Great article from Bernie Miklasz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Bernie Bytes: Monday Morning Backup QB

When the Rams hired Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator, the move was greeted by positive reviews. McDaniels was viewed as the brain that would expand the playbook and creativity to maximize the potential of young QB Sam Bradford.

Obviously, it hasn't happened. The Rams have the worst offense in the NFL, scoring only 10 touchdowns from scrimmage in 10 games. And three of the TDs on offense came in one game, the 31-21 upset over New Orleans. The Rams' scoring average of 12 points per game would rank among the 25 worst single-season showings (23rd) since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Yes, it's historically bad.

Sure, major injuries at offensive tackle, wide receiver and tight end have played a role in the futility. And with the labor stalemate ruining the offseason, this wasn't the best time for a new OC to install a progressive and complicated offense. Perhaps under better circumstances we'd be seeing more positive developments with McDaniels, and it's fair to acknowledge that.

Still, there's no excuse for the Rams to be this bad on offense. And I thought that McDaniels reached a new low Sunday in the soul-deadening 24-7 loss to Seattle. The Rams' approach on offense made no sense. It was delusional. It bordered on irresponsible.

McDaniels decided to use a spread offense, often lining up with four or even five receivers out of an empty-backfield formation. This was remarkably foolish for multiple reasons:

1. The Rams made themselves one-dimensional, which only made it easier for the Seattle defense. The Rams informed the Seahawks that they didn't plan on making RB Steven Jackson a meaningful part of the game plan. And we're guessing that the Seahawks' only real problem was having to focus and concentrate after giggling at the Rams' silliness.

2. In splitting Jackson wide in these formations and going empty backfield, the Rams eliminated the threat of a play-action fake, which at least had a chance to be effective against Seattle's eight-man (sometimes nine-man) fronts. And if you are going to 4+ wides, at least keep Jackson in the backfield; he has good career numbers in running the football out of spread formations. What was the point of putting Jackson wide? Was he really going to be a factor as a receiver? Was Seattle going to worry about Jackson as a receiver? No. This attempt to use the team's best player as a decoy was asinine; nothing good could be gained from it. The Rams removed SJ39 from their own offense, and the STL coaches seemed to be the only people in the Edward Jones Dome that failed to understand just how ludicrous this was. By going "empty" the Rams sent an engraved invitation to the Seattle side that read: "Please come beat up Sam Bradford."

3. The Rams receivers aren't good enough to scare anyone in a spread formation. In sets in which the Rams have used 4+ receivers this season, Sam Bradford has barely completed 50 percent of his passes, and was averaging a puny 4.57 yards per attempt (befire Sunday). He'd also been sacked 11 times; that count grew yesterday. And there had been no big-play completions (25+ yards). Bradford's passer rating with 4+ receivers coming into Sunday's game: 64.7. It hasn't been an effective strategy for the Rams, so why in the world would McDaniels believe it would work against Seattle? Yes, the Rams have Brandon Lloyd at WR, and he's given them a downfield dimension. But teams are going to double Lloyd on the deep stuff, much of the time anyway. And no one else worries the defense. If you have Green Bay's cast of receivers, sure, go with the spread. But the Rams? Seriously?

4. The use of a spread is dangerous with the Rams so incapable of providing consistent protection for Bradford. Both starting offensive tackles (Jason Smith, Rodger Saffold) are out. The Rams were using a street free agent, Mark LeVoir, at left tackle, with Adam Goldberg playing right tackle. LeVoir, who struggles at pass protection, was injured during the Seattle game. The Rams had to use undrafted rookie Kevin Hughes at LT. He was just up from the practice squad and previously had no NFL experience. Given the dire situation at offensive tackle, how did McDaniels conclude that the Rams would be able to provide the security necessary to run a spread with an empty backfield? (And it's not as if the Rams' excel at pass protection inside, either.) Seattle DE Chris Clemons took advantage of this faulty approach by exploiting Rams' LTs for three sacks, three additional QB hits, two forced fumbles, one tipped pass and several QB pressures. The Rams basically served up Bradford to the Seahawks for an early supper.

5. The Rams had a chance to make some plays against Seattle in the middle of the field, with the tight end. But by going spread, they eliminated the TE as an option on most plays. Rookie Lance Kendricks, returning from a foot injury, was a non-factor in the passing game.

The Rams are averaging 9.9 points per game in Bradford's eight starts this season. Indianapolis has averaged 12 points per game when Curtis Painter starts.

Translation: Epic Fail.

Moving On ...

* Sure, go ahead and punt the ball right down the middle to Seattle's Leon Washington, one of the most dangerous return men in the NFL. Let him break off a couple of significant returns in the first half and completely rearrange the field position, giving Seattle yet another advantage. That's smart coaching right there. Just keep punting it right down the middle to Patrick Peterson, Washington and all of the guys that can hurt your team. Be really stubborn about it. No need to change anything. Not when the three-year record is 10-32. I do not understand Steve Spagnuolo.

* Bradford played poorly. We've already covered McDaniels' incompetent approach. We've noted that Bradford didn't receive solid protection. We've made every excuse for him. But at some point he has to make plays when he has a chance to make plays. Sunday, when Bradford did have time to to throw, when he could have made a difference, but we saw more of the same: Sam hopelessly locked onto one receiver, ignoring open targets, with the subsequent attempts resulting in breakups or inaccurate throw. The most glaring example of this was a 3rd and 7 early in the 4th quarter. Bradford turned to his left and stared at his intended receiver, Jackson, who was easily covered by Seattle. Meanwhile, Lloyd was roaming free over the middle, with no defender in sight. I should have kept count of this but didn't, but it seems to me that Bradford threw into double coverage even more than usual. Which probably means that he had a chance to go elsewhere with the football. There were many more examples of this; Bradford's habit of locking onto one target is getting worse by the week.

* Then again, if Bradford had a QB coach to work with him...

* The Rams are ranked last in the NFL in converting third downs, but I'm pretty sure you knew that already.

* We respect CB Justin King for competing on a sore ankle. We don't question his toughness. But the guy can't play. He can't cover. Period.

* The Rams didn't dress LB Ben Leber against Seattle. Once again, we are wondering why the Rams kept Leber, who is way past his prime, at the expense of releasing rookie LB Jabara Williams, a draft pick of promise who was picked up by a good team, a playoff-bound team, the Chicago Bears. The Rams' gross roster mismanagement is inexcsuable.

* Please: no more of Austin Pettis as a punt returner.

* The Rams defense deserved a better fate against Seattle. The D set up Bradford and the offense with two early INTs and many stops throughout the game. But the Rams offense did little with the chances, and the Rams defense had to stay on the field an awfully long time. The best work came on the ground; the Rams limited Marshawn Lynch to 3.3 yards per carry and a long gain of 12 yards. Overall the Rams gave up 289 yards and only 4.3 yards per play. According to press box stats, MLB James Laurinaitis had 13 tackles.

* Robert Quinn has to play more, right? What the hell are the Rams waiting for? The rookie DE makes a lot of impact for someone that primarily has been used in a limited role.

* The Rams seem utterly incapable of running a smooth, successful screen pass.

* Seattle's Tarvaris Jackson isn't a good QB, but at least Seattle coaches understand that throwing the quick slant is one of the ways to beat a defense that sends extra pass rushers. This point continues to elude the Rams coaches, who would prefer to have Bradford setting up deep and holding onto the ball behind a loose O-Line.

* I feel bad for the fans who pay to watch this junk. The fans have hung in there better than the Rams deserve. The bottom line is this: the Rams are 10-32 under Spagnuolo. They are 12-46 since Billy Devaney came aboard in 2008. They've made no progress with Stan Kroenke as owner. The leadership is failing the team, the franchise, and the fan base.

* Other than the five-year "Greatest Show" period from 1999-2003, the Rams are 59-127 since moving here in '95.

Thanks for reading ...

-Bernie

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-monday-morning-backup-qb/article_325a9e16-1454-11e1-aaf7-001a4bcf6878.html#ixzz1eNbxlVZH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1eNbxlVZH</a>

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't know what is so great about it. It's damn depressing, but he makes some good points, and some bad points.

I agree and disagree with a lot of it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree that it's "depressing" but it's 100% right (imo) and 100% honest, that why I dubbed it as great.

What do you disagree with? Not trying to start anything or be a smart ass, just curious.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
Agree that it's "depressing" but it's 100% right (imo) and 100% honest, that why I dubbed it as great.

What do you disagree with? Not trying to start anything or be a smart ass, just curious.

Sure, major injuries at offensive tackle, wide receiver and tight end have played a role in the futility. And with the labor stalemate ruining the offseason, this wasn't the best time for a new OC to install a progressive and complicated offense. Perhaps under better circumstances we'd be seeing more positive developments with McDaniels, and it's fair to acknowledge that.

Still, there's no excuse for the Rams to be this bad on offense. And I thought that McDaniels reached a new low Sunday in the soul-deadening 24-7 loss to Seattle. The Rams' approach on offense made no sense. It was delusional. It bordered on irresponsible.

Huh, don't these two things contradict each other?

#5, what TE did Bernie want to use? Kendricks shouldn't have even been activated and almost got killed on the field. Bajema? No. Spach, in the game 5 minutes and committs a 15 yard penalty.

OK, we have soo many choices. These are tough decisions with sometimes no good answers. You saw what Clayton did. Amendola's out, Salas is out. Norwood is hobbled.

There were a couple nice one's last week, but don't you think we need a little cohesion on the offensive line to execute something like that properly. Did Hughes even get a walk through practice before the game?

Sam throwing into double coverage...

Has he watched other games, QB's, if anything, Sam is too careful and most of his picks have come from tips.

So, shoot McDaniel's for trying to do something different instead of the same thing that hasn't produced any points. It didn't work. I hated the game plan, but there's not much to work with.

There are other things... Most of what he says is right, it's just hard to read.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Agreed, but I think the offense has reached the point of being so bad to where excuses aren't viable anymore. The play calling was absolutely worthless last game, and even when there was a decent call the execution was miserably terrible.

#5, what TE did Bernie want to use? Kendricks shouldn't have even been activated and almost got killed on the field. Bajema? No. Spach, in the game 5 minutes and committs a 15 yard penalty.

OK, we have soo many choices. These are tough decisions with sometimes no good answers. You saw what Clayton did. Amendola's out, Salas is out. Norwood is hobbled.

There were a couple nice one's last week, but don't you think we need a little cohesion on the offensive line to execute something like that properly. Did Hughes even get a walk through practice before the game?

Has he watched other games, QB's, if anything, Sam is too careful and most of his picks have come from tips.

Again, agree, but only to a certain point. I was at the game Sunday, Sam made some really bad decisions. I agree that it's definitely not all his fault, and we all know he's capable of better. However, even when he had time to throw last week he was absolutely, for sure, staring receivers down. Then making a lot of bad throws.

So, shoot McDaniel's for trying to do something different instead of the same thing that hasn't produced any points. It didn't work. I hated the game plan, but there's not much to work with.

That was the worst game plan, and called game I've seen in a long time. The amount of WTF moments were beyond apprehending. I thought he summed that up pretty well.

There are other things... Most of what he says is right, it's just hard to read.

Again, JMO. In this case I happen to agree with everything he says.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Agreed, but I think the offense has reached the point of being so bad to where excuses aren't viable anymore. The play calling was absolutely worthless last game, and even when there was a decent call the execution was miserably terrible.

Again, agree, but only to a certain point. I was at the game Sunday, Sam made some really bad decisions. I agree that it's definitely not all his fault, and we all know he's capable of better. However, even when he had time to throw last week he was absolutely, for sure, staring receivers down. Then making a lot of bad throws.

That was the worst game plan, and called game I've seen in a long time. The amount of WTF moments were beyond apprehending. I thought he summed that up pretty well.

Again, JMO. In this case I happen to agree with everything he says.
Dude, that's cool. I'm happy that you loved what he said and agreed with everything wholeheartedly.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Bernie has firm grasp of the obvious, yet still manages to contradict himself in the next paragraph.

cfin5256

Rookie
I thought the article was depressing. Unfortunately, not as depressing as having a 38 with no bullets after reading it... :boohoo:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agree with most of it unfortunately. The truth hurts..........

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah I agree....that he does a lot of contradicting.

I remember an earlier article where he mentioned that Bradford's deep completion % wasn't too high, but then he also brought up the top QBs (Brady, Rodgers, etc) don't have high deep completion % either. But Bradford had no excuse for that? Huh???