Havrisik Keep him or Dump him?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should we keep him or dump him?

• Keep him, he's great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep him, he's got potential

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • Dump him, he's got potential, but its not worth the risk

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Dump him, he's simply not good enough.

Votes: 57 43.2%

• Total voters

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I bleed blue and white (or blue and gold). But I'm also realistic. The Rams aren't a likely super bowl contender this season.

So if we don't have any money to go after better players, then bringing in other practice squad players might not mean the position will be upgraded.

Houston's regular kicker returned so maybe we can get their backup. He seemed more consistent than what we have now. He did miss like a 59 yarder that was a game loser recently, but it hit the cross bar and fell backwards. At least he hit the ball well and it was straight.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs, I want Mason Crosby as our kicker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your options need work. How about a "keep him there isn't anything better available" option?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So settle for sub par? And you surely can't say there isn't anything better out there.
Again who would you replace him with? It's all well and good to scream in the wind about a guy sucking but who is out there that's better? Making a poll on a website isn't telling us what you would do. Great you put 4 options up there none of them tell us who is a free agent that's better. The trade deadline is passed we can't do anything there. So you want him gone who is better that's available? You tell me who is out there who's better. I've already said who I want when we went into week 1.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
For the record he also sucks. Or he'd be kicking for somebody already or had taken the job from Havirisk.
Crosby was 25 of 29 on FG's last year (86%). 3 of those misses were from 50+. So, Crosby was 24 of 25 from 49 yards or less. And he was 37 of 39 on XP's.

If Crosby could replicate his performance of last year, I'm sure most of us would love to have that.

Yeah Crosby is old as dirt (in football years anyway :wow2:). But we all know how much kicking is about mentality and the ability to come through under pressure. Crosby has proven track record, and I'd trust him more than Havrisik to come through in crunch time.

I predict the Rams will re-sign Crosby either this week or next, and give up on the Havrisik experiment.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crosby was 25 of 29 on FG's last year (86%). 3 of those misses were from 50+. So, Crosby was 24 of 25 from 49 yards or less. And he was 37 of 39 on XP's.

If Crosby could replicate his performance of last year, I'm sure most of us would love to have that.

Yeah Crosby is old as dirt (in football years anyway :wow2:). But we all know how much kicking is about mentality and the ability to come through under pressure. Crosby has proven track record, and I'd trust him more than Havrisik to come through in crunch time.

I predict the Rams will re-sign Crosby either this week or next, and give up on the Havrisik experiment.

That was his best year in several years and it's barely better than Havirisk this year. I'll fall back to my initial comment that if Crosby was actually still good, keep in mind he couldn't beat out Havirisk in practice, then he'd have been kicking today.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That experiment would have been over long ago if it were up to me. And yes, Crosby would be my choice at this point. Havrishank hasn't cost a game YET, but he will if we keep him.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Matt Amendola? Is that who you were referring too?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
That was his best year in several years and it's barely better than Havirisk this year. I'll fall back to my initial comment that if Crosby was actually still good, keep in mind he couldn't beat out Havirisk in practice, then he'd have been kicking today.
I'll agree to disagree with ya on some of these points, OS.

Was last year Crosby's "best in several years"? No, that's not fair or accurate. He had solid years in 2019 and 2020, a down year in 2021, and then a solid year again in 2022. Check out the stats-- for kickers, the stats don't lie. 3 of Crosby's last 4 seasons have been very good. (I posted Crosby's career splits above).

Were Crosby's 2O22 results "barely better than Havrisik this year." No, they were a LOT better. Crosby had 4 FG misses in 29 attempts. Havrisik has 4 FG misses already in only 16 attempts. That's nearly DOUBLE the miss rate.

Was Havrisik better than Crosby in practice? Yes, I'll concede he was. When Havrisik is "on" he looks great. All of his kicks against Baltimore were beautiful. I'm sure Havrisik demolished Crosby in practice last week.

But kicking is all about mentality and consistency. I just can't imagine Crosby has lost that much leg strength in a few months. Crosby is an experienced successful vet. No there's not much to choose from out there, but in the playoffs, I for one would rather roll the dice with Crosby than Havirisik.

Look, I'll concede that Crosby might be over-the-hill. But Havrisik is boom or bust-- if he's off, he's a liability. I just trust a vet "who's done it before" over an unknown rookie who seems to get the yips every-other-week.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't like dunking on Ram players but he's on a short leash. Doesn't get his shit together buh bye. Even his XPs are too close for comfort.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's funny is the ST coach conversations with McVay probably echo some of this stuff we're kicking around. Rams have painted themselves into a bit of a corner here.

Maybe it's time to think outside the box and start lining up auditions of former MLS dudes with powerful strikes. But the market feels quite picked over.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This guy has great potential if you see him kick before the game.

During the game, perplexing.

I say keep him and commit to him for the rest of the season.

See if that helps his head during the game. It is worth the risk at this point.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Hard to see from the sideline the accuracy.

But that dude has distance better than any other I have seen.

If it doesn't go thru then it doesn't matter.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll agree to disagree with ya on some of these points, OS.

Was last year Crosby's "best in several years"? No, that's not fair or accurate. He had solid years in 2019 and 2020, a down year in 2021, and then a solid year again in 2022. Check out the stats-- for kickers, the stats don't lie. 3 of Crosby's last 4 seasons have been very good. (I posted Crosby's career splits above).

Were Crosby's 2O22 results "barely better than Havrisik this year." No, they were a LOT better. Crosby had 4 FG misses in 29 attempts. Havrisik has 4 FG misses already in only 16 attempts. That's nearly DOUBLE the miss rate.

Was Havrisik better than Crosby in practice? Yes, I'll concede he was. When Havrisik is "on" he looks great. All of his kicks against Baltimore were beautiful. I'm sure Havrisik demolished Crosby in practice last week.

But kicking is all about mentality and consistency. I just can't imagine Crosby has lost that much leg strength in a few months. Crosby is an experienced successful vet. No there's not much to choose from out there, but in the playoffs, I for one would rather roll the dice with Crosby than Havirisik.

Look, I'll concede that Crosby might be over-the-hill. But Havrisik is boom or bust-- if he's off, he's a liability. I just trust a vet "who's done it before" over an unknown rookie who seems to get the yips every-other-week.
An over the hill kicker who's leg is questionable is just as much a risk.

There are no perfect answers, they thought they had their kicker and it didn't work our. I'm not going g to get upset like some are at the kicker situation, not saying you are, because right now anybody they sign is imperfect or they'd already be somebody's kicker and nor a free agent or on a PS because a lot of teams need kicking help.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams released Crosby, they could have returned him to the PS but clearly that wasnt an option. Did he kick so poorly that they figured he was useless? I seriously doubt it. Did Crosby prefer (or demand) to be released?