How much should the Rams lean on EJ Gaines?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
More than 3 deep as far as I can see....

Rams signed CB's
#1-Trumaine Johnson 6-2/210 26-5 starter
#2-Coty Sensabaugh 5-11/187 27-5 starter @ Tenn
#3-EJ Gaines 5-10 190 24-2 former starter
#4-Lamarcus Joyner 5-8/184 25-3 starting Nickle
#5-Marcus Roberson 6-0/191 23-3 started 6 games finished 4 others as starter
#6-Eric Patterson 5-10/193 23/1
#7-Troy Hill 5-11/182 24/1
I forgot we signed Troy Hill. He was really good for Oregon in college.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I thought one of the main concerns with Roberson was that he did not like to tackle at all. He was very weak against the run and avoided contact.

I'm sure he had his flaws but he was considered a day 2 pick, maybe even late 1st rounder after declaring I think. Then he performed really bad at the combine and pro day and became a day 3 pick. Im guessing his off the field issues dropped him the rest of the way. I know personally I thought he was a talented guy and very surprised he went undrafted.

http://walterfootball.com/wu2014mroberson.php

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/3...ams-roster-depth-chart-e-j-gaines-cornerbacks

In the Rams' third preseason game in 2014, CB Trumaine Johnson sprained his MCL. The injury, overshadowed by the more notable knee injury suffered by Sam Bradford, sidelined Johnson four almost two months.

Stepping up to fill the void? Rookie CB E.J. Gaines. Gaines was a sixth-round selection in the 2014 NFL Draft out of Missouri who had played well in the preseason but certainly wasn't expected to creep up the CB depth chart as quickly as he did. The ascent was even less likely as four rounds prior, the Rams had selected Lamarcus Joyner out of Florida St. Early on, the Rams had committed to sticking Joyner as their nickel cornerback; that left Gaines and Brandon McGee the main options to fill in for Tru. Gaines was so successful in his rookie season it raised questions about how to rotate Johnson back in once he returned from his MCL injury.

Last year, Gaines suffered a Lisfranc injury in just the second practice of training camp well before any preseason action. And while Marcus Roberson filled in admirably as the fourth corner behind Jenkins, Johnson and Joyner, he hardly had the same level of success Gaines did a year prior as the starter on the outside.

So now in 2016 with Janoris Jenkins gone, many Rams fans are eager to see Gaines back on the field across from Tru as the Rams starting corner duo. Some are overeager to the point of relying on it.

Consider that the Rams drafted both Gaines and Joyner as Jenkins and Johnson were entering their third seasons in the NFL. Clearly, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams wanted to stack up at cornerback, and that's not even noting McGee was a fifth round pick in 2013 in between the stack up drafts.

The big question is if the Rams are done. Coming off of a season where the Rams posted the worst offense in the NFL in yardage gained, how much capital are they going to spend upgrading a defense that has seen some attrition with Jenkins, FS Rodney McLeod, DE Chris Long, MLB James Laurinaitis and DT Nick Fairley all having moved elsewhere?

It's a tough question to answer.

On one hand, you're already three deep with Tru, Gaines and Joyner at corner...but as they've shown, one injury (particularly one in the preseason) can turn the depth at the position into an issue of concern before things even get going.

So while we ramp up into draft season, I wouldn't be surprised if the cornerback position is one of early import for the Rams, Gaines or not.

----

ima go ahead and say it. If Gaines can stay healthy,he will be better than Jenkins.
I doubt that very much