Gordon's Rams Chat Highlights: Don't Use Robinson as OG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordo’s Chat Highlights:

—The Rams didn’t have a lot of cap money, so I don’t understand the uproar over free agency. They don’t have a lot of cap dollars now. All it means is: 1) The Rams opted to lock in and keep more key players than other teams and 2) They are serious about building through the draft. Most teams that spend big on free agents are teams that dumped a lot of big-salary players or never had them in the first place. For better or worse, the Rams bucked up for the Longs, Cook and Laurinatis, plus Bradford of course.

—If the Rams draft Robinson, it will be to play tackle. Long’s readiness for Week 1 is murky and it’s not like he had a great year over there last season. Barksdale on the other side came along well, but, again, he is not a pillar.

—You don’t draft a guy second overall to play guard. The Rams have had success moving guys inside, as they did with Saffold and Williams, but Robinson is a legit long-term OT in the NFL. If the Rams use that pick in him, they should park him at RT if Long is ready and LT if he is not.

—Why Not A QB at #2? Because that guy would sit behind Bradford while a huge need position goes unfilled.

—Chris Long? He is a good player. You can argue that he is not a great player or not worth the money. The same could be said for Jake Long. And, again, those contracts are two of the reasons the Rams aren’t big players in this free agent marketplace.

—WR is on the Rams’ list. Les Snead loves the depth of this draft. If the Rams go OT and S with the first two picks, he could get a first-round caliber WR on the second day.

—I don’t see the Fitzpatrick/Schaub tradeoff changing the Texans draft outlook. Clowney still a real possibility for them, but they still need a QB.

Read All Chat Highlights

iced

—If the Rams draft Robinson, it will be to play tackle. Long’s readiness for Week 1 is murky and it’s not like he had a great year over there last season.

huh? :wtf:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_77a8b28d-6f08-5a8d-a0c8-aca0805d27b9.html

With just two weeks left in fan balloting, three Rams are among the leaders at their position for the Pro Bowl.

At defensive end Robert Quinn ranks third with 281,679 votes, trailing only J.J. Watt of Houston (329,766) and Mario Williams of Buffalo (287,486).

At offensive tackle, Jake Long is fifth with 132,745 votes, behind Branden Albert of Kansas City (189,159), Joe Staley of San Francisco (167,233), Joe Thomas of Cleveland (145,141), and Chris Clark of Denver (140,663).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/28/injury-report-next-man-up-week-17/
Injury: Jake Long, Rams T (Torn ACL & MCL)Next Man Up: Rodger Saffold

What They’re Losing: Once the NFL’s gold standard for left tackles, Long regressed so badly last year that the Rams were able to sign him for a relative value in free agency. But he took major strides back towards his old form this year, posting the sixth-highest grade of any left tackle and nearly earning a spot on our Pro Bowl team.

What They’re Getting: He may be disgruntled off the field after being bumped out of the premiere left tackle spot by Long’s arrival, but Saffold has carried himself well on the field with a +9.6 grade in six starts at his new right guard spot. And with 16 QB pressures allowed in 10 starts on the blind side last season, he can hold down the fort in the Rams final game.

May not be "orlando pace" , but "not like he had a great year" is far from accurate.. in fact he had a pretty dam good year

fearsomefour

Legend
Dumb.
You don't draft a guy at 2 to play G. You DO draft a guy to play however. Playing either Robinson or Matthews at G improves the line, period. Playing Robinson at RT and Barksdale to the bench if Long is ready may improve the line but not nearly as much as filling the hole at LG.
This sort of adherence to philosophy over reality is just lame.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
You don't draft a guy that high and sit him, that's for sure! T or G, he's gonna play and get experience. Then take over at tackle. Not that hard to understand, is it?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
You don’t draft a guy second overall to play guard.
Not this again.

So you have a John Hannah, Larry Allen or Tom Mack in this draft and you don't draft him at two? No: you take the player at a glamour position, because they always add more to the team. I mean, just look at the amazing contributions made in recent years by players such as Jason Smith or RGIII-and-out. Always pick the player at the glamour position, even if others in the same draft are better.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Just curious. Does anyone know if Gordo goes to the Rams training camp? Does he go to the games? Does he go to Rams park? Does he do anything more than we do?

I never see him at any of the Press Conferences or really anything like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression Gordo doesn't spend much time working on following the Rams.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I honesty don't listen to any of the PD's opinions. They are as close to the team as anyone and most times they seem clueless.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Hey, Gordo! If Steve Hutcheson, Larry Allen, or Jonathan Ogden were available at #2, would you pass on them? Is there any chance that Robinson and Long on the left side would be a good option for Stacy on third and one, goal to go? I mean, would that affect red zone scoring at all?

Oh, and Long didn't have a good season? I guess if you can't report accurate information, you can troll for a living -- I understand they have openings on Rams Talk

Memphis Ram

Legend
Dumb, dumb, dumb. This guy gets paid for this?

I never read his stuff, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in not considering that anyone selected at #2 wouldn't make guard their career home. Then again, when I left St. Louis all this Gordon guy covered was the motor sports report so who knows?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I never read his stuff, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in not considering that anyone selected at #2 wouldn't make guard their career home. Then again, when I left St. Louis all this Gordon guy covered was the motor sports report so who knows?
This piece makes him look like he started covering Ram football this morning...

jjab360

Legend
So many people overlook Barksdale it's ridiculous. He was one of the best RTs in the league last year.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Jeff Gordon is just another guy paid to give an opinion, too bad they don't reflect much thought or effort. This kind of garbage doesn't surprise me coming from him. I put this guy on a par with Bernie (for different reasons) for the quality of work he does.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I didn't even get past the first part of it.

Why Robinson son makes sense.

-After a trade down, he's a great option with Clowney off the board.

-He's bigger than most NFL lineman and still very athletic. LG is a great spot for him. Check out Saffold.

-He's versatile which makes him more valuable. Jake's health/durability is a major major "?" going into next season. Saffold is a fine option to back him up and Robinson can fill in for Saffold, who is also injury prone.

-Would Long and Saffold being out at the same time surprise anyone? Hell no! And if we don't have someone really good to step up then look out!

It makes a ton of sense, Gordo is a tool.

iced

I didn't even get past the first part of it.

Why Robinson son makes sense.

-After a trade down, he's a great option with Clowney off the board.

-He's bigger than most NFL lineman and still very athletic. LG is a great spot for him. Check out Saffold.

-He's versatile which makes him more valuable. Jake's health/durability is a major major "?" going into next season. Saffold is a fine option to back him up and Robinson can fill in for Saffold, who is also injury prone.

-Would Long and Saffold being out at the same time surprise anyone? Hell no! And if we don't have someone really good to step up then look out!

It makes a ton of sense, Gordo is a tool.

Has Robinson played Guard in college?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
—If the Rams draft Robinson, it will be to play tackle. Long’s readiness for Week 1 is murky and it’s not like he had a great year over there last season. Barksdale on the other side came along well, but, again, he is not a pillar.

You don’t draft a guy second overall to play guard. The Rams have had success moving guys inside, as they did with Saffold and Williams, but Robinson is a legit long-term OT in the NFL. If the Rams use that pick in him, they should park him at RT if Long is ready and LT if he is not.

Gordon, shuddup. Stupid shit like this doesn't win football games. You win football games by putting your best 5 out there. Not adhering to idiotic "rules" such as "you can't play a guy that was drafted second overall at OG". Because when you adhere to that idiotic rule, you put a guy that was a quality starter in Barksdale on the bench in 2014 while starting a journeyman liability at LG.

So no, that's not good football sense nor is it maximizing your use of talent.