I know, it's early

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I should wait until around week 10 to ask this, but I just love the draft. So if anyone feels like talking draft on a college football Saturday, I have some interesting questions:
1. Is there a position other than QB, that the rams can afford to draft early? The dline has been stacked, we look set at corner, we have used premium picks on WR,OT, and LB recently. Seems like QB might be the missing link.
2. If the rams end up at the middle of the pack or lower as expected, do you take a shot on the talented but troubles Jameis Winston? Is there a chance that we could be in the Mariotta race?
3. First let me say that I love Bradford and I want him as our starting qb next year at a discount. But is that a gamble that the rams can afford to take? With the injuries and the unknown potential?
Bonus question: I WANT AMARI COOPER OR TODD GURLY IN HORNS NEXT YEAR. What are the chances, in your opinion, that either of these is plausible.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Maybe I should wait until around week 10 to ask this, but I just love the draft. So if anyone feels like talking draft on a college football Saturday, I have some interesting questions:
1. Is there a position other than QB, that the rams can afford to draft early? The dline has been stacked, we look set at corner, we have used premium picks on WR,OT, and LB recently. Seems like QB might be the missing link.
2. If the rams end up at the middle of the pack or lower as expected, do you take a shot on the talented but troubles Jameis Winston? Is there a chance that we could be in the Mariotta race?
3. First let me say that I love Bradford and I want him as our starting qb next year at a discount. But is that a gamble that the rams can afford to take? With the injuries and the unknown potential?
Bonus question: I WANT AMARI COOPER OR TODD GURLY IN HORNS NEXT YEAR. What are the chances, in your opinion, that either of these is plausible.

1. It all just depends on the board and your position. I don't think you can ever force yourself on a player if there is one that you have ranked higher available. Look at how the seahags and sf got their QBs. It's easier to win and develop a quarterback from any system if you already have a talented team built around him. Outside of quarterback I would say we could still use some help at oline too. No one is getting any younger, and none of them can even play the pre-season because they're all so injury prone. Doesn't necessarily mean we have to draft there, I would be ok with us drafting any position next year as long as the player warranted it.

2. Yes, and Idk. If the Rams think they have a shot at Winston and they're interested, they'll do their homework. They've been able to judge character pretty good so far imo. Having Fisher in the locker room makes a difference too.

3. You have to go into next season with another starting caliber qb. I believe that's been made blatantly obvious to the Rams. Is he already on the roster? I honestly don't know, but I would imagine not. Sorry, but I really don't think so as of now.

The real question imo is do you keep Bradford on at his current salary next year? His cap hit is close to 16.5 next year I think. Will he be willing to negotiate? Do you give him an ultimatum? Etc. Etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Rams handle the situation this offseason.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. It all just depends on the board and your position. I don't think you can ever force yourself on a player if there is one that you have ranked higher available. Look at how the seahags and sf got their QBs. It's easier to win and develop a quarterback from any system if you already have a talented team built around him. Outside of quarterback I would say we could still use some help at oline too. No one is getting any younger, and none of them can even play the pre-season because they're all so injury prone. Doesn't necessarily mean we have to draft there, I would be ok with us drafting any position next year as long as the player warranted it.

2. Yes, and Idk. If the Rams think they have a shot at Winston and they're interested, they'll do their homework. They've been able to judge character pretty good so far imo. Having Fisher in the locker room makes a difference too.

3. You have to go into next season with another starting caliber qb. I believe that's been made blatantly obvious to the Rams. Is he already on the roster? I honestly don't know, but I would imagine not. Sorry, but I really don't think so as of now.

The real question imo is do you keep Bradford on at his current salary next year? His cap hit is close to 16.5 next year I think. Will he be willing to negotiate? Do you give him an ultimatum? Etc. Etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Rams handle the situation this offseason.
I don't think they can justify keeping Bradford at that salary. But how far of a cut would he be willing to take? At this point 8-10 is all he would be worth to me until he plays a healthy season of starting caliber quality. But can he swallow that pill? That's almost half of his yearly salary. I would like I are sam starting next year with a high pick on a qb in the draft. So many question marks as well. How well can he play with a twice repaired acl? Has he plateaued as a player? Seems like it's been a decade since the rams had a decent team. The wait is killin me

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Agreed we go QB, or trade down.

No way in heck do I see the Rams in a position to draft Mariota next year. Unless we put and RG3-esk deal on the table, he will be a Raider. Let's not do that.

I want Bradford back at a reduced cost, the guys love him.

Alan

Legend
It's way too early to say this but as of today, we need an OT, OG, OC, OLB and a FS more than we need a QB IMO.

We need a better back up QB that's for sure.Maybe our future back up QB is already on the team but I have my doubts. Who's to say this early in the process where in the draft we can pick one up.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Wether the Rams gamble on Bradford or not, they still need to be in the market for a day 1 or 2 quarterback.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm gonna be in the draft a QB crowd. But I'd also like to have Bradford take a pay cut if he wants to stay with us and compete for the starting job. If he says no, we should cut him.

However, if the QB prospects aren't looking as good as we expected and there's an elite talent on the board, I wouldn't mind getting one of those. But QB is definitely the #1 need.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Too early to tell who is going to need QBs, whether we'll be in a position to draft one, or even whether we'll need to draft one.

I love draft talk, but at this point in the season, I think the focus should be on the prospects rather than team needs as none of us have a clue how the next four months are going to play out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Too early to tell who is going to need QBs, whether we'll be in a position to draft one, or even whether we'll need to draft one.

I love draft talk, but at this point in the season, I think the focus should be on the prospects rather than team needs as none of us have a clue how the next four months are going to play out.

^ this.

I am curious how we address insurance with Sam, but this all feels premature.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
^ this.

I am curious how we address insurance with Sam, but this all feels premature.

Agree. I love looking at prospects - and for me its never too early to talk draft. But its pretty clear that its too early now to talk about need or even draft position. Even then we see guys climb the boards after the combine. Its really only then that you can start to guess where guys are going to go.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For me it's just waaaaay to early to be talking specific's about the Draft. Too much can happen in the next14 weeks!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Cooper is the best WR in the draft. Guys was a stud today. Did a good job when lined up against Hargreaves. Hargreaves had some good moments but seemed to get hurt multiple times during the game. Guy is like a twig, needs some major bulking up since he is a fearless defender.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Cooper is the best WR in the draft. Guys was a stud today. Did a good job when lined up against Hargreaves. Hargreaves had some good moments but seemed to get hurt multiple times during the game. Guy is like a twig, needs some major bulking up since he is a fearless defender.

Cooper is a stud. Really interested in him. Think DGB can still be better though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Cooper is a stud. Really interested in him. Think DGB can still be better though.

DGB has the potential, he is an athletic freak close to megatron. Also had improved a lot last year. DGB needs to gow the hell up and stop being a dumb ass though.

Still love Cooper, great routes, great hands and seems all there mentally, think it would take him less time to transition as well. Might also be a better fit for Shcotty system.

I don't think DGB will come out this year either but who knows.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Right now, I'd say that getting a good young center is just as important as getting a young quarterback of the future. It really is unfortunate, especially since he appears to be a great person, but Scott Wells just hasn't been the same player that he was for the Packers. Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes can compete for the backup spot, but we're going to need a bona-fide starter at that position.

Wide receiver could also end up being a need, as Britt and Pettis are on the last year of their respective contracts, as well as Givens not seeming like a viable option as anything other than a deep threat. Quick, Austin, and Bailey look solid as a starting three, and I'd like to keep Pettis, but we'll need at least two more.

Tight end worries me because both Kendricks and Harkey are free agents after this season. Hopefully we can keep them both, but if we can't do that, we'll definitely need another one.

Free safety is potentially a need because McLeod is in his final year. I personally believe that he's a good safety, but he might not be resigned because of more pressing needs (such as Kendricks, Harkey, and Hekker).

As for quarterbacks...let's see where we finish first.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DGB has the potential, he is an athletic freak close to megatron. Also had improved a lot last year. DGB needs to gow the hell up and stop being a dumb ass though.

Still love Cooper, great routes, great hands and seems all there mentally, think it would take him less time to transition as well. Might also be a better fit for Shcotty system.

I don't think DGB will come out this year either but who knows.

I guarantee that DGB will come out. He has so much to lose by staying in college and fucking up again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I guarantee that DGB will come out. He has so much to lose by staying in college and freaking up again.

I think he has more to gain if he stays. He got in trouble for dragging his gf out of her apartment by the neck and had pushed her roommate down some stairs. With the DV issue headlining the NFL right now, I think it would be a big turn off for many teams and his stock would drop even more. If he stays and keeps clean and shows hes matured, he'd be considered a 1st rounder again. He still maybe even if he comes out this year. Just looking at it a different way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I LOVE Amari Cooper. Everyone here knows I do but I wouldn't draft him. Why? Because investing those sort of resources in a WR just isn't worth it to our team. And I think Amari is on the same sort of level as AJ Green as a prospect. Cooper is the full package.(assuming Cooper goes top 5-10)

However, for those of you who want a WR, here's a name to keep an eye on Kevin White WR West Virginia.
460x.jpg

He's been compared to Larry Fitzgerald and Alshon Jeffery. I have watched him today vs. Oklahoma, he torched Oklahoma's best CB on a 68 yard TD. The CB tried to press him and White hit him with a stutter step outside and then crossed him over back to the inside and the CB didn't get a finger on him. Then White ran right by him and nobody was catching him. He's listed at 6'3" 210. He also reportedly has outstanding hands. I know I will be watching more of him for sure as he has been tearing it up this year. Even tore up Alabama in Week 1.

Clint Trickett from WVU has also surprised me this year. He was terrible in the past but is actually looking good this year. Might earn himself a draft pick in the mid to late rounds.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I LOVE Amari Cooper. Everyone here knows I do but I wouldn't draft him. Why? Because investing those sort of resources in a WR just isn't worth it to our team. And I think Amari is on the same sort of level as AJ Green as a prospect. Cooper is the full package.(assuming Cooper goes top 5-10)

However, for those of you who want a WR, here's a name to keep an eye on Kevin White WR West Virginia.
460x.jpg

He's been compared to Larry Fitzgerald and Alshon Jeffery. I have watched him today vs. Oklahoma, he torched Oklahoma's best CB on a 68 yard TD. The CB tried to press him and White hit him with a stutter step outside and then crossed him over back to the inside and the CB didn't get a finger on him. Then White ran right by him and nobody was catching him. He's listed at 6'3" 210. He also reportedly has outstanding hands. I know I will be watching more of him for sure as he has been tearing it up this year. Even tore up Alabama in Week 1.

Clint Trickett from WVU has also surprised me this year. He was terrible in the past but is actually looking good this year. Might earn himself a draft pick in the mid to late rounds.

I agree that it's probably not worth it to draft Cooper, but the kid is crazy talented. He would just feel too good to pass up.

Kevin White is an interesting case. I'm concerned that he's just going to be a one year wonder though. Is this just the year the light went on, or is he overachieving and will fall back down to mediocre? And his development is a concern in the NFL if he's considered a project type receiver. As much as I love Quick now, if we had to wait for White to make a meaningful contribution 3+ years down the road like Quick does, is that worth the (probably) high draft pick? I don't know enough about him to say yes or no or even know much about besides the fact he did little last year but has done great this year.