How would you feel about this situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By all accounts, it doesn't seem like Sam is going to start against Cincinnati, and Kellen Clemens could get the starting nod. Now. What if Clemens plays remarkably well? The odds really are against that with the injuries on the line and the lack of receivers at present. But -- what if?

Clemens was picked in the 2nd round by the Jets in 2006 and really hasn't had the opportunity to get his game going. He was the backup to Pennington in 06 and 07, then he backed up Favre, then the Jets drafted Sanchez. At Oregon he thew the most TD passes by a sophomore in school history. Then he got injured, then he got drafted, then he stayed a backup due to circumstances. It's like any number of QB's (Marc Bulger and Kurt Warner) who bounce around from team to team without really getting a real shot at anything. I wouldn't categorize this as Clemens' shot either though. He's a backup to a backup right now and probably won't be on the team next year.

But..... what if?

bluecoconuts

Legend
He wins the next 3 games? Or we find our #2? Or both?

I dunno, I want the Rams to win as many games as they can, but at this point there's nothing left to play for but pride. Which isn't really bad I guess, as long as we can still fill holes in the draft and free agency, whatever happens, happens. If we lose out, whatever, if we win out, whatever. Season still ends the same day, at this point I'm just waiting to see what the roster (and coaching staff) will look like come next August.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not even so much that he wins the next 3. Just if he plays really well and the offense looks like, well, an offense. Let me stop beating around the bush here. What if Clemens does what the previous 2 couldn't. Again, that defies all logic that he would (do well). But, what if on top of all the other shit, we get a QB controversy on top of it.

I think you answered it though. We'd get a #2 out of it. Which is what I would hope to be the result. Then, you keep him on, groom him a bit, and get a Kolb-type trade out of him a few years down the road (Clemens. Not Bradford).

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Some people would try to create a QB controversy out of it but at the end of the day hes auditioning for the backup QB job. Thats it. One interesting note on Kellen Clemens is not too long after we signed him former scout Dave Razzano said he liked the signing, he liked Clemens coming out of college, and is interested in seeing how he performs if/when he gets the opportunity to start.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd love it. A little healthy competition never hurt anyone. Say he lights it up, what are the coaches supposed to do, sit him back down? If Green would of only been out for a month back in 99, should DV have sat Warner back down? Well, hell no. So it will be what it will be and we get to watch. It would be nice to have two QBs that other teams would be interested in don't ya think?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Best man gets the starting job. Right now, the best man is Bradford. I want the Rams to be successful no matter what.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Best man gets the starting job. Right now, the best man is Bradford. I want the Rams to be successful no matter what.
I agree to some extent. However, if playing Bradford gives us the best long-term chance to have success, then I play Bradford and never regret it.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Ramhusker said:
I'd love it. A little healthy competition never hurt anyone. Say he lights it up, what are the coaches supposed to do, sit him back down? If Green would of only been out for a month back in 99, should DV have sat Warner back down? Well, hell no. So it will be what it will be and we get to watch. It would be nice to have two QBs that other teams would be interested in don't ya think?

Gotta agree with Mr. Ramhusker here.

Pretty far fetched though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am a RAMS fan first and foremost. If Clemens gives us the best chance to win, trade Bradford for all I care. Seriously. That said, from what I have seen of Clemens so far (including the Hard Knocks series), I don't think he will be the answer. I honestly think Thad may have given us our best chance to win this year. At least he was mobile and kept his eyes down field. We'll never know, thanks to.....well.....no point in getting into that here.