Gonzalez: It might be time for Rams to splurge on a No. 1 receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It might be time for Rams to splurge on a No. 1 receiver

Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

From now until the start of free agency, on March 7, we'll take a position-by-position look at the Los Angeles Rams in eight installments. The Rams -- coming off a 4-12 season that prompted the hiring of rookie head coach Sean McVay -- have about $40 million in cap space but do not have a first-round pick. They also have a lot of needs, all of which can feel a little overwhelming without breaking it down by section. We'll do that here. First up: wide receivers and tight ends.

Key returnees: Tavon Austin, Lance Kendricks, Pharoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee, Bradley Marquez, Temarrick Hemingway, Mike Thomas, Nelson Spruce

Notable free agents: Kenny Britt, Brian Quick

Top free agents available (for now): Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Terrelle Pryor, Kenny Stills, Robert Woods, Martellus Bennett

Key stat: Britt had a career-high 1,002 receiving yards in 2016, becoming the Rams' first 1,000-yard receiver since Torry Holt in 2007. The Rams went eight years without producing a 1,000-yard receiver. In that stretch, from 2008 to '15, the NFL produced 174 1,000-yard receivers and every other team had at least one. Twenty-eight of them had two or more.

The Rams won't get the most out of quarterback Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in 2016, until they improve at receiver. It's really that simple. You can blame scheme and you can blame the offensive line, which allowed a staggering 25 sacks over the final six weeks. But Rams receivers dropped a ton of Goff's passes down the stretch, from Britt to Austin to Kendricks to Cooper. From Weeks 11 to 17, the stretch when Goff started, Rams receivers dropped 5.5 percent of their targets, the sixth-highest rate during that time. It will be up to McVay to try to get the most out of Austin, who didn't produce anywhere near the expectations of his $42 million extension.

In last year's fourth round, the Rams selected Cooper, a major threat after the catch, and Higbee, a versatile tight end who can line up on the outside. Neither made much of an impact as rookies, but will surely be counted on more heavily in 2017. The same can probably be said for Thomas, who was considered a draft sleeper but fumbled a kickoff and dropped a long touchdown in limited time. And Spruce, a possession receiver and promising non-drafted free agent who was never healthy enough to play. Regardless, this might be the position the Rams choose to splurge on. They need a clear No. 1. They haven't had one since, well, Holt and Isaac Bruce.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That is a no brainer. If any of these guys they have end up the number one, don't expect much improvement. None of these guys are a number one. Most of them play like number two. :poop:

jap

Legend
"Gonzalez: It might be time for Rams to splurge on a No. 1 receiver"

Ya think!?!

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah, file that in the "well duuuhhhhhhh" category. We've got enough supplemental talent on the team if we had that one go to guy our offense could surprise. I think McVay will finally tap into Tavon's true talents and highlight them to make him the true playmaker we've expected him to be. We just need that one WR to stretch the field. Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce I think will develop into a hell of a receiving corps and eventually Cooper or Thomas might develop into a number 1 but that's a few years away. So if we can plug one in for a few years it'd be good. Garcon or Jackson are everyone's immediate suggestions because of their McVay connections. I'd be ok with that for a couple of years. Garcon has never exactly been a stud number 1 though. He's performed in the Kenny Britt range stat wise. DeSean would be extremely interesting paired with Tavon for a few years also. I wouldn't break the bank for either though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They thought they had a number one when they picked Quick, and then again when trading up for Tavon.

What they need is to have someone show Snead what characteristics make a number one WR.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So TA isn't considered that? Why in the world did we pay him that large amount? Fml...Usually not good when there is doubt, and consider grabbing a #1.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:thinking: It seems to me, when a Team is Targeting 6 or 7 Players, WR's-TE's-RB's, in the passing game, per game. It would be a bit difficult to have a 1000 yard in receptions in a year. And, maybe, be able to identify one as a "#1" receiver! Just thinking out loud!o_O

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Delusional writer....you don't need one piece. You need a collective group of targets with certain skills...And the main one being able to understand the offensive game plan. The other being reliable hands. If you have these, even a Kevin Hogan, 7-11 fame, is dangerous. Julio is nice, but you need to have SEVERAL pieces b4 you go and get him....We're not there yet.
Draft good players. Julio's nice...but so are Edelman, Amedola, Hogan, and Bennett. Hell, the Browns cut Gabriel. Probably are gonna let Pryor walk too...Wide receivers are a dime a dozen. I bet we have one or two that are pretty good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Go get Alshon Jeffery. With that dude in our offense everything would suddenly fall in place:

X: Jeffery
Y: Austin
Z: Cooper

Depth would be ok too with some intriguing guys like Thomas and Spruce competing. With McVay running the offense Higbee will be in the pattern a lot too, and he'll be well-prepared and IMO the guy is going to have a big season, his talent is going to show. And of course Gurley running the ball and being in the pattern.

There would be enough to have a solid/good offense there. Maybe more, depending on how Goff develops through this camp.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
we have only been saying that since Holt and Bruce left

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think that McVay can really improve Tavon Austin's ability to CATCH the football:(.

On any contested balls involving TA ....will be a Fail Completion:mad:. Even passes thrown to him while being wide open is iffy @ best if its a catch:censored:.

Myself I would just hope that Snead & McVay can locate & sign several good very solid veteran ball catchers in Free Agency. I could care less if they are not classified as NO#1 types wide outs:huh:.

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come get me!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I wouldn't mind Jackson from WAS but he doesn't solve all of our problems since it's likely we need to replace Britt. I'd sign Jackson, re sign Britt or sign Garcon, and draft a WR high. We've been so starved at the WR for so long it's time to invest and stop hoping our 4th and 5th round picks develop into starting players.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Antonio Brown might be on the market boys. We better trade for that man.

Might come with baggage. But hell, we need someone who cares about how well they perform. He might be too expensive.