Good draft: my take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
This was a very good draft IMO. It filled all the holes except PK which tells me they have already decided who they will sign, either vet or UDFA. The bottom line is that IMO this could easily make the Rams very competitive for the division title.

OG Avila: A day one starter at LG. I see him moving inside to center in 2024.

Edge Young: He has elite traits and offers a clear upgrade to Floyd at JACK. Really surprised when he fell as far as he did. He has first round talent.

DT Turner: I see him as Donald's understudy as he plays in rotation at 3T.

QB Bennett: Undersized but talented QB. Does not project as a franchise starting QB but does project as a solid career backup. A clear upgrade to Wolford.

Edge Hampton: I think they will use him as a SAM (strongside OLB) in the way they used Ebukam. For strong side contain and as a blitzing LB.

OL McClendon: Listed as a OT and projects as a RT or RG. Like Havenstein he struggles with heavy feet (i.e. struggles against speed). That is why I can see him being converted into a OG at this level. If he can make the transition this year he can offer the Rams an option at OG when Avila moves to center in 2024.

TE Allen: offers the Rams a blocking TE that they haven't had since Mundt left. That said Allen would appear to be an upgrade as he can function as a receiving TE as well. He probably bumps Hopkins off the roster.

WR Nacua: He is a possession type receiver in the mold of Skowronek and would seem to bump McCutcheon off the roster to the PS. I also see this as another indicator of McVay moving the focus of his offense to move the chains and being more selective as to when they take their deep strikes.

CB Hodges-Tomlinson: He is a clear SCB with good speed and agility for the position, and well suited for a zone heavy secondary. I think he bumps Kendrick back to dime DB.

Edge Mathis: I think he bumps VanValkenburg back to the PS. His role would be depth but primarily STs.

RB Evans: RB3 with day-two talent. Injury concerns but fills the need for a bigger RB. Could easily be RB2 if needed should Williams go down. Plays faster than his timed speed. Good value for the pick.

P Evans: Small program player with a decent average. Can also provide depth at PK if needed. Not who I would have taken but the Rams obviously scouted him well.

SAF Taylor: He has enough speed to offer some positional flexibility. Good tackler, but prone to mistakes in this reads. I see him as a developmental player offering STs value in the short term.

DL Johnson: Listed as a DE but seems more suited as a 3T. Played all DL positions in college. More quick than fast. He can be very disruptive when playing inside. That said he's raw and needs development. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as a PS project play for a year perhaps two.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The more I break down this draft the more I think I can see what Snead and McVay are thinking when they drafted 3 edges.

Young: Starter replacing Floyd

Hampton: Starter as their SAM LB. In a Tampa 2 zone scheme, Hampton has the speed and athleticism to fill that short to intermediate zone normally filled by the MIKE. But Jones lacks the speed and athleticism to play that role. They tried to use a 3rd safety but they were too light to come up and fill on runs and not fast enough to cover.

Mathis: Replaces Keir Thomas behind Hoecht and can play in rotation. Gives the Rams an early down option to Hoecht who is still learning the position. Mathis would be better at setting a hard edge on early downs and giving them pass rush pressure on early down passes.

Allen Davis TE: I think he is hoped to be the successor to Higbee. Unlike Higbee, Davis can block and still gives them a receiving TE.

Right now the only one of the drafted players I see not making the roster would be Johnson.