woody is a potential target that will piss off fans simply because they've drafted Jefferson and Atwell and have them in the pipeline.

Of course someone will swoop in talking shit about how they've been mentioned before. Ok. So what. Doesn't change the model the Rams use. It's a meritocracy in every way but it's also a business. If you can be replaced by a young player on his first contract there's a reasonable chance the Rams will do that. It's not personal. This is a team and organization on a mission and the players are just renting spots short term, and while that's true with all teams it is moreso true with the Rams than the others IMO.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams have a trend of drafting for the second year tbh. They just keep adding guys who "fit" what they're looking for in terms of ones who love the game and have the right skills they're after, and then coach them up under what is clearly a fantastic staff.

So using SJD as an example we have B Brown waiting in the wings. Or using Williams we have Rochell.

Even on offense I think we have churn coming as it is required to stay on top when you're paying those top players. The mid level guys who are getting sort of paid are the firing squad targets on that. If you can replace what they do with a second year pick that's what's going to happen. So for this offseason Woody is a potential target that will piss off fans simply because they've drafted Jefferson and Atwell and have them in the pipeline.

Of course someone will swoop in talking shit about how they've been mentioned before. Ok. So what. Doesn't change the model the Rams use. It's a meritocracy in every way but it's also a business. If you can be replaced by a young player on his first contract there's a reasonable chance the Rams will do that. It's not personal. This is a team and organization on a mission and the players are just renting spots short term, and while that's true with all teams it is moreso true with the Rams than the others IMO.
Yeah, Bobby Brown has all the physical traits of a top-flight interior guy... can't wait to see him develop.

Along with the train of thought you're on here.. I think they'd be more likely to move on from A'Shawn than Woods because of the size of the dead cap hit. I think SJD is flexible enough, position wise, but maybe I'm off on that.

Coaching, personality and maturity/growth are a huge part of the Rams development program and it shows.

The Corbett thing is going to be interesting to watch. He's playing at a very high level and you could easily see him get $10 mil on the open market this offseason. The Rams have Anchrum, Brewer and Hocker in position to compete for the spot. You have to make choices because of the cap.

They'll have $18 million if Whit retires, if I did the math right. But, I think they could make Stafford's hit almost nothing when they extend him and that could be a way to keep all three FAs on the line.

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
I think Higbee is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL. I also think Stafford is gonna change that. This will be a good week to test our defense with a running scrambling crazy-like quarterback. With Green and Hopkins our defense has its hands full. I wish Goff well... He's a great kid, but I'm so glad we have Stafford. GO RAMS!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I doubt we're looking at rookies starting at any spot on the Rams line next year.
I'd expect them to keep 2 of three of Noteboom, Allen and Corbett.
They'll probably lose SJD and Williams on defense.. I'm hoping they can find a way to keep SJD.
I wonder what kind of payday Kenny Young will get if he keeps up his play? Will the Rams keep him and have Jones and Young? Doesn't seem likely with how little they play to ILB together.

I don't know what their cap situation will be next year. But I think they figure to a top contender next year too. I agree they might keep 2 guys. If Allen continues to play like he has, I'd prefer it be Allen and Corbett. Although Noteboom might not cost too much being a backup. They might be able to bring all 3 back. I think maybe next offseason is when they start drafting more linemen for the future. Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Corbett and Havenstein should be ok if they go that route.

I do think they might lose more on defense than offense. But that's ok. These days a good offense is more important. Even if they're a middle of the road defense they should win plenty if they bring back most of their offensive starters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Along with the train of thought you're on here.. I think they'd be more likely to move on from A'Shawn than Woods because of the size of the dead cap hit. I think SJD is flexible enough, position wise, but maybe I'm off on that.

Yeah and re: Ashawn I don't have a feel one way or the other. I've been all over that dude's nuts but it looks like I was wrong on him. Just sort of waiting for him to do it for more than a few games. At this point he looks locked in though and at least he's holding up as a stout run stuffer which is valuable. Can he do more, i.e. start giving us some pass rush? Not seeing that from him and doubt he's suddenly gonna beast out but either way I'm not too concerned about it. For now I'll take what he's doing and be glad we have a good rotation going up front.

The fact is last year vs Green Bay the run defense prevented us from being able to get Rodgers into enough third and long situations. It was clearly a priority for the Rams this offseason to improve and each game we've seen so far they've gotten better up front. And while it's early I do think we're gonna be more stout this year and in the playoffs in stopping run games.

Re: Corbett I agree it seems like they'll go with Anchrum to replace him. I think Anchrum's gonna start for us at guard or tackle at some point and probably next year. Take that third round comp pick for Corbs and move on. Where I'm not comfortable is center if they let Allen go. Rams had a hell of a time finding a center and I don't want to go through that again. But there's a lot going on with the OL like whether Whit will be there next year, so many unknowns. And it's also interesting that the QB affects center so maybe it's easier to find one when you have a vet QB who has all those protections down cold. We'll see.