How good was the LA Rams offensive line in 2020?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goof point. It sure seemed like McVay didn't call for deeper pass plays because he didn't think the line would hold their blocks long enough.

I also think he felt Goff wouldn’t see them. Which he often didn’t.

one thing with Goff was when he felt pressure, he was not consistently moving his spot and resetting to throw. You can see Stafford do that regularly.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to disagree.
Losing Saffold and Sully were big hits on the interior of our line.
Even an aging Sully played better than Blyth at C.

Saffold was great. Sullivan was not. He was basically the same as Blythe - but then we also had Blythe at guard, who was worse IMO than Corbett.

But either way, their performance was very similar. Each offensive line had around 5 poor games, but otherwise played well.

Having a "better" OL didn't stop them from getting dominated by the Broncos, Bears, Eagles and then the Patriots pass rush.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Did you reply to the wrong post? I agree with all of this. Stafford cannot fix the Oline. I do think he can sense pressure better and move and reset his feet better than Goff, but if McVay wants more explosive plays then the inside pressure needs to be fixed. I think one good center can fix most of it. Corbett isn’t great but his play could improve paired with a good center.

No. I was replying to the other post in that post and pointed to your post. I replied and said "see Elmgrovegnome's post" and then quoted your post. I simply added to it a bit, so yes we see things the same way. Sorry for the confusion.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My overall grades for the starting 2020 Rams OL ...

1) LT-Whitworth (B) Injury absence reflects his score
2) LG-Edwards (B) First year starter at this position, growing pains, but better than anticipated being a newbie
3) C-Blythe (C-, D+) Multi-year starter at OG/C, doubt we should expect an increase in quality production
4) RG-Corbett (B-, C+) First year starter at this position, growing pains, but expect developmental gains from this newbie
5) RT-Havenstein (B) Following a poor 2019, perhaps one of his better seasons at RT, still his inconsistency in pass pro hurts him

Blythe's best excuse might be about playing between two relative starting rookies at OG, but he should be improving their play, not the opposite.
With so many potential losses for our OL to 2022 free agency & retirement, the Rams must invest heavily in the OL during the 2021 draft.
Rams inconsistencies at OG should improve with both starters entering their 2'nd year at their respective positions, I would expect nothing less unless they are forced to change those positions once again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He did? Then why the hell did we sign Whitworth, Sullivan and Blythe in 2017? Two who started in 2017 and by 2018, all 3 were starters!!! I'm no expert but to me, that appears we made wholesale changes along the OL in 2017!!!

Like I said, I'm no expert but I've read if we change from a zone to a man blocking scheme, we're going to need to bring in some different OL. Don't know how true that is or isn't.

Well yes Andrew Whitworth was a must.Snisher really fucked up with the #2 pick & not trading back.If I EVER had a voice it would have been heard.
—Yes I also went to a scrimmage with 2 beers in hand & yelling at how crappy the offensive line was. Les Snead was on the right of me hearing my voice looking at my crazy self.I did that at camp once or twice & Demoff was furious at me. He eyed me up.
Keeping me in check ? John Sullivan was a must & Mcvay(Rams) got lucky with him. He & Whitworth together meant Everything to Jared Zgoff’s keadership. I watched it on the sideline front row 50 yard line.One of the only Ram Fans in the joint.
Talk about Roger Saffold. He came off the sideline with his head down.The Rams already traded Greg Robinson. You look back at Quinn,Merrimaid guy,Ect. Ect.ext. Gurley,Goff. Eating contracts at whatever expense to upgrade. Jamin Brown & Havienstien separated from the 2 veterans. Jared Goff going right over to Whitworth & Sullivan. That was the start.Kromer doesn’t mean hardly anything tonTge Rams Offensive Line without Andrew Whitworth. The BEST FA signing it RAMS HISTORY. A HOF player.
—Kromer (Mcvay) never had any depth. Austin Blythe was never suppose to be a starter. He EARNED it!!! He was a backup center who was UNDERSIZED,but has a huge heart. Smart player
Remembering Dave51.. I don’t know man ? I give up. I’m getting old myself now a days. I’ll chill & appreciate everyone’s posting. St. Paddy’s day is getting close.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No. I was replying to the other post in that post and pointed to your post. I replied and said "see Elmgrovegnome's post" and then quoted your post. I simply added to it a bit, so yes we see things the same way. Sorry for the confusion.

My fault. I overlooked your other reply above

My overall grades for the starting 2020 Rams OL ...

1) LT-Whitworth (B) Injury absence reflects his score
2) LG-Edwards (B) First year starter at this position, growing pains, but better than anticipated being a newbie
3) C-Blythe (C-, D+) Multi-year starter at OG/C, doubt we should expect an increase in quality production
4) RG-Corbett (B-, C+) First year starter at this position, growing pains, but expect developmental gains from this newbie
5) RT-Havenstein (B) Following a poor 2019, perhaps one of his better seasons at RT, still his inconsistency in pass pro hurts him

Blythe's best excuse might be about playing between two relative starting rookies at OG, but he should be improving their play, not the opposite.
With so many potential losses for our OL to 2022 free agency & retirement, the Rams must invest heavily in the OL during the 2021 draft.
Rams inconsistencies at OG should improve with both starters entering their 2'nd year at their respective positions, I would expect nothing less unless they are forced to change those positions once again.

This could be a good year to get an OLT of the future. The position is deeper than usual. Plus there were a few more last year too. I agree that this should be a year to reload Offensive line, especially if you consider a new coach coming in with a new system, with fresh knowledge of collegiate players.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This could be a good year to get an OLT of the future. The position is deeper than usual. Plus there were a few more last year too. I agree that this should be a year to reload Offensive line, especially if you consider a new coach coming in with a new system, with fresh knowledge of collegiate players.

This would be a good year to get a LT AND C. I know some fans say depending on a rookie C is not a good idea but in the last 5 years, 8 rookie centers have started at least 12 games for their team. 2 first round picks, 3 second round picks and 3 third round picks. If they can't afford a UFA C, then I'd roll with a rookie. The rookie LT can watch and learn from Whit. I'd also take a big OG. Solidify the OL and you can plug and play future skill guys moving forward.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This would be a good year to get a LT AND C. I know some fans say depending on a rookie C is not a good idea but in the last 5 years, 8 rookie centers have started at least 12 games for their team. 2 first round picks, 3 second round picks and 3 third round picks. If they can't afford a UFA C, then I'd roll with a rookie. The rookie LT can watch and learn from Whit. I'd also take a big OG. Solidify the OL and you can plug and play future skill guys moving forward.

Agreed. Having a QB that can read defenses so well could ease a rookie center into his role. Ragnow clsimed Stafford is amazing at it. So this would likely be a good year. Maybe Stanford’s OT falls to the Rams and they get Meinerz at center. That would be a draft I could get excited about.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Having a QB that can read defenses so well could ease a rookie center into his role. Ragnow clsimed Stafford is amazing at it. So this would likely be a good year. Maybe Stanford’s OT falls to the Rams and they get Meinerz at center. That would be a draft I could get excited about.

Maybe the kid from Stanford who Carbury knows really well? While we're there, how about the LT too?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Using this article .....nows the time to cash him in for a 2nd day draft selection & a 6th rd'er to make Snead happy & use that over $19 million for some cap relief in 2021/2022!

Or better yet trade the best RT in the NFL for Detroit's center Frank Ragnow straight up!
And we also have an experienced, talented right tackle on the roster in Evans.

I am Soul Surfer and I endorse this message.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes that's so true but there is also another Right Tackle who is mature beyond his very young age that has played in two NCAA Championship teams that won........

Look for LA Rams OT Tremayne Anchrum in 2021
by Bret Stuter
1614960099097.png

There are many reasons why the arrival of offensive tackle Tremayne Anchrum in 2020 did not result in his immediate promotion to a starting role last year. But for the sake of discussion, let’s list a few. For openers, the LA Rams coaching staff was under a lot of duress and extreme pressure to deliver an NFL-ready team by the start of the 2020 NFL season.

The LA Rams offensive line was an enigma. The team had nine starters from 2019 returning, and the team had no time to experiment. That became quite obvious when the Rams began the season with a starting five of Andrew Whitworth, Joseph Noteboom, Austin Blythe, Austin Corbett, and Rob Havenstein. Eventually, David Edwards would win the starting role after Joseph Noteboom fell to injury.

Even with known players, the coaching staff had to fast-track the starters simply to ensure that the starting players would get sufficient steps to be ready to go. One exception was the surprising performance of rookie safety Jordan Fuller. But there was that injury to presumed starter Taylor Rapp which opened the door.

Anchrum had no such window of opportunity open to him. Rather the 6-foot-2 314-pound offensive lineman saw action on special teams. For 2020 and after being selected in the seventh round of the 2020 NFL Draft, that was actually a rather admirable season for the young man.
https://ramblinfan.com/2021/03/04/predictions-for-la-rams-8-top-free-agents-this-year/
After all, the NFL restricted putting on football pads to an almost point-blank range before the season started. That eliminated any rookie hoping to improve on the Rams depth chart from doing so. Instead, it became the hope of something better far into the future for a lot of hard work throughout 2020.

Anchrum is such a young man. His name surfaced repeatedly as someone who had great training days in 2020. He was exposed to training at left tackle early to see how he might handle the work later. Tremayne Anchrum Jr. is everything you can ask from an offensive lineman. He has good footwork, makes good use of his hands. He pivots his hips and shoulder well to maintain blocks on defenders. But the most outstanding aspect is that he is one of the most intelligent players on the field.

A year ago, Tremayne Anchrum was fighting against the NFL timetable, COVID-19 restrictions, virtual off-season training program, as well as all of the normal challenges facing an NFL rookie who hears his name called in round seven of the NFL Draft. And there he stands, a young man with more desire than ever, and a reputation for good things on the football field.

He is no longer an unfamiliar rookie arriving at the NFL, nor is he simply happy to be given the chance to compete. He’s now an NFL veteran, an offensive lineman who is returning for a second season. This year is a bit different. Last year he proved that he has what it takes to make the Rams 53-man roster. This year? He’s about to prove that he deserves to start on the Rams offensive line.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You just barely scratch the surface as to what the Rams/Snead/McVay have compiled currently @ the Right Tackle post you will soon find that this OL post might be overstocked.

Besides the starter since his rookie season in 2015 Rob Havenstein & his backup since being drafted in 2019 Bobby Evans, the Rams have Tremayne Anchrum who started for two seasons @ RT for the Championships teams @ Clemson. Then there's Chandler Brewer who started for all four yrs @ Middle Tennessee State @ RT/RG. Kromer had the 6-6 325lbs Brewer working primarily @ OT during the 2019 season.

If the above was not enough you might also consider the Rams starting LG & RG the last two seasons David Edwards. In his 3 seasons in college @ Wisconsin started 3 seasons, 31 starts @ Right OT. The most experienced reserve for this Rams team is Joseph Noteboom who has had many starts @ LT & LG. All of us would agree Noteboom is no OG but a new OL coach might think differently. Noteboom in his 2014 TCU season as a redshirt freshman started all 13 games @ RT before flipping to LT the rest of his NCAA career. Even Coleman Shelton who has been in the NFL since 2018 & who has just had the Rams offer him a tender ERFA contract, had starts @ RT when he was @ Washington in college.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When you just barely scratch the surface as to what the Rams/Snead/McVay have compiled currently @ the Right Tackle post you will soon find that this OL post might be overstocked.

Besides the starter since his rookie season in 2015 Rob Havenstein & his backup since being drafted in 2019 Bobby Evans, the Rams have Tremayne Anchrum who started for two seasons @ RT for the Championships teams @ Clemson. Then there's Chandler Brewer who started for all four yrs @ Middle Tennessee State @ RT/RG. Kromer had the 6-6 325lbs Brewer working primarily @ OT during the 2019 season.

If the above was not enough you might also consider the Rams starting LG & RG the last two seasons David Edwards. In his 3 seasons in college @ Wisconsin started 3 seasons, 31 starts @ Right OT. The most experienced reserve for this Rams team is Joseph Noteboom who has had many starts @ LT & LG. All of us would agree Noteboom is no OG but a new OL coach might think differently. Noteboom in his 2014 TCU season as a redshirt freshman started all 13 games @ RT before flipping to LT the rest of his NCAA career. Even Coleman Shelton who has been in the NFL since 2018 & who has just had the Rams offer him a tender ERFA contract, had starts @ RT when he was @ Washington in college.

Hard to really imagine, although the Rams could conceivably have 4 OL starters playing at new positions under a new offensive line coach in 2021. Noteboom, Edwards & Evans competing at RT with a possible newly drafted OT. If Edwards were to win, Anchrum could be his LG replacement, and if Corbett were to inherit the Center position, then we might just see Brewer at RG. Free agency and the draft as well as a real Covid free off-season is sure to establish some new perameters, ... it's going to be one very interesting camp, and this is only the OL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When you just barely scratch the surface as to what the Rams/Snead/McVay have compiled currently @ the Right Tackle post you will soon find that this OL post might be overstocked.

Yeah, we're absolutely loaded with right tackles.
However I would not consider tremayne anchrum an NFL level T simply due to his arms are too short.
I do think the fact that he could play right tackle at the Clemson level of competition shows he could make a very good NFL interior lineman.
I would even consider converting him into a center.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, we're absolutely loaded with right tackles.
However I would not considered tremayne anchrum a NFL level simply due to his arms are too short.
I do think the fact that he could play right tackle at the Clemson level of competition shows he could make a good NFL interior lineman.
I would even consider converting him into a center.
The under 6-2 Firehydrant 315 pound Anchrum should see a ton of snaps this season. No way to know if the center is in his future but all reports on him say his brain is highly rated.

One thing about Anchrum on OT, when talking about our young OL'ers is his wingspan....... which is longer than Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Demby/ Shelton & Allen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The under 6-2 Firehydrant 315 pound Anchrum should see a ton of snaps this season. No way to know if the center is in his future but all reports on him say his brain is highly rated.

One thing about Anchrum on OT, when talking about our young OL'ers is his wingspan....... which is longer than Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Demby/ Shelton & Allen.
So you're saying that Anchrum has a over 6 foot 2 wingspan?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is this LA Rams OC Coleman Shelton's last chance to earn a starting role? (ramblinfan.com)

Is this LA Rams OC Coleman Shelton’s last chance to earn a starting role?

The LA Rams are looking hard at how to address the offensive center position for the second year in a row. The answer may be as simple as giving starting snaps to offensive center Coleman Shelton.

The collegiate career of former Washington Huskies offensive center Coleman Shelton was filled with accomplishments. The young man dominated, moving the pile forward on running play, holding them out on passing plays. He played so well that he was considered the best offensive lineman in the Pac-12 as recently as July 2017. At the time? He was the center for the Huskies and lined up on the same offensive front as teammate offensive tackle Trey Adams.

Heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, Shelton projected as a good fit for the LA Rams. Why? Well, Shelton is a big strong lineman who has played multiple positions at the offensive line. He dominated at the offensive center position in the very good Pac-12 football conference. He scored very well in pass blocking but excelled when pulling for the counter-trey running plays that would open up huge running lanes for running backs, Myles Gaskin or Salvon Ahmed.

A year ago, all of this added up to place Shelton squarely in the competition for the offensive center role. Austin Blythe was the starting center, but he was headed for free agency and the Rams didn’t have any more cap space then than they do now. And very very early in 2020, we featured Shelton as a possible next-man-up offensive lineman who could be very good on that Rams offense.

But 2020 happened, or rather all of the chaos over COVID-19 happened. There were few surprises on the LA Rams depth chart from that moment on. Starters stayed starters. Backups stayed backups. The focus for virtually all 32 NFL teams was less about getting the best group of starters onto the football field, and more about getting a group of starters onto the football field.

2020 was the year of redshirting.. For a player whose time is running out, 2020 was a huge blow to his NFL career. After all, the 6-foot-5 285-pound behemoth faces obsolescence at the tender age of 26 years of age. While he did get his share of special teams in 2020, he didn’t get onto the field. That means that the LA Rams never made use of his ability to pull and lead a running back into the hole with a resounding thud against a waiting linebacker or defensive back.

And yet, he’ll be back. The LA Rams tendered the qualifying offer to Coleman Shelton, ensuring his return.

Coleman Shelton can only do what the Rams ask of him. In 2020, he was only asked to play on special teams. Will the LA Rams ask more of him in 2021? Well, it’s now or never. If Shelton does not make a seriously positive impression this year, he could very well be hoping to sign on with another NFL team.

And that may be the outcome here. While it’s tough to believe that the dominating offensive lineman at Washington has forgotten how to play, or simply lost that ‘I’m about to kick someone’s arse!’ attitude when he lines up and places the pre-snap football into his hands. If you’d seen him play then, you are likely seeing the fit now. No, Coleman Shelton has not broken into the team’s starting lineup yet. And yes, this is likely the last year he will have that chance.

But he knows the counter trey, a Washington Football team bread-and-butter offensive play. And you can bet LA Rams offensive line coach Kevin Carberry knows it too. Is this destiny? Or is it another missed opportunity for Shelton to make his NFL career gain traction? If NFL teams have any return to normalcy, keep an eye on Coleman Shelton in the LA Rams training camp. I still like him as a sleeper. With a new offensive line coach, Kevin Carberry may as well.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Is this LA Rams OC Coleman Shelton's last chance to earn a starting role? (ramblinfan.com)

Is this LA Rams OC Coleman Shelton’s last chance to earn a starting role?

The LA Rams are looking hard at how to address the offensive center position for the second year in a row. The answer may be as simple as giving starting snaps to offensive center Coleman Shelton.

The collegiate career of former Washington Huskies offensive center Coleman Shelton was filled with accomplishments. The young man dominated, moving the pile forward on running play, holding them out on passing plays. He played so well that he was considered the best offensive lineman in the Pac-12 as recently as July 2017. At the time? He was the center for the Huskies and lined up on the same offensive front as teammate offensive tackle Trey Adams.

Heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, Shelton projected as a good fit for the LA Rams. Why? Well, Shelton is a big strong lineman who has played multiple positions at the offensive line. He dominated at the offensive center position in the very good Pac-12 football conference. He scored very well in pass blocking but excelled when pulling for the counter-trey running plays that would open up huge running lanes for running backs, Myles Gaskin or Salvon Ahmed.

A year ago, all of this added up to place Shelton squarely in the competition for the offensive center role. Austin Blythe was the starting center, but he was headed for free agency and the Rams didn’t have any more cap space then than they do now. And very very early in 2020, we featured Shelton as a possible next-man-up offensive lineman who could be very good on that Rams offense.

But 2020 happened, or rather all of the chaos over COVID-19 happened. There were few surprises on the LA Rams depth chart from that moment on. Starters stayed starters. Backups stayed backups. The focus for virtually all 32 NFL teams was less about getting the best group of starters onto the football field, and more about getting a group of starters onto the football field.

2020 was the year of redshirting.. For a player whose time is running out, 2020 was a huge blow to his NFL career. After all, the 6-foot-5 285-pound behemoth faces obsolescence at the tender age of 26 years of age. While he did get his share of special teams in 2020, he didn’t get onto the field. That means that the LA Rams never made use of his ability to pull and lead a running back into the hole with a resounding thud against a waiting linebacker or defensive back.

And yet, he’ll be back. The LA Rams tendered the qualifying offer to Coleman Shelton, ensuring his return.

Coleman Shelton can only do what the Rams ask of him. In 2020, he was only asked to play on special teams. Will the LA Rams ask more of him in 2021? Well, it’s now or never. If Shelton does not make a seriously positive impression this year, he could very well be hoping to sign on with another NFL team.

And that may be the outcome here. While it’s tough to believe that the dominating offensive lineman at Washington has forgotten how to play, or simply lost that ‘I’m about to kick someone’s arse!’ attitude when he lines up and places the pre-snap football into his hands. If you’d seen him play then, you are likely seeing the fit now. No, Coleman Shelton has not broken into the team’s starting lineup yet. And yes, this is likely the last year he will have that chance.

But he knows the counter trey, a Washington Football team bread-and-butter offensive play. And you can bet LA Rams offensive line coach Kevin Carberry knows it too. Is this destiny? Or is it another missed opportunity for Shelton to make his NFL career gain traction? If NFL teams have any return to normalcy, keep an eye on Coleman Shelton in the LA Rams training camp. I still like him as a sleeper. With a new offensive line coach, Kevin Carberry may as well.

Right now this sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, ... but this is what camp is all about. An epiphany on his part would be excellent timing for all of us.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Right now this sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, ... but this is what camp is all about. An epiphany on his part would be excellent timing for all of us.
Are we even going to have a normal camp?