Grade our draft so far.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
First Grade I saw for him was a C. least they were handing them out live so take it FWIW.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

There's nothing personal here - just the last guy I didn't want, and I felt there were multiple better prospects at #2. I think at #2 you look for impact players, not "projects and upside"
That grade was given because the guy didn't like the pick and thought the Rams should take someone at a different position. He specifically mentioned Watson. That grade wasn't given because he's an average player. How are you doling out your grades? On the selection (position, slot, both) or the perceived talent-level of the player? That might clear things up (or make it worse. lol)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think a lot of people are way into Watkins because of the flash factor, but the games start and end with the lines, and we needed to fix those issues. Anyone remember the shit we rolled out onto the field during the Bulger years? Start of Bradford's career? Sam has had nearly 30 different guys play on the line right? Or is it 30 different combinations of lines? Either way, that's far too much instability to be able to pass up a great player on the line because a receiver is flashy.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A+.
Took the second best player in the draft at #2 right where he should have been.
Donald was a gift @13. I had him as 5th bpa in the draft.
Other teams had to let him slide for him to be there for the but the Rams had the brains to jump on him. Kudos for that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Incomplete. The only gear they even received was a hat. And Aaron Donald didn't even get that last night.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That grade was given because the guy didn't like the pick and thought the Rams should take someone at a different position. He specifically mentioned Watson. That grade wasn't given because he's an average player. How are you doling out your grades? On the selection (position, slot, both) or the perceived talent-level of the player? That might clear things up (or make it worse. lol)
From what I read, it was given because we already had tackles, but didn't have a #1 WR. That's a valid argument.

The Rams seem content to go the guard now, tackle maybe later route, and that's a valid way of doing things. But I can understand where Walter is coming from on this.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
There's a poll at the side of the page but I'd be interested in a bit more detail behind people's reasoning.

I'd give it a C+, we came into day 1 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR we go into day 2 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR. We did add 2 really nice players but I'm not sure how many games they help us win.

If we can land one of my top 2 WRs and one of my top FSs tonight then I'll be bump up the overall grade to a B+.[/QUOT

I give them an A. I read that the Rams wanted the CB Gilbert but he was taken just before their #13 pick. They went with their board and took the DT that many people called a top 5 talent.

iced

same reason - watkins, matthews, hell even khalil mack are better prospects imo

JYB

Starter
There's a poll at the side of the page but I'd be interested in a bit more detail behind people's reasoning.

I'd give it a C+, we came into day 1 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR we go into day 2 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR. We did add 2 really nice players but I'm not sure how many games they help us win.

If we can land one of my top 2 WRs and one of my top FSs tonight then I'll be bump up the overall grade to a B+.

A+ for getting top rated OT, top rated DT and for not forcing picks based on need, which is how teams stay mediocre.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not the way I would have gone, but they have knocked it out of the park. 4 Impact players through 3 rounds. YES!

A+

BeerOClock

Rookie
Haven't heard one analyst call this guy a project...he is going to have an immediate impact, no doubt about that. While I've heard he needs work on pass protection, everyone I've heard says he could start at LT immediately...that says impact to me.

You're listening to the wrong people.

He needs work on his pass protection--everyone says he could start at LT immediately. Can't you see the disconnect here? Kony Ealy got crushed by Robinson on runs, but easily ran past him on pass plays. Just think what JJ Watt would do.

I think Robinson is a very solid pick, but a little bit of a reach for #2. If it weren't for the fact that he will be a great plug in at Guard, you have Boudreau coaching him up and he's very athletic for his size, I'd say it was a terrible pick. It fills a need and he'll be a great player for the Rams in time.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's still incomplete for me. But I really, really like the Lamarcus Joyner pick. I didn't know much about him, but after reading his interview and learning about his play style...looks like the Rams drafted a real bully of a player with him. With him in the nickel, looks like the Rams CBs are set.

Tre Mason was a good pick too. Surprised he was the 4th or 5th RB taken, but who knows. Him and Zac Stacy is gonna be an awesome combo to watch.

All in all I liked today's better than round 1, and overall the Rams are doing a great job. Just hope they live up to all these "grades" come October, November, etc.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Still a solid A for me. I loved the Joyner pick. Even got my dad to come around on it, and he's usually against drafting smaller players. And Tre Mason, who was probably my number two back, and a guy I expected to go in the second round falling to us in the third? That gets an A from me. We're going to be rotating three running backs, guys who go hard on every play, yet still have different styles (Stacy the bowling ball knocking down a strike, Mason the greased seal in water, and Cunningham the hammer against the anvil). I love this draft so far.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
As long as we stay ahead of the chains I don't think we'll have many problems, but as soon as we fall behind I don't see any receiver on our team who can pull us out of it or who the opposition D has to respect. I also worry about 3rd and 10 I'd only trust Bailey to actually catch the football in such a situation, everyone else is an adventure even on a well thrown ball. Our O line on the other hand was already solid.

Defensively sacks and hurries are great, but if opposition QBs have WRs running wide open they're still going to complete a high percentage of passes regardless of the impact that Donald has. How many sacks/hurries does Donald actually contribute when that's already your D's strength?

If both players turn out to be the hall of famers Snead wanted to get from the draft then it will easily be an A++++ draft but today it still leaves me with the same worries I had going into the draft.

What's done is done. It's time to climb on board the Rams train.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd give it an A. It's been a solid draft so far and I see all of our picks making an immediate contribution.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Football is a team sport and when giving a grade on a drafted player I try to look at how and if that guy improves 1) the unit he plays on 2)the side of the ball he plays on 3) the team and lastly how the guy performs iindividually. And sorry but I am old school and I look at if the guy carries himself with some measure of class and dignity.
A plus for the Rams so far.