High school football officiating question.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On the first defensive snap of our High School game my son made a tackle for loss and stripped the ball. One of his teammates fell on the ball first.

Then a pile ensued and once the refs got it apart they said that they couldn’t determine that any player on either team clearly possessed the ball because two kids from each team had possession. So they said the play had to be done over and our opponents started with a first down from the original spot.

It sounded like a bunch of BS to me. At the very least it should have been 2nd down at the spot of the fumble recovery. Right?

I’m guessing if they determine possession as a draw the ball goes to the offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only time I’ve ever heard of a “do over” was when there were offsetting penalties.
I can’t believe that was a legit call. Like you said, leave the ball with the offense as a dead ball from the spot, and only the defense has a legit complaint. Cant believe with such an emphasis on player safety that a “do over” would be in any HS rule book

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only time I’ve ever heard of a “do over” was when there were offsetting penalties.
I can’t believe that was a legit call. Like you said, leave the ball with the offense as a dead ball from the spot, and only the defense has a legit complaint. Cant believe with such an emphasis on player safety that a “do over” would be in any HS rule book

What also sucked is that my kid played a great game but the do over erased his forced fumble from the official stat sheet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What also sucked is that my kid played a great game but the do over erased his forced fumble from the official stat sheet.
Yeah but what's most important is that it really happened, you saw it and he knows he did it. Wont be his last I'm sure

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
On the first defensive snap of our High School game my son made a tackle for loss and stripped the ball. One of his teammates fell on the ball first.

Then a pile ensued and once the refs got it apart they said that they couldn’t determine that any player on either team clearly possessed the ball because two kids from each team had possession. So they said the play had to be done over and our opponents started with a first down from the original spot.

It sounded like a bunch of BS to me. At the very least it should have been 2nd down at the spot of the fumble recovery. Right?

I’m guessing if they determine possession as a draw the ball goes to the offense.
I hope you saw at least one bean bag drop and the referee and either the line judge or head linesman hustle to the pile (most high schools here have 4 man officiating crews). You are correct, when both teams show shared possession, it means the defense clearly did not recover, and the ball should stay with the offense. Second down.

Referees are normally trained to refrain from blowing the whistle too early and signal possession. If they do, they can't take it back. This isn't a penalty flag that can be waved off. Unless the referees saw your son had clear possession on a fumble, it's going to result in a scrum.

Your son should have been credited with a FF and TFL. Great play by your kid! Tell him to keep his head high, be resilient, and continue to work at his craft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope you saw at least one bean bag drop and the referee and either the line judge or head linesman hustle to the pile (most high schools here have 4 man officiating crews). You are correct, when both teams show shared possession, it means the defense clearly did not recover, and the ball should stay with the offense. Second down.

Referees are normally trained to refrain from blowing the whistle too early and signal possession. If they do, they can't take it back. This isn't a penalty flag that can be waved off. Unless the referees saw your son had clear possession on a fumble, it's going to result in a scrum.

Your son should have been credited with a FF and TFL. Great play by your kid! Tell him to keep his head high, be resilient, and continue to work at his craft.
And the repeating of first down was incorrect.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Oh and his friends call him AD. He watches Aaron Donald videos all the time. He’s got the push pull down perfectly. He does the AD push off the lineman to change direction too and
the sideways jump move too. He’s a freshmen but is one of three that made varsity.

A few games when we played big offensive lines the coaches didn’t start him. But later when he came in he proved to them size doesn’t matter. He’s 5’-9” 180 lbs. He’s always going against bigger kids but still gets in the backfield. It’s a joy to watch. I hope he keeps growing and gets a chance to play in college.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
0AE9050B-5D2F-4D5B-9C27-FFB11A53157C.jpeg
5D23B7B6-2C70-426C-A4B8-F8E91DFCE2D0.jpeg
5AD38A7D-ABD2-47DC-B39D-5F968AF9799E.jpeg

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@Elmgrovegnome that's awesome! Be very proud of that young man.

If you want to look at the replay of the fumble again, our high schools and I've heard even the serious teams in youth leagues use Hudl. Check out and see if your son's high school subscribes to a similar service, and if you can have access.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome that's awesome! Be very proud of that young man.

If you want to look at the replay of the fumble again, our high schools and I've heard even the serious teams in youth leagues use Hudl. Check out and see if your son's high school subscribes to a similar service, and if you can have access.
We use Hudl also. That play was unfortunately at the end of the field furthest from our end zone camera. I couldn’t see it from the booth camera either.

But you gave me a good idea to check the opponents film.

That play hurt even more because they opponent as on their 12 yard line.