How good was the LA Rams offensive line in 2020?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Andrew Whitworth: Rams 'shocked' by speed of Jared Goff trade - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Rams salary-cap casualty? Andrew Whitworth knows the ‘nature of our business’
By GARY KLEINSTAFF WRITER
MARCH 7, 2021

Rams offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth walks off the field at SoFi Stadium.

Three years ago, for a tour of still-under-construction SoFi Stadium, Rams players boarded buses that ferried them down a hill and onto a dusty surface that would eventually become the immaculate playing field.
Offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth, 36 at the time, exited a bus and marveled at the work in progress. Then he turned to Jared Goff, joking that he looked forward to sitting in the stands or a suite and watching the young quarterback play when the $5-billion stadium was completed.

Last Monday, standing in a stadium parking lot, Whitworth reflected on the tour.
“I never thought there’d be a chance in the world I would walk out the tunnel in this stadium,” he said.

Whitworth, a 15-year NFL veteran, is preparing for a possible fifth season with the Rams — his second playing in SoFi Stadium, site of next season’s Super Bowl. And for the first time since signing as a free agent with the Rams in 2017, Whitworth is on track to protect the blindside of an established quarterback other than Goff.

In January, two weeks after their NFC divisional-round playoff defeat by the Green Bay Packers, the Rams traded Goff and two first-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford. The deal will not become official until the new league year begins March 17.

Whitworth’s status for the 2021 season also is awaiting official determination. In March 2020, the four-time Pro Bowl selection signed a three-year, $30-million contract that included $12.5 million in guarantees, according to overthecap.com. Whitworth started nine games last season before suffering torn knee ligaments. He sat out the last seven games and returned for the playoffs. He carries a cap number of $11.2 million this season.

Revenue lost by NFL teams because of the COVID-19 pandemic will cause the salary cap to drop from $198 million in 2020 to no lower than $180 million this season, though a final figure has not been determined.

“The plan is to prepare myself to play and to plan to be back,” Whitworth, 39, said after speaking at a news conference to open the Los Angeles Unified School District’s COVID-19 vaccination site. “But obviously, I have no idea what’s going to happen with our salary-cap situation. ... You go through the offseason, you make sure you check off all the things that are feeling good and doing great.

“So, it’s a longer process than probably saying, ‘Hey, I’m back.’ It means I’m committed to being back and that’s the plan. Obviously, there’s a lot of work between now and then that has to go into that on a lot of different facets.”
Rams general manager Les Snead said after last season that Whitworth was “a freak of nature” and that the Rams wanted him to return. “In terms of his production on the field, I haven’t seen any more drop off,” Snead said. “Again, like all these decisions, there’s variables to be discussed within that.”

The Rams made a major decision when they decided to part ways with Goff, the top pick in the 2016 draft. After Goff helped lead the Rams to the Super Bowl in 2018, they rewarded him with an extension that included $110 million in guarantees.

“I try to explain to me people that ask me around town, it’s like every August I show up I’m looking around the room like, ‘Oh yeah, that’s right this guy’s not here anymore. Oh, that’s right, he left in free agency.’”

But immediately after last season ended, coach Sean McVay cryptically said Goff was the Rams quarterback “right now.” Snead said he was the team’s quarterback “in this moment.”

Asked if players were surprised by the trade, Whitworth indicated there were clues. “After hearing some of the press conferences and understanding kind of where we stood as a team, and what things were being said, you knew that there’s obviously some things there where it’s an open door for whatever,” Whitworth said. “So, I mean, you’re more just shocked at the timing and how fast that whole thing came about and all of those type things.
“So, I think as players you’re shocked by it, but I think it’s less shocking to the players only because that’s the nature of what we do. I try to explain to people that ask me around town, it’s like every August I show up I’m looking around the room like, ‘Oh yeah, that’s right this guy’s not here anymore. Oh, that’s right, he left in free agency

“That’s the nature of our business. We’re used to a different face every year. So, when you play that last game, one of the reasons guys are usually so upset when that last game happens is they’re like, ‘Man, this group of guys, I probably won’t ever play with again. And that usually holds true. It’s pretty rare when it’s not.”

Whitworth said that he and Goff became close through the years and that they would remain so.
“I’ll be there supporting him and wishing him nothing but the best,” he said.

Stafford, 33, has played 12 NFL seasons since the Lions selected him with in 2009 with the No. 1 pick in the draft. Whitworth said he has known Stafford for a while. They met through Clint Boling, Whitworth’s former Cincinnati Bengals teammate who blocked for Stafford in college at Georgia.

“We all play golf,” Whitworth said. “So, I already knew Matt pretty well. I think that will be a pretty easy transition and, obviously, he’s a heck of a football player.” A new quarterback is not the only change for Rams. There are several new assistant coaches, including offensive line coach Kevin Carberry, who replaces Aaron Kromer.
“It’s what the Rams felt is best — and there’s a couple other things that have gone that way this offseason,” Whitworth said. “So, whatever they think is best is what they’re doing, and you’ve just got to do your best to be a part of it.”

Whitworth, nominated multiple times for the NFL’s Walter Payton man of the year award for his community and charitable work, has been at the forefront of several initiatives with the Rams and is regarded as a team leader. He said he feels “great” physically and is working to strengthen areas of his knee that might have been weakened by last season’s injury.

Last season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers became the first team to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. The Rams are aiming to duplicate the feat.

From the parking lot, with the massive stadium in view, Whitworth sounded optimistic.
“It will be really special to have the opportunity to play the season, being my 16th season, where I have the opportunity to turn 40 and also be a left tackle in the NFL, which is pretty rare,” Whitworth said. “So, there’s a lot of things on the horizon and, obviously, a lot of goals, so it gives us plenty to be excited about and to work toward.”

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why would the Rams not have a full complete training Camp?
State restrictions.
Los Angeles County restrictions.
A covid outbreak.
I'm sure there are going to be things they are going to change.
Maybe some things for the better.
I'm hopeful for a normal training camp but I'm not counting on it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
State restrictions.
A covid outbreak.
I'm sure there are going to be things.they are going to change.
Time to do like the MLB......move the early Camp to Florida or to any of the non-restricting or non-lockdown states!

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right now this sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, ... but this is what camp is all about. An epiphany on his part would be excellent timing for all of us.

I think it’s all about developing players.The Rams offensive line is
still very young.imo Noteboom is a starting Offensive Lineman.He has been The Rams starting LG to start the last 2 seasons.He is only another season better going into 2021.He will get PAID in 2022.
Brewer once again imo Knew if he didn’t sit out in 2020 he had a good chance of getting cut.Now in 2021 he
gets a full offseason in with a new OL coach.
Evans no matter what Fans think got some serious playoff experience at LG.He also played well in 2019 as a young 22 year old rookie.
Shelton was resigned so I’m sure he will be on the roster in 2021.
Brian Allen is still getting paid,so until cut or a FA is a Ram.

— what happens with Havenstien & Blythe is a big question Mark.Imo there is not going to be much change.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
State restrictions.
A covid outbreak.

excuse me. I have a question on where The Rams practice? I know training camp has been in The OC at Irvine.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Time to do like the MLB......move the early Camp to Florida or to any of the non-restricting or non-lockdown states!

Things are opening up. HS football just started up yesterday in California if I’m correct? I know De La Salle played against a friends kid yesterday.I actually was going to go,but wasn’t sure if Fans were able to go ? I know my girlfriend saw a Baseball Park full of parents & Kids. She about hear the cheering saying thaF’d so nice. Haven’t heard that sound in a long time.People outdoors having fun together.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Brewer once again imo Knew if he didn’t sit out in 2020 he had a good chance of getting cut.Now in 2021 he
gets a full offseason in with a new OL coach.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from about Brewer, but his sitting out the 2020 season was more about preserving life than worrying over being cut imo. He's a recovering cancer patient who is in the high percentage range for Covid to kill him. His previous season with the Rams had him looking sharp in camp, and when he stepped in at LT on those few occasions during the 2019 regular season, held his own. He mostly played RG in college, but also played a good deal at OT. I don't know what 2021 has in store for Brewer, but if he's managed to stay in football condition over this past year, I believe he's got as good a chance or better for remaining on the 53 roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from about Brewer, but his sitting out the 2020 season was more about preserving life than worrying over being cut imo. He's a recovering cancer patient who is in the high percentage range for Covid to kill him. His previous season with the Rams had him looking sharp in camp, and when he stepped in at LT on those few occasions during the 2019 regular season, held his own. He mostly played RG in college, but also played a good deal at OT. I don't know what 2021 has in store for Brewer, but if he's managed to stay in football condition over this past year, I believe he's got as good a chance or better for remaining on the 53 roster.
I fully agree!

The Rams OL takes a big hit in March 2022. If LT Andrew Whitworth is not released here very shortly ( I do not see this) he will most certainly not be here in 2022. Additionally, Austin Corbett, Joe Noteboom, Jamil Demby & Brian Allen will be UFA's. That's FIVE OL'ers.

Chandler Brewer will be in a good place because he will only be an ERFA. OT/OG Brewer stands to come away as a major player in the future Ram OL. So does Center Coleman Shelton.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Things are opening up. HS football just started up yesterday in California if I’m correct? I know De La Salle played against a friends kid yesterday.I actually was going to go,but wasn’t sure if Fans were able to go ? I know my girlfriend saw a Baseball Park full of parents & Kids. She about hear the cheering saying thaF’d so nice. Haven’t heard that sound in a long time.People outdoors having fun together.

Much of California went green this week. Green as in "go" for high school athletes playing outdoor sports. Numbers released Tuesday by the California Department of Public Health show that 54 of the state's 58 counties now meet the threshold for "high-risk outdoor" youth sports — including football — to be played even if a county is in the red or purple tier

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they allow fans at TC, I'll be there. No fans at TC last season sucked. Does anyone know if it will still be at Irvine or in Northridge, or split between the two?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I fully agree!

The Rams OL takes a big hit in March 2022. If LT Andrew Whitworth is not released here very shortly ( I do not see this) he will most certainly not be here in 2022. Additionally, Austin Corbett, Joe Noteboom, Jamil Demby & Brian Allen will be UFA's. That's FIVE OL'ers.

Chandler Brewer will be in a good place because he will only be an ERFA. OT/OG Brewer stands to come away as a major player in the future Ram OL. So does Center Coleman Shelton.

The Rams and Chandler Brewer knew that.That’s why the decision for him made sense & was easy for both sides.
I’m sure there was solid communications between both parties on his options.
Weather that is or was the case of Brewer sitting out or not I’s still like The Rams getting a young 24 year old draft pick. Edwards & Evans both are only 24 years as well.
I’ve said it all along both Evans & Edwards were like drafting late 2nd rd picks.Ram Fans will see the value of McSneads drafting in 2023.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Right now this sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, ... but this is what camp is all about. An epiphany on his part would be excellent timing for all of us.
Sure does.....with two new OL coaches, all these Rams OL'ers might be looked @ in a much different light depending on what they are looking for concerning the new orders of McVay.

As far a Coleman Shelton he is now entering his 4th yr in the NFL. He has been on several teams his first season 2018 ...9ers, Titans & Cards. He was signed 3 times & waived 3 times. In 2019 Card signed him twice waived him once then the Rams signed him to the active roster @ the beginning of the 2019 season. Shelton has remained a Ram ever since. IT takes many years to have these NFL OL'ers fully prepared for what todays defenses will throw at them.
The Rams and Chandler Brewer knew that.That’s why the decision for him made sense & was easy for both sides.I’m sure there was solid communications between both parties on his options. Weather that is or was the case of Brewer sitting out or not I’s still like The Rams getting a young 24 year old draft pick. Edwards & Evans both are only 24 years as well. I’ve said it all along both Evans & Edwards were like drafting late 2nd rd picks.Ram Fans will see the value of McSneads drafting in 2023.
My thoughts on Evans is much lower than yours. I am not as hopeful on Bobby Evans as you & believe he will not be a Ram OL'er after his rookie contract is up. Evans will be no more than an average starting RT. He can also be an adequate swing OT reserve. Evans might have been drafted way too soon. Could have got him in the 4th or 5th rds IMO.

OL David Edwards brings much more to the OL than Evans. I can agree fully with your thoughts on him. I also think the same way about OL Chandler Brewer's skills & abilities.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
State restrictions.
A covid outbreak.
Even in LA County, everything is trending in the right direction.
I believe we will have a full offseason.
There may still be some precautions taken early on, but this offseason will be much more productive than 2020

fearsomefour

Legend
State restrictions.
A covid outbreak.
If something like this happens I’d move camp to a state that allows it

fearsomefour

Legend
Sure does.....with two new OL coaches, all these Rams OL'ers might be looked @ in a much different light depending on what they are looking for concerning the new orders of McVay.

As far a Coleman Shelton he is now entering his 4th yr in the NFL. He has been on several teams his first season 2018 ...9ers, Titans & Cards. He was signed 3 times & waived 3 times. In 2019 Card signed him twice waived him once then the Rams signed him to the active roster @ the beginning of the 2019 season. Shelton has remained a Ram ever since. IT takes many years to have these NFL OL'ers fully prepared for what todays defenses will throw at them.
My thoughts on Evans is much lower than yours. I am not as hopeful on Bobby Evans as you & believe he will not be a Ram OL'er after his rookie contract is up. Evans will be no more than an average starting RT. He can also be an adequate swing OT reserve. Evans might have been drafted way too soon. Could have got him in the 4th or 5th rds IMO.

OL David Edwards brings much more to the OL than Evans. I can agree fully with your thoughts on him. I also think the same way about OL Chandler Brewer's skills & abilities.
In Evans limited snaps last year he was very impressive in the running game and not at all in the passing game.
If you could combine Noteboom and Evans you’d have a great lineman.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
"are we even going to have a normal camp?"...

god i hope so..

go rams

slo
So do I.
But you have to consider that maybe the Rams were able to do so much better than people thought they would was because we beat them with the organization's ability to adapt to the pandemic situation.

Particularly those early wins.