HC options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep Snead, hire Ben McAdoo. I realize that a few people don't like Snead, but the guy is a pretty shrewd GM.
I'm not down on Snead.. just not convinced he's as good as many say he is.

What makes it difficult for me to assess him is the possible involvement of Fisher on player acquisitions and drafts.

For example, I'll never know if Snead had been suggesting a better option and Fisher said.. "no, we're taking Pead".

As far as fleecing Washington... to me, they were ripe for the taking and Snyder is an idiot who can be easily manipulated (like Jerry Jones).
Some of these owners are so emotional about certain players and that puts them at a disadvantage when dealing...
Snead certainly gets credit for taking advantage of that... but the Redskins were pretty easy pickins'.

So... I just don't know how good he is or isn't... I will say that Barron deal was very good!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
No, you're not nuts...

I'm just not sure Fisher has the ability to stick it out on offense if he gives a guy autonomy and things aren't going so well in the beginning.

I really like the Tom Cable idea for OC, BTW.
Thanks, and it seems to make sense if he doesn't get a HC gig, doesn't it? This offense was designed to replicate Seattle's, so in theory the personnel should be Seattle-esque... one of our biggest problems is OL, some injuries, some an inability for young guys to grow... hiring a guy out of the Seattle offense who is viewed as an OL guru should be a good answer, I'd think.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks, and it seems to make sense if he doesn't get a HC gig, doesn't it? This offense was designed to replicate Seattle's, so in theory the personnel should be Seattle-esque... one of our biggest problems is OL, some injuries, some an inability for young guys to grow... hiring a guy out of the Seattle offense who is viewed as an OL guru should be a good answer, I'd think.
Sorry... I deleted my post because I didn't read it carefully enough... you're not advocating retaining Fisher, so I'm even more on board.

Great post!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not down on Snead.. just not convinced he's as good as many say he is.

What makes it difficult for me to assess him is the possible involvement of Fisher on player acquisitions and drafts.

For example, I'll never know if Snead had been suggesting a better option and Fisher said.. "no, we're taking Pead".

As far as fleecing Washington... to me, they were ripe for the taking and Snyder is an idiot who can be easily manipulated (like Jerry Jones).
Some of these owners are so emotional about certain players and that puts them at a disadvantage when dealing...
Snead certainly gets credit for taking advantage of that... but the Redskins were pretty easy pickins'.

So... I just don't know how good he is or isn't... I will say that Barron deal was very good!

I'd say that the Austin deal worked out (Bills got E.J. Manuel, Kiko Alonso, Marquise Goodwin, and Chris Gragg), while we also gained T.J. McDonald along with Austin.

Barron trade was amazing. Bucs got a good linebacker (Kwon Alexander) and that's pretty much it. We got a guy who can play at an elite level.

Snead still made the deal with the Redskins and the Cowboys later on, and I'd do it again and wouldn't change a thing. Ogletree, Jenkins, and Brockers alone make this a win. If Robinson eventually plays up to his full potential with us, that could very well make this an even bigger steal. Bailey is a solid special teams player at least. Pead and Stacy are gone, yeah, but whatever. It also allowed us to take players like Austin and Donald instead of being pigeonholed into one thing, so they are also indirect products of the trade.

Gurley was a fantastic pick, and Havenstein and Brown look solid as well. We've also upgraded our depth along the line with Rhaney, Donnal, Wichmann, and Battle.

And let's not forget the UDFAs. Hekker, McLeod, Bates, Marquez, Cody Davis, Westbrooks, Longacre, Trinca-Pasat, Roberson, Darrell Williams, Harkey, Benny Cunningham, etc. Snead scouts them and signs them. A lot of them have become very solid players for us.

Yes, the free agents could be a lot better, but that's really the only fault I can find.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Robinson eventually plays up to his full potential with us, that could very well make this an even bigger steal. Bailey is a solid special teams player at least. Pead and Stacy are gone, yeah, but whatever.
This sounds like rationalization on Robinson to me.
Even before the shooting, Bailey was nothing special by any means and was already serving his second suspension. And I really liked the guy!

Havenstein and Brown look solid as well.
I refuse to anything like this when I haven't seen nearly enough.

Rhaney, Donnal, Wichmann, and Battle.
Really? Depth JAGs... but, to each his own, I suppose.

Hekker, McLeod, Bates, Marquez, Cody Davis, Westbrooks, Longacre, Trinca-Pasat, Roberson, Darrell Williams, Harkey, Benny Cunningham, etc.
Hekker, of course. But most of these names are also depth JAGS.

I'm not giving Snead much credit for depth JAGS.

Maybe I'm too tough a sell.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Maybe I'm too tough a sell.

You're way too tough a sell. Look at how the rest of the GMs have done compared to him. Even the great ones miss. Every roster in the NFL has JAGs on them; that's why they get turned over all the time.

I'm not saying that Snead is perfect, but he and Demoff aren't the problems on this team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're way too tough a sell. Look at how the rest of the GMs have done compared to him. Even the great ones miss. Every roster in the NFL has JAGs on them; that's why they get turned over all the time.

I'm not saying that Snead is perfect, but he and Demoff aren't the problems on this team.
And I'm not saying Snead isn't good... in fact, he might be better than we think he is (the "Fisher decision effect").

I'll leave it at this... if Snead (and Fisher probably) were really good at accumulating talent through the draft and free agency, I'd expect better results by year four.

Fisher says it's player execution... how does that relate to the guys they've picked?

So hard to tell who's doing a good job and who isn't... we're not there. We only have results to go by.

Demoff? Absolutely! I think he's done a magnificent job with the cap. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree (the old man was/is pretty good at what he does ;))

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think Snead deserves to be a traditional GM, flv. He's earned it, IMO.

In fact, along with Demoff, Snead should lead the search for our next HC and hire the best available fit.

A traditional org chart works best. Enough of the Fisher tail wagging the dog BS with regard to draft and FA final decisions.

MrMotes

Starter
We're much better on defense than on offense.

Is it talent, coaching, both?

Is Les Snead better at acquiring talent on the defensive side and Fisher better at coaching on defense?

It seems unlikely both those things are true, but maybe...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We're much better on defense than on offense.

Is it talent, coaching, both?

Is Les Snead better at acquiring talent on the defensive side and Fisher better at coaching on defense?

It seems unlikely both those things are true, but maybe...

Fisher has final say on personnel so we don't really know about Snead, however, he had improved scouting and pro player personnel, but that is because the Rams have had more resources (ESK) then ever before.

Little doubt that Jeff Fisher is much better at coaching defense you only have to look at his DC hire. He fired Tim Walton after one year because he wanted a higher profile guy to run his defense in Gregg Williams, however, to run his offense he hired a guy that had never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level and his success in college was checkered at best.

Not communicating all is lost if the Rams keep Fisher, but IMO, Fisher would have to showcase the ability to hire an offensive coordinator that has experienced success in the NFL like Ken Whisenhunt and while he's at it, IMO, Fisher would be better served with a new offensive line and wide receiver coach as well.

If the Rams lose out, IMO, ESK and Kevin Demoff should give strong consideration in making a change and if they feel strong about Les Snead, well, then broaden his powers as GM and give him control over personnel and let him hire the next Head Coach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My thought right now: I would like to keep a defensive-minded HC who is willing to accept that he's not an offensive guy, and who will bring in a top-flight OC.

HC: Teryl Austin, Lions DC
OC: Tom Cable, Seahawks OL coach
DC: Jim Schwartz

Am I nuts?
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Multiplicity/areyounuts.mp3[/av]

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Multiplicity/areyounuts.mp3[/av]
Is that from The Other Guys? Low volume on mobile it wounds like Will Ferrell

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that it's Bill Murray from from Scrooged.

ViennaMax

Rookie
watching the saints panthers game and really would love to see Asshole Face as our head coach.... love the passion

FRO

Legend
@FRO wants him gone. Pretty sure there are others. If Kroenke lets him go along with Fisher, I'll be highly disappointed. This is a guy who learned under Dimitroff (Falcons), who is one of the better GMs in the business. Not sure that people are going to find better than Snead.
I like Snead, but he had 4 years and a bunch of picks to get it done. He hasn't. Now I am willing to change my mind if it comes out that Fisher made all the calls and Snead had little say. From what I've read the Quick pick was Snead. That was a terribly huge miss. GMs do miss and I'll give him leeway if that was his only call. Just on whole this roster isn't good enough and we had 2 extra first round picks, one a number 2 overall, and 2 extra second round picks and this offense is worse than the one they inherited. Amendola and Gibson are still better than our WRs. Bradford is better than Foles. The line still sucks. Only thing better now, and it's by a large margin, is the RB position. Everything else is worse.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thought right now: I would like to keep a defensive-minded HC who is willing to accept that he's not an offensive guy, and who will bring in a top-flight OC.

HC: Teryl Austin, Lions DC
OC: Tom Cable, Seahawks OL coach
DC: Jim Schwartz

Am I nuts?

I don't disagree with the decision...but Tom Cable is not a top-flight OC.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't disagree with the decision...but Tom Cable is not a top-flight OC.
Wouldn't mind him as our O line coach. Their line started in shambles and is improving.
Of course, as usual, ours is decimated by injuries. Would it have mattered? Who knows?