I don't get all this CB talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This feeling is why you don't get all the CB talk.

True shut down CBs elevate a defense. We don't have one. We have a good supporting cast but no #1.
At this point, corner is a luxury. Even if it is only solid. We need a bunch if upgrades at offensive line and maybe receiver. We need an OLB. We need a true safety. All more than corner right now.

lockdnram21

Legend
At this point, corner is a luxury. Even if it is only solid. We need a bunch if upgrades at offensive line and maybe receiver. We need an OLB. We need a true safety. All more than corner right now.
Now i dont get the receiver talk. Quick is coming back and Britt will get resigned. Then they still have Sted and Tavon. We dont need receiver we need shut down cb more then wr

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As Memphis pointed out, Aaron Donald was a "luxury" pick. Was that a bad draft pick?

Athos

Legend
As Memphis pointed out, Aaron Donald was a "luxury" pick. Was that a bad draft pick?

Donald was freak talent at that spot. It's not like there's a Patrick Peterson in this draft class. What I've read of Waynes is that he's great, the most pro-ready corner maybe, but not really elite talent. Not sure there's a can't miss CB talent in the top 10-15 over can't miss Cooper/White/O-Lineman.

But seriously though. I'm fucking tired of having a shit offense. I don't care who we draft on offense, okay, that's a lie, but really, you could draft offense up and down the draft for the Rams this year and not have done wrong. Our offense is that fucked up. Still.

I'm not at all happy with it, and I don't know why anyone else would be either.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We had two draft picks in the first round. So it's fine to take a luxury pick when you've already made the logical one. Wouldn't you say? We don't have that "LUXURY" this year

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now i dont get the receiver talk. Quick is coming back and Britt will get resigned. Then they still have Sted and Tavon. We dont need receiver we need shut down cb more then wr
I only say maybe to receiver because we need to see how quick recovers from his surgery. He was trending upwards but was then stopped on his tracks by injuries.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald was freak talent at that spot. It's not like there's a Patrick Peterson in this draft class. What I've read of Waynes is that he's great, the most pro-ready corner maybe, but not really elite talent. Not sure there's a can't miss CB talent in the top 10-15 over can't miss Cooper/White/O-Lineman.

But seriously though. I'm freaking tired of having a crap offense. I don't care who we draft on offense, okay, that's a lie, but really, you could draft offense up and down the draft for the Rams this year and not have done wrong. Our offense is that fucked up. Still.

I'm not at all happy with it, and I don't know why anyone else would be either.

Aaron Donald was the 13th pick. 12 teams passed on him.

Saying he's a freak talent ala Patrick Peterson isn't a fair comparison at all. PP was a top 5 pick. Snisher picked BPA and it was Donald....if their BPA is Waynes then bring him on.

Plus, Donald wasn't considered a "can't miss" talent either - otherwise he wouldn't have been available at 13.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We had two draft picks in the first round. So it's fine to take a luxury pick when you've already made the logical one. Wouldn't you say? We don't have that "LUXURY" this year

No, I wouldn't say. We needed good players at both picks, so picking the BPA was the right move. You draft for the future - why can't people understand that? A player will not be his best as a rookie, so why would you draft with the intention of relying on that player his rookie year???

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I wouldn't say. We needed good players at both picks, so picking the BPA was the right move. You draft for the future - why can't people understand that? A player will not be his best as a rookie, so why would you draft with the intention of relying on that player his rookie year???
So are you suggesting that there is a corner worth a pick at 10?
Edit: I think that's where you're mistaking my opinion. There is no corner worth being drafted in my eyes over the majority of the receivers and lineman. BPA is fine but sometimes you guys are overboard with it. If a qb is the BPA When the Seahawks pick, should they pick one? Nope. There's a a link between BPA and need. It isn't one or the other

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald was the 13th pick. 12 teams passed on him.

Saying he's a freak talent ala Patrick Peterson isn't a fair comparison at all. PP was a top 5 pick. Snisher picked BPA and it was Donald....if their BPA is Waynes then bring him on.

Plus, Donald wasn't considered a "can't miss" talent either - otherwise he wouldn't have been available at 13.
Donald actually was seen as a can't miss. People were saying that he was the best pass rusher in the class but predicted that his fall would be due to his size (measurables being Overrated as usual) and his position.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So are you suggesting that there is a corner worth a pick at 10?
Edit: I think that's where you're mistaking my opinion. There is no corner worth being drafted in my eyes over the majority of the receivers and lineman. BPA is fine but sometimes you guys are overboard with it. If a qb is the BPA When the Seahawks pick, should they pick one? Nope. There's a a link between BPA and need. It isn't one or the other

I agree completely (with regard to BPA). I'm just saying that I'll be fine with whatever they pick, because they have resources to scout these players that I can only dream of. From my limited knowledge though, I am hoping for either White or Cooper. I would probably take Waynes over all of the Offensive Lineman in the first round though.

I do think Waynes would be worth the 10th pick, but that's just my opinion.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald actually was seen as a can't miss. People were saying that he was the best pass rusher in the class but predicted that his fall would be due to his size (measurables being Overrated as usual) and his position.

Depends on who you ask I guess. Some people may have seen him as a "can't miss", but when you draft the defensive rookie of the year with the 13th pick, the GM should get props for that IMO. What teams actually do means more to me than what draftniks say, and when 12 teams pass on a player, I don't view that player as a "can't miss" prospect.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree completely (with regard to BPA). I'm just saying that I'll be fine with whatever they pick, because they have resources to scout these players that I can only dream of. From my limited knowledge though, I am hoping for either White or Cooper. I would probably take Waynes over all of the Offensive Lineman in the first round though.

Now we are on the same page lol. I dont doubt fisher for a second. Especially when it comes to DB's. Dude knows how to draft a corner

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Good fate, no. If not for IEO's injury, there would likely be two cornerbacks who are better prospects than Waynes. I'm not at all saying that Waynes is bad, but there's no cornerback in this class whom I would take at #10. I would take Peat if he was there and Cooper and White weren't. I'd trade down for Clemmings or Collins before I take Waynes. And if I had to take a cornerback, it would probably be Rollins.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Depends on who you ask I guess. Some people may have seen him as a "can't miss", but when you draft the defensive rookie of the year with the 13th pick, the GM should get props for that IMO. What teams actually do means more to me than what draftniks say, and when 12 teams pass on a player, I don't view that player as a "can't miss" prospect.

You say that as if the teams who drafted before us and didn't pick Donald made some kind of mistake or didn't get elite talent themselves.

Texans got the prognosticated best DE in the draft and the "can't miss DE of the last few years" in Clowney.
Rams drafted what was viewed as best OT in draft.
Jags drafted best QB in draft.
Bills traded up for best projected WR in draft.
Raiders picked up best LB in draft.
Falcons got 2nd best OT in draft and at a PON.
Bucs drafted their V-Jax replacement.
Browns selected what many predicted best CB in draft. (to their MASSIVE regret I'd imagine).
Vikes selected one of the most intriguing LBs in Barr (according to some)
Lions got the best playmaking TE.
Titans got, by stats, best OT in draft.
Giants got best WR last year.

And Rams got the first defensive tackle off the board and the highest rated on the board periord. The next DT taken was at the end of the 1st. And Hageman wasn't picked until 37.

Not sure what point you were trying to make.

And I agree that there isn't a CB in this draft worth his weight as a top 10 pick as compared to the other players on the board. But a team that doesn't have a lot of holes with go with Waynes I'd imagine.

Memphis Ram

Legend

theatermove.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You say that as if the teams who drafted before us and didn't pick Donald made some kind of mistake or didn't get elite talent themselves.

Texans got the prognosticated best DE in the draft and the "can't miss DE of the last few years" in Clowney.
Rams drafted what was viewed as best OT in draft.
Jags drafted best QB in draft.
Bills traded up for best projected WR in draft.
Raiders picked up best LB in draft.
Falcons got 2nd best OT in draft and at a PON.
Bucs drafted their V-Jax replacement.
Browns selected what many predicted best CB in draft. (to their MASSIVE regret I'd imagine).
Vikes selected one of the most intriguing LBs in Barr (according to some)
Lions got the best playmaking TE.
Titans got, by stats, best OT in draft.
Giants got best WR last year.

And Rams got the first defensive tackle off the board and the highest rated on the board periord. The next DT taken was at the end of the 1st. And Hageman wasn't picked until 37.

Not sure what point you were trying to make.

And I agree that there isn't a CB in this draft worth his weight as a top 10 pick as compared to the other players on the board. But a team that doesn't have a lot of holes with go with Waynes I'd imagine.

Just that any player drafted at 13 probably isn't viewed as a consensus "can't miss" prospect. We are ridiculously early, but after one year, if you were so inclined to judge, where should Aaron Donald have been drafted??

Ahead of Robinson, Matthews, Gilbert, Ebron (especially considering who the Lions are losing this offseason, huh?), and Lewan.

Point I'm making is, they drafted BPA and got a STUD. If BPA is a CB, then draft him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Just that any player drafted at 13 probably isn't viewed as a consensus "can't miss" prospect. We are ridiculously early, but after one year, if you were so inclined to judge, where should Aaron Donald have been drafted??

Ahead of Robinson, Matthews, Gilbert, Ebron (especially considering who the Lions are losing this offseason, huh?), and Lewan.

Point I'm making is, they drafted BPA and got a STUD. If BPA is a CB, then draft him.

The only ones I'd draft Donald ahead of are Gilbert and Lewan. Robinson has HOF potential. Matthews is going to be a Pro Bowler for years to come. Ebron? There's a reason why he has Vernon Davis comparisons.

FrankenRam

Starter

It's never a 'luxury' to take the BPA....especially if the team rates that player significantly higher than any other player at any other position.

Some people need to get past the OL first, last, and only tunnel vision that sees all too prevalent these days.

Athos

Legend
Some people need to get past the OL first, last, and only tunnel vision that sees all too prevalent these days.

Hey, if you're fine with consistently having one of the worst line units in football, that's up to you. But I'm sick to death of a crappy offense.

Stel

Starter

I agree with you. I think when we get to #10 he will be in the discussion (although I've seen a couple of mocks recently that have him taken before #10). I still think a WR will be the BPA at #10 but that we won't take him.