Hochman: Let's enjoy Gurley while we can

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Hochman: Let's enjoy Gurley while we can
• By Benjamin Hochman

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ab4a96a3-fd83-5958-8eec-34a4b8970c05.html

The only people left on the practice field are the franchise player and the franchise’s biggest fan.

There’s Todd Gurley, whose last name, these days, deserves a permanent exclamation point, like Yahoo! or Wham!

He’s standing 5 yards from a JUGS machine, as Adam Mirghanbari feeds it footballs. Gurley, helmet on, catches pigskins zipped at 40 mph, over and over, while the showers get cold.

“These are people who are setting the tone, and since Todd Gurley came here, he comes out there,” said Mirghanbari, who goes by Merg around here. “He’s very responsible, very intelligent, he has a work ethic. He’s not out there just to do it. He’s working every single time on hand placement, body placement, tucking the ball away, all the mechanics. He’s not messing around.”

Now, look. There have been some draft busts who also caught passes after practice. But the Rams’ rookie running back has been Beast Mode-ly lately (although Gurley is a connoisseur of Jolly Rancher Bites, not Skittles).

Gurley is going to become the best Rams offensive player – heck, the Rams’ future seems to be now ... even though, of course, the Rams’ future is also quite unsettled. Merg watches Gurley’s hands first-hand, acknowledging that his latest favorite player might be moving in a few months. But like many others in St. Louis, Merg is just soaking up the present. Maybe Gurley is ours for years to come — or just months to come — but we’re watching the emergence of the next great Rams running back, just like the scattered fans in Anaheim stands did, in 1993 and 1994, before Jerome Bettis was whisked away to St. Louis.

This Merg fellow, you might have spotted him on the Rams’ sidelines over the years. He’s the other guy with the mustache. Merg is the Rams’ biggest fan. Officially — he was inducted into the Visa Hall of Fans, back in 1999, along with a representative from the other teams, such as the Packalope and the Boss Hogette.

Merg traveled to every Rams game in the past 21 years, and his omnipresence got him a part-time gig helping out the team with odd jobs, for instance, giving the refs footballs from the sideline or feeding the JUGS machine after practice.

“It’s a dream come true that I never dreamed,” the 51-year-old fan said.

Even front-row fans haven’t had as good a view as ol’ Merg. And in the past two games, Gurley’s first two as the Rams’ featured ball carrier, the rookie ran for 146 and 153 yards, including the clutch clincher at Arizona, the third-and-12 run to move the chains and secure the win.

“He converts power to speed really, really quickly,” Bettis, a Hall of Famer, told me by phone Tuesday. “He’s got the quick feet, he’s elusive, he can get in and out of cuts.”

In the fourth quarter of games this season, Gurley has five runs of 10 yards or more, tied for the NFL lead. Impressive … then remember he’s only played in three games, and in his first game had six total carries.

Oh, and how about this Tuesday tidbit from coach Jeff Fisher? In his soft, stoic voice, which sounds like the actor Billy Bob Thornton (you ever notice that?), the coach said: “The good thing about Todd is, Todd’s not 100 percent. Just wait ’til he’s 100 percent.”

Told how Fisher is gauging his comeback from an ACL tear in his left knee, Gurley grinned.

“With the injury, I don’t know how it works, but I guess it takes a full year of recovery,” Gurley said. “I feel good, I’ve been playing, just making sure I stay on top of things — and still get better.”

Even if Gurley continues to flirt with 100 yards and 100 percent, the Rams’ run game still needs a complementary counterpunch. The game is different from the days of Eric Dickerson. And Gurley himself admitted he’s still amid the process of learning, notably the zone-blocking scheme the Rams have installed.

But everything seems to be lining up for Gurley this Sunday, as his Rams host the Cleveland Browns, the No. 30 defense in the NFL. It’s easy to get giddy. But Fisher reminded us that “their rank of 30th statistically is very, very misleading. This is a good defensive football team. They tackle, they make plays, they stop the run, they challenge you. … We’re going against a really good defense scheme that challenges you.”

Duly, although hesitantly, noted.

The last Rams running back to win rookie of the year was, yep, Bettis, back in 1993. Just like Gurley, the Rams drafted Bettis 10th overall. And although he’s forever remembered for Pittsburgh, Bettis exploded in those first two years in Los Angeles.

“Los Angeles is a great place if you can win football games, and I say that because if you’re not winning in Los Angeles, there’s a lot of other things people can do on the weekend if you’re not winning,” Bettis said. “If they can find a way to win in Los Angeles, (Gurley) can become a superstar among stars in the NFL.”

Right now, Gurley is our town’s. He’s the best thing the Rams’ offense has going. He’s yours, so enjoy him. Merg sure is.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well, I had just managed to forget for 2 mins that my team is leaving and now I'm depressed again. Yea.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Jesus that was about enjoying him in STL? Talk about a gut wrenching ending. I thought it was a "enjoy a future HOF player while you can". Fuck man.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Really nice read though, albeit short. Great to see a fresh piece of journalism on our young, outstanding RB.

Hoping he lights the Browns the F up. 200+ on the ground baby.

F. Mulder

Starter
I thought he had a terminal disease or something ( bad joke) . :(

Every football player, even the great ones, have an NFL career life expectancy. Im hoping TG has a productive, All Pro, HOF 10 years with the Rams.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I lived in SoCal when they left. It was sad but to be honest I wanted my team to go somewhere where they are appreciated. Yeah, I know, win more games and they will.

As Bettis said the bad part about LA is it's always sunny and if your team sucks you can go to the beach, golf, whatever.

I don't really want them to leave St. Louis but if the stands are full I won't hate it either.

I just want Gurley and my team to kick ass, regardless of location.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Let me finish this off for him.
Rams trade Gurley a couple years later as he's coming into his prime. Draft the next Lawrence Phillips .......

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, I had just managed to forget for 2 mins that my team is leaving and now I'm depressed again. Yea.
Jesus that was about enjoying him in STL? Talk about a gut wrenching ending. I thought it was a "enjoy a future HOF player while you can". freak man.
Question!: Are you gentleman Rams Fans or St. Louis Fans!? I personally am a Rams Fan and have been for many, many years. As you all well know!! The Rams could be coming to us from " Bum-Fuck-Idaho" and I'd still be a "Rams Fan!!:cool:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Don't fret, blue4.

With Sunday Ticket and the Internet, you can follow the Rams just fine.

I live in SoCal. But I can honestly say that I now can follow the Rams infinitely better now while they're based in St Louis than I ever could back when they played in LA and Anaheim. I'm serious.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Question!: Are you gentleman Rams Fans or St. Louis Fans!? I personally am a Rams Fan and have been for many, many years. As you all well know!! The Rams could be coming to us from " Bum-freak-Idaho" and I'd still be a "Rams Fan!!:cool:
Rams fan for life. But even though I don't live in STL, it's become a 2nd city to me. I know places, made friends and even have hookups for games. I won't be able to attend anymore games if they go to LA. Too far and too expensive. Also with the reason them moving there being straight up greed, I couldn't stomach supporting the owner or the fans that will non stop rag on STL fans when this isn't their fault.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams fan for life. But even though I don't live in STL, it's become a 2nd city to me. I know places, made friends and even have hookups for games. I won't be able to attend anymore games if they go to LA. Too far and too expensive. Also with the reason them moving there being straight up greed, I couldn't stomach supporting the owner or the fans that will non stop rag on STL fans when this isn't their fault.
I understand where you are coming from. I am not presuming they are going to move back to L.A., where they were for many years!
I'm just saying I'm a Rams Fan Period! City doesn't mean shit to me!!
I'll be a Fan of the Teams regardless of the Ownership or the Location, I've gone through a lot of them since 1951!! So will you by the time your 71, think about it!!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Question!: Are you gentleman Rams Fans or St. Louis Fans!? I personally am a Rams Fan and have been for many, many years. As you all well know!! The Rams could be coming to us from " Bum-freak-Idaho" and I'd still be a "Rams Fan!!:cool:

I always have to wonder how that question is relevant to anything, but I don't know how to answer it because I've always been a STL Rams fan. Does that make sense?

I can't imagine the Rams being anywhere else so I can't answer it definitively.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I live in SoCal. But I can honestly say that I now can follow the Rams infinitely better now while they're based in St Louis than I ever could back when they played in LA and Anaheim. I'm serious.

Ditto ^^^

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I always have to wonder how that question is relevant to anything, but I don't know how to answer it because I've always been a STL Rams fan. Does that make sense?

I can't imagine the Rams being anywhere else so I can't answer it definitively.
I have been a Rams Fan since 1951, in the Time since they have been in 3 different Cities, in two different States and I've lost track of how many Owners. It hasn't changed my Fandom, nor should it! Not that it's an issue, but I'm 47 years older than you, And team location, or ownership, doesn't change a thing for me when it comes to being a Rams Fan!
I do understand you, I was 2 when the Rams came to L.A. 51 when they left, My only Team! But as I said they are mine no matter where they are!!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I have been a Rams Fan since 1951, in the Time since they have been in 3 different Cities, in two different States and I've lost track of how many Owners. It hasn't changed my Fandom, nor should it! Not that it's an issue, but I'm 47 years older than you, And team location, or ownership, doesn't change a thing for me when it comes to being a Rams Fan!

Well, just gonna have to get back to ya lol. I know I'm a STL Rams fan for sure. That's all I can say with certainty.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Way to rain on our parade, Hochman, who is a columnist for The Denver Post. :mad: Let's see which direction this thread goes in before it gets locked.

Btw is the following comment even possible? o_O

“It’s a dream come true that I never dreamed,” the 51-year-old fan said.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'ma straighten it out PT...here ya go

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...h_another_big_day_in_week_7/s1_12740_19752799

Todd Gurley can join rare club with another big day in Week 7
Originally posted on The Sports Daily | By Zach Kruse | Last updated 10/21/15

8855101.jpg

St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley could join Eric Dickerson in the record books if he rushes for over 140 yards against Cleveland on Sunday. Benny Sieu/USA TODAY Sports
St. Louis Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley can join Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson in an exclusive club with a productive day against the Cleveland Browns in Week 7.

According to Randall Liu of NFL Communications, Gurley can become just the second rookie ever to rush for over 140 yards in three straight games. The first was Dickerson, who hit at least 140 rushing yards in Weeks 4-6 as a rookie in 1984.

Hurley gashed the Arizona Cardinals for 146 yards before carrying 30 times for 159 yards against the Green Bay Packers in Week 5. The Rams had a bye last week.

Helping Gurley’s cause is the chance to face the NFL’s worst rush defense in 2015.

Cleveland has allowed a league-high 899 rushing yards this season, while only the San Diego Chargers have given up a higher yards-per-carry average than the Browns’ 5.0. Three different rushers (Justin Forsett, Latavius Murray and Ronnie Hillman) have gained at least 100 yards against the Browns this season.

Gurley, who has five carries over 20 yards, only needs one or two mistakes to make Cleveland pay.

“It is still the frustration of we might have 10 run plays and defend eight of them well for little or no gain, and then we get creased with one,” Browns head coach Mike Pettine said, via ESPN’s Pat McManamon. “It is usually when multiple guys get a minus—somebody steps under themselves, somebody gets reached, a linebacker buries himself or we miss a tackle.”

Dickerson rushed for 533 yards—another rookie record—over his consecutive game streak in 1984. Gurley needs 228 against the Browns to tie him.

So of course I'm looking for 250:yess:(y):sneaky:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm a St Louis Rams fan. I don't like long distance relationships. It's one thing if you're in Oakland and your city isn't willing to help keep a team. It's another when the team tries to leave regardless of any help.
I'll be a fan of any team willing to put down roots in my city. I can only hope it's still the Rams.