Historical LA Rock Clubs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Hi, I'm from western Ny.... and my friends and myself are taking a motorcycle ride across the country sometime in the next couple of years... and one of our stops is LA. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for famous or historical Rock Clubs that are still open? Must see's and such....There are 8 of us on motorcycles and none of us has been to Los Angeles ever. Any suggestions or info would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, Go Rams....... ;)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I used to live near Madame Wong's West on Wilshire in Santa Monica, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Used to be a punk club. I never got hassled walking home at 2am from working at a theater near there because 1) I had just shaved my head for the Sea Cadets... I was in for 1 day, found out I had to come out of pocket for tons of uniforms and bounced, but kept the shaved head, obviously and 2) I had these big black shoes that looked like Doc Martens. So I looked like I belonged...just another punk working for the man. I'd stand outside for awhile and listen to the closing band play.

Heard some AMAZING bands (I have eclectic tastes... I grew up on 70s-80s funk, soul and R&B, but loved punk...the Ramones, the Clash, Modern English...the first time I heard "Melt With You"... it was crazy. Same with "Should I Stay or Should I Go". I didn't hear London Calling until later.)

But larams_1963 is right. They're mostly on Sunset.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They are mostly all on Sunset Blvd. The Roxy, The Whiskey, The Rainbow Bar and Grill, Viper Room...etc...

For some reason I thought Depp closed up The Viper Room.

I used to live near Madame Wong's West on Wilshire in Santa Monica, but I don't think it's there anymore.

That sounds like a Rub-n-Tug more than a rock club LOL.

the first time I heard "Melt With You"... it was crazy.

That is one of the few songs from the 80's that I still hear all these years later. Very few have "survived".

The woman I lived with for so many years loved that song.

A lot of the New Wave and Punk stuff was just gloomy rather than edgy which killed the genre IMO. But that happens to a lot of musical styles of course. I'm hoping it happens to rap too, I'm over it already. I suspect though it'll be like Country which I also don't really like much, and live forever and just change from time to time to reflect current tastes. IMO both are inexorably heading towards the pop music category.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Starwood is long gone but that was a wild place too.
I only went there with my cousin, who lived in LA and was in the metal scene. He got me in thought I had barely sprouted hair one, clearly not 21. All the 80s excesses on full display.
*In hindsight it was not the Starwood he got me into, although I heard stories about that place, it was the Troubadour we went to.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s not a rock club but The Baked Potato is an iconic jazz bar. My buddy’s dad is a rock drummer (Doobie Brothers, Tommy Tutone, etc) and played there several times. They used to get in a mixture of jazz and rock bands.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hennessey"s and the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach.

Gazarri's on the strip but I think its gone now.