Grades for Rams vs. Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Among others, I thought Hummel really stood out on several plays. He looks like he has maybe muscled up since last year and was really active and around the ball.

Agreed, he seems to have really good awareness and great lateral movement. He also has a nose for the football always being in a good position. I'd like to see how he progresses.

dang

Legend

It seems to have finally clicked for Bruss. It would be such an added bonus if he keeps it up and makes the team. Can't have too many linemen.

I’ve been pulling for Bruss since he got drafted. Not sure why (because I didn’t for Allen or haven’t for Note) but Ive given him a pass on his poor start and injuries. I’d love to see him be B+ depth at OG if we need him ( which could be to start this season until JJax is fully recovered).

dang

Legend
I like Jake Hummel (Go Clones!) But rember he did break a record last year in preseason....

It counts for something right? Lol
I know I’m pouring on Reeder but please let Speights or Hummel shine. We will need at least one of them this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strange that I don't recall Hummel playing well in preseason prior. All I recall is wondering where the dude was that I saw on his Iowa St film. He's small but smart and covers a ton of ground on that film. Never really saw that player in our defense but maybe it's just my perception idk.

Speights I was not familiar with. Problem is I don't watch nearly as much ball as I used to. But I like the way he squares it up. Gonna enjoy watching both these guys in the next two games.

I will say that with ILB one major fucking irritation is when teams go too far with the safety conversions. It's one thing to convert a box safety who has shown thump and tenaciousness and range/tackling in that usage. But I think teams cross wires on this. They sometimes choose guys who are chase tacklers (Littleton would be a recent Rams example of this), who are as different from run fillers as sight hounds are to bloodhounds. You can't take a dude who is contact shy and "convert" him to a run stuffer at this level. And I don't care how well he tackles in space, or how much speed/range he brings, because in that ILB role being able to stuff your run fit is the primary responsibility. Or should be.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I was really impressed with J. Hummel this past Sunday.
Seemed everytime I looked he was in the picture.
Also, whenever Lance tried to throw into the flat Hummel was already in position to compete.
Mebbe the light has come on for this guy. I've always liked LBers who can cover and blanket receivers like that.

Really think in today's NFL that's something that a good defense has gotta get done.

~ArkyRamsFan~

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Strange that I don't recall Hummel playing well in preseason prior. All I recall is wondering where the dude was that I saw on his Iowa St film. He's small but smart and covers a ton of ground on that film. Never really saw that player in our defense but maybe it's just my perception idk.

Speights I was not familiar with. Problem is I don't watch nearly as much ball as I used to. But I like the way he squares it up. Gonna enjoy watching both these guys in the next two games.

I will say that with ILB one major fucking irritation is when teams go too far with the safety conversions. It's one thing to convert a box safety who has shown thump and tenaciousness and range/tackling in that usage. But I think teams cross wires on this. They sometimes choose guys who are chase tacklers (Littleton would be a recent Rams example of this), who are as different from run fillers as sight hounds are to bloodhounds. You can't take a dude who is contact shy and "convert" him to a run stuffer at this level. And I don't care how well he tackles in space, or how much speed/range he brings, because in that ILB role being able to stuff your run fit is the primary responsibility. Or should be.
I so agree -- I think it's one of the reasons that run-first / run-heavy teams like the 9ers have typically run all over us, it's been a long time since we've had a real thumper in the middle, Earnest excepted, though I'm not a good judge of LB play. Even JLau was seen chasing from behind a lot. The Barron experiment needed to end faster than it did. Littleton was Ok but we need some guys who will stand up a RB, heck even stand up a G. Really liked how Speights stood up that RB.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I so agree -- I think it's one of the reasons that run-first / run-heavy teams like the 9ers have typically run all over us, it's been a long time since we've had a real thumper in the middle, Earnest excepted, though I'm not a good judge of LB play. Even JLau was seen chasing from behind a lot. The Barron experiment needed to end faster than it did. Littleton was Ok but we need some guys who will stand up a RB, heck even stand up a G. Really liked how Speights stood up that RB.
Yeah the Shitters have been schooling us for years in ILB draft selection. Those fuckers have routinely found top ILBs in round 3 range, which infuriates me when my team ends up with these guys who aren't up for it snap to snap.

I think McVay is swinging around though on the physicality element and realizing these things. Though it's not just him of course. As you said this goes back. JLau was not a thumper either. He was more willing to fill his run fit when the fire was in the hole, but the results were iffy. It's a tough job man. Not everyone is cut out for it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I was really impressed with J. Hummel this past Sunday.
Seemed everytime I looked he was in the picture.
Also, whenever Lance tried to throw into the flat Hummel was already in position to compete.
Mebbe the light has come on for this guy. I've always liked LBers who can cover and blanket receivers like that.

Really think in today's NFL that's something that a good defense has gotta get done.

~ArkyRamsFan~
I think maybe this DC is asking the players to do things a little more aggressively. More moving forward, more taking on the receiver earlier. Maybe some of the keys are simpler cause they looked fast. I don't know, but that D looked different.
or maybe Dallas just sucks and against a better team or players maybe they look the same. I am looking forward to the next Pre-season game to find out more.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think maybe this DC is asking the players to do things a little more aggressively. More moving forward, more taking on the receiver earlier. Maybe some of the keys are simpler cause they looked fast. I don't know, but that D looked different.
or maybe Dallas just sucks and against a better team or players maybe they look the same. I am looking forward to the next Pre-season game to find out more.
This would make a great post... is Chrus Shula energizing the Rams defense? Guys were rushing the passer, run downs were being stuffed, receivers were tackled immediately upon getting the ball, and lots of good tackles. I realize they were playing against Trey Lance but they were aggressive as hell. Me likey!