How can the Rams release Sam or Westbrooks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I know it was just preseason and Sam & Westbrooks probably faced a lot of opponents 2nd (And, maybe even 3rd) team offensive linemen but it sure seemed to me that they both played very well and very possibly secured spots on the Rams final roster (At least I hope so!)!

A55VA6

Legend
It'll be extremely hard to release one of them. They both deserve a spot on the Rams.

lockdnram21

Legend
Sam has a chance at getting cut but no way westbrooks gets cut he might be the steal of the draft. Hes easily looking like 2nd or 3rd rounder

CoachO

Hall of Fame
From what I have seen at camp and now thru 4 preseason games, given Westbrooks ability to play inside, I think a case can be made that he is one of the 4 best DTs on the roster.

Carrington and Conrath both have been outplayed. So it wouldn't shock me one bit to see both Sam and Westbrooks being considered part of the 9 best guys at this point.

Keep Sam as the 5th DE and Westbrooks as the 4th DT.

Tweed335

UDFA
From what I have seen at camp and now thru 4 preseason games, given Westbrooks ability to play inside, I think a case can be made that he is one of the 4 best DTs on the roster.

Carrington and Conrath both have been outplayed. So it wouldn't shock me one bit to see both Sam and Westbrooks being considered part of the 9 best guys at this point.

Keep Sam as the 5th DE and Westbrooks as the 4th DT.

Given the little that I've actually seen from Preseason, but keeping up via ROD and stats, your assessment isn't a surprise. I did see a fair amount of tonights game, and both players shined, even if they weren't in the stats I saw them around the ball making plays.

Man, it's crazy to think we have too much talent to accommodate playing time, in certain positions that is.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Trade Carrington to the Cowboys.
I'd be surprised if there was a market for him or Conrath. Neither has shown anything special this year IMO. On the upside if we got any kind of draft pick for him it'd be a win in my book.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
The injuries might force them to not put Sam on the 53 man roster. I see him ending up on the practice squad. I'd love to see him make the team, but if they keep Westbrooks, which I think they will, I think Sam is the odd man out.

Alan

Legend
Ky Ram with his observations:
I'd be surprised if there was a market for him or Conrath. Neither has shown anything special this year IMO. On the upside if we got any kind of draft pick for him it'd be a win in my book.
Conrath for sure. Have you been reading about which players the Cowgirls have been kicking the tires on? They appear to be pretty desperate.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I know it was just preseason and Sam & Westbrooks probably faced a lot of opponents 2nd (And, maybe even 3rd) team offensive linemen but it sure seemed to me that they both played very well and very possibly secured spots on the Rams final roster (At least I hope so!)!
Plain and simple, Westbrooks will not be released.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Trade Carrington to the Cowboys.
Trade Sam to Dallas . . . makes some sense. Rams think Sam was worth a middle round pick that they were lucky enough to get in the 7th . . . if they could turn that to a 5,and get him to a 4-3 team, it's a win-win. Turn a 7 to a 5 next year.Heck, Skins could use to positive pub and a backip 3-4 rusher to backup Karrington and Orakpo. Getting the first openly gay player may calm the storm: Sam for COusins.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Westbooks looks like a lock at this point. Sam looks like a longshot.

Alan

Legend
Blue and Gold with his option:
Trade Sam to Dallas . . . makes some sense. Rams think Sam was worth a middle round pick that they were lucky enough to get in the 7th . . . if they could turn that to a 5,and get him to a 4-3 team, it's a win-win.
I have a couple of problems with that.
First of all, Carrington is making about $1.5 Million and Sam is making $0.42 million and we need the CAP space.
Second of all, I think Sam is a better player right now and will, long term, be a much better player.
Bonus: :LOL:
Third of all, Sam has shown zero ability to play LB and he's too small to play on the line in a 3-4 defensive scheme IMO.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
PS - did anyone notice how much they doubled Westbrooks last night?

Against Cleveland last week, the OL help was shifting to Westrbooks on the B gap rather the more common A gap guy.

He's got a reputation already.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
PS - did anyone notice how much they doubled Westbrooks last night?

Against Cleveland last week, the OL help was shifting to Westrbooks on the B gap rather the more common A gap guy.

He's got a reputation already.
I did notice that. It seemed as if he was the "marked man" on the DL for most of the night.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I have a couple of problems with that.
First of all, Carrington is making about $1.5 Million and Sam is making $0.42 million and we need the CAP space.
Second of all, I think Sam is a better player right now and will, long term, be a much better player.
Bonus: :LOL:
Third of all, Sam has shown zero ability to play LB and he's too small to play on the line in a 3-4 defensive scheme IMO.
Y'but in a three four where your going to blitz both A gaps or stunt alla J Smith and Aldon Smith he could stand up.

I'm with O if we can stay as good and get younger and as you say get bargains in the process BONUX(old computer science joke ,my lab partner when designating term spelled bonus that way in her designations and wrote the program correctly spelled ,filled the screen with errors ,took me 45 minutes to discover what she'd done):wtf:

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy with only part of the story:
Y'but in a three four where your going to blitz both A gaps or stunt alla J Smith and Aldon Smith he could stand up.
That's an option for a 3-4 team whose only problem on the D-line is getting pressure on the QB. The Cowgirl defensive line can't stop the run or the pass. I'm not sure that Carrington, at his current level of play, would be a good option but he'd probably be better than what they have now.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just really don't think you get any return on a 7th round rookie based on preseason performance. Is there any sort of precedent for this sort of thing?
It's not like other teams are oblivious to the composition of this team. Everyone knows we have too many good players on the line, why would anyone do the favor of sending Snead a draft pick for a player he'd be forced to cut anyway?
If they truly believe in Sam/Westbrooks, the best avenue may be to see if Sims or Hayes gets something in trade. Then you get small amount of cap relief, plus a pick next year.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Since Hayes has been a bit banged up, is it possible they keep both at least until Bailey returns from suspension?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dallas was in on westbrooks in UDFA time. Maybe they'd be willing to pay for him. 4th rounder?