Has the NFL Free Agency pool Dried Up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The short answer to why Rams are dragging their feet on Reiter?

Because they think that they already have a better and more balanced run/pass option for Center on their current roster.

That’s it. Hope they’re right.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The short answer to why Rams are dragging their feet on Reiter?

Because they think that they already have a better and more balanced run/pass option for Center on their current roster.

That’s it. Hope they’re right.
Wonder about Reiter.
Not a big fan of PFF ratings.

PFF ... I believe ... gave Reiter a good pass blocking grade but a poor run blocking grade.

McVay wants to pass off the running game; and Mahomes talent and mobility may have favorably impacted Reiter’s pass blocking. In that case, Austin Reiter would not be a good fit for the Rams.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’m thinking we’ll sign one of these guys on the cheap.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When does the signing period end so that player signing doesn’t affect comp picks?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When does the signing period end so that player signing doesn’t affect comp picks?

April 27 if I am reading it right.

“In order for a player to eventually qualify as a compensatory pick, they must be signed by a new team by April 27. The player must also rank highly enough among their peers to be qualified.”

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
So Rams would want to sign the guy who’s team just signed Blythe to replace him? Ok!

dang

Legend
Perhaps the Chiefs offered the opportunity to battle for a starting position while the Rams indicated they were going in another direction for starting center. So Blythe rolled the bones on a chance to start for minimum $$$$.

Psycho_X

Legend
April 27 if I am reading it right.

“In order for a player to eventually qualify as a compensatory pick, they must be signed by a new team by April 27. The player must also rank highly enough among their peers to be qualified.”

Yeah I'd guess a lot of this list will get picked up in the weeks following the draft. Until then teams aren't going to worry about it until they know what they are able to nab with their picks. I suspect the Rams will add one or two more but with cap shortage they are going to see what holes they can fill on draft day first.

dang

Legend
Not having a pick until Round 2.57 likely means the Rams will add depth for this year and good development players for future years. It will not fill their holes at C, Edge, ILB or CB. While it looks like they have someone on the roster in mind for C and ILB, I don’t see the same for Edge or CB. I’d like a couple of FAs picked up to fill those holes.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm thinking we will draft a CB in Rd2, then Edge & OC in Rd 3, another CB in Rd 4, then WR (w/ KR & PR ability) & ILB to run out draft

Last edited:

btfd16

Rookie

Rams technically have 5 comp picks, even though 4 is the max. So we could sign someone right now in the $5m range and still have the max of 4.

dang

Legend
Rams technically have 5 comp picks, even though 4 is the max. So we could sign someone right now in the $5m range and still have the max of 4.
Melvin Engram or KJ Wright. Wanna play in the Taj Mahal???

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If the rams were to tinker with Staffords contract we could plug a few holes and draft for depth rather than desperation.
I could understand why they might hesitate incase it doesn't work you don't want to get in deeper but they are all in restructure sign some very good available remaining free agents and draft for the future to replace the hired guns.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The lowered cap has a lot to do with so many quality players still out there. Teams are holding off and these guys are clinging to their pride. Just my .02.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The lowered cap has a lot to do with so many quality players still out there. Teams are holding off and these guys are clinging to their pride. Just my .02.
A lot of yrs after the initial phase, then you get a few bargains in a 2nd phase. We saw all that....but then teams tend to wait and see what positions are still a need post draft. Then this will pick up again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think so. The decreased cap just demands a little creativity, but seeing the money some of these guys are getting? Nah... I think it's like everything else, the Rams set the precedent and the league follows. May as well wait to sign after the comp pick calculation expires. No point in giving away a pick because you cant wait 2 weeks to sign a guy.
Nobody out there earth shattering