Heavy Passing Teams not Built to Beat NFC West Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Last night we saw another example of how a "pass heavy" team can not contend with an NFC West team. Even in the Superbowl we saw the same thing. Granted the Packers O line looked horrible and the D Line wasn't as impressive. But still these so called "Powerhouse" teams such as the Broncos and Packers do not match up well with NFC West teams.

To win in the West the formula is easy build the lines to dominate yes both the offensive and defensive lines must dominate. Second run the ball well and use play action passes and take your shot downfield when its there. Third play great defense.

Don't get me wrong Seattle is good, but can be beaten. I didn't understand the Packers game plan either of throwing to basically one side of the field. Seattle said ok great we will play man to man on Sherman's side and zone on the other and dare you to beat our zone. And thats exactly what happen.

It will be interesting to see how the games turn out when the NFC West plays each other, you talking about smash mouth old school we are better then you football.

Your thoughts?

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Maybe? I'm not sure about the Rams. The Eagles make me nervous with their hurry up offense. I want to see how our young team plays out of breath, and under pressure. I'm curious to see how Greg Williams substitutes against the Eagles. Who knows We may crush Philly, after all we beat the stuffing out of the Saints and the Colts.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Maybe? I'm not sure about the Rams. The Eagles make me nervous with their hurry up offense. I want to see how our young team plays out of breath, and under pressure. I'm curious to see how Greg Williams substitutes against the Eagles. Who knows We may crush Philly, after all we beat the stuffing out of the Saints and the Colts.
I think Chip Kelly's system is nothing more than a trend. In the NFL time of possession means a lot more than number of plays ran.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I agree about the Eagles and have been saying so..........that is going to be a BIG test for the defense. There is a lot of speed on the D which will keep them from getting embarrassed like a lot of teams were last year but your point about playing under pressure and out of breath is my concern.

The Eagles move fast before and after the play. They make a D work really hard.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Chip Kelly teams seem to get beat up when faced against a physical team...They didn't do well in college. Doubt they do well over the long haul in the pros...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I agree about the Eagles and have been saying so..........that is going to be a BIG test for the defense. There is a lot of speed on the D which will keep them from getting embarrassed like a lot of teams were last year but your point about playing under pressure and out of breath is my concern.

The Eagles move fast before and after the play. They make a D work really hard.

Simple just have to bottle up McCoy and make sure we force lots of 3 and out so they dont get the chance to wear our D out!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Chip Kelly teams seem to get beat up when faced against a physical team...They didn't do well in college. Doubt they do well over the long haul in the pros...

True Foles and Co. haven't faced anything quite like the Rams DL.......I'm looking forward to this game because if they win then we know they are for real. If they get torched then maybe they aren't as good as we think. I know it's only one game against an unconventional offense but if they cannot slow it down it's not a good sign.

AZRamsFan93

The Eagles are not a "pass heavy" team. They are a fast paced team, but they were the number 1 rushing team in the NFL last year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Certainly doesn't help when you lose 2/5 starting offensive lineman either.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the pendulum swinging towards pass-crazy offenses may have reached it's limit and may be swinging back now. As teams have place more and more emphasis on becoming pass crazy, they have de-emphasized the running game, stopping the run, and physical football in general. Physical NFC West teams are in a good position to exploit that.

Similar thing happened in '99 when the Rams went all the way. The overwhelming offensive trend was the Walsh version of the WCO, with lots of short, controlled passing, with most defenses designed to stop the same. The Rams came onto the scene with a high flying vertical game for which most defenses weren't prepared.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I recall a chart showing Nick Foles stats against bad defenses and then the few good ones he faced. Against good defenses he wasn't good.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The Packers could still shred the Rams secondary though, we don't match up with the passing teams very well. We do match up well against the squawks and the 9ers though.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Packers could still shred the Rams secondary though, we don't match up with the passing teams very well. We do match up well against the squawks and the 9ers though.

I don't know. They had some big games against pass happy teams last season.