Gordon: Clowney Will Help Rams Rebuild

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_94f271ea-cddd-581f-bafe-6077dc8e89e6.html

Tipsheet: Clowney will help Rams rebuild
By Jeff Gordon jgordon@post-dispatch.com

South Carolina sackmaster Jadeveon Clowney will become a critical piece of the Rams' future.

Starting with the NFL draft combine, Clowney will dazzle NFL scouts, coaches and executives. He possesses rare physical ability and he promises to display all of it during the drills.

Teams will come away from this exercise coveting him. Odds are, he will be available with the second overall pick because the Houston Texans simply have to draft a quarterback.

This would leave the Rams with a ton of leverage. The franchise could draft Clowney and ignore its many other needs – but it seems far more likely to auction off that pick.

As teams fall deeper in love with Clowney during the individual workouts to come, their bidding could become more intense. So one way or another, Clowney will be instrumental in the Rams’ quest for playoff contention.

SI.com’s Andy Staples had this take:

We dinged Clowney—ever so slightly—during the season for an effort that didn’t measure up to his stellar sophomore year. Whether that dip was the consequence of nagging injuries or something else remains to be seen. But Clowney’s decision to do everything at the combine suggests he’s taking this process very seriously. On The Dan Patrick Show last week, guest host Kay Adams asked me what Clowney’s biggest challenge at the combine would be. My answer? Avoiding tripping over the dangling tongues of personnel people after each drill. I was only sort of kidding. Clowney probably will get some tough questions about his production, but he’ll likely leave a supremely positive impression on those evaluating him. Will it be enough to make him the No. 1 pick in the draft? Probably not as long as the Texans have the No. 1 pick. They have the best defensive end in the NFL and a glaring need at quarterback. The question is whether some team will be willing to trade up to grab Clowney.

ESPN.com’s Vaughn McClure suggested the Atlanta Falcons should start taking trade:

Jadeveon Clowney vowed to put up "amazing" numbers at the NFL combine this week in Indianapolis. Well, the Atlanta Falcons better have their stopwatches and notepads ready to dissect his every move.

If the South Carolina defensive end follows through with his promise and blows away the field with his performance, the Falcons would be wise to start compiling their trade proposals to move up in the NFL draft. Whether Clowney tears up the combine or not, he's unlikely to be around if the Falcons remain at the sixth overall spot.

The Falcons sorely need a game-changer along the defensive line after tying for 29th in the league with 32 sacks in 2013. Their lack of consistent pressure made third down seem like going to the free throw line for opposing offenses.

Rams GM Les Snead used to work for the Falcons, so we're pretty sure that team knows how to contact him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
BOY I was ready to smack Gordo, till I read the article,I agree he's gonna put on a show and make us some draft choices and maybe on our second trade down.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
t1922.gif

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Gordon should just visit ROD, then he wouldn't have to credit other writers.
Steal ideas here and call them his own;)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This really is sooo two months ago... lol

It's gonna be that way for a while.

I'm weary of trading down that far... Watkins stock will rise after his workouts. I'm pulling for CLE.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm hoping he makes it impossible for Fisher not to take him. If the rams are gonna play more man coverage the rams pass rush is gonna be insane with the addition of clowney.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So this really WAS a rebuild. ...
Yeah his first year established a core of players to add to the smidgen he was given, then the rebuilding was in full swing, this year will be the finish work and depth, hopefully a first next year from the trade down ( which anyone aught to be able to see means we don't want Clowney for anything but trade bait ) to continue building the dy-nasty.

I heard someone on XM today say something to the effect that not only didn't Clowney not always show up in games sometimes he didn't show up for practice,one of the guys on after 10 AM

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I'm hoping he makes it impossible for Fisher not to take him. If the rams are gonna play more man coverage the rams pass rush is gonna be insane with the addition of clowney.

I hope that, too. I mean if he is as good as the hype then we're talking perinial DPOY. Am I right?

But he will help us rebuild because it drives the price up on our pick. I get it...

jjab360

Legend
I hope that, too. I mean if he is as good as the hype then we're talking perinial DPOY. Am I right?

But he will help us rebuild because it drives the price up on our pick. I get it...
Well, it's gonna be tough considering he's going up against the guy he's playing across from to win the award every year.;)

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Woooow... When did we get "Similar Threads?"

This place is gettin fancy. Might have to start wearing my tie in here. Nice.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think if you put on pants @Boffo97 it would make everyone uncomfortable. We don't need to draw any attention to ourselves. Best we just hang out at the table blocked by the bar.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
BOY I was ready to smack Gordo, till I read the article,I agree he's gonna put on a show and make us some draft choices and maybe on our second trade down.
I'm still ready to smack Gordo for not realizing the best DE in NFL plays right under his nose in STL! :mad:

tonyl711

Starter
we are going to trade to #4 so Cleveland gets their QB, then trade to #6 so Atlanta can get Clowney, we should end up with a couple extra second rounders and an extra third this year, then a first and second for next year.

Ram_of_Old

I think our D is solid, especially with Williams here now. I really think our biggest needs are on O. Our D secondary could use some help, but otherwise we seem to be in good shape. Williams will make us a top five defense....just watch.