Goff vs Warner ('99 and '01)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, you can...because the record books just record stats, and context passes away after the years pass. No one talks about context really when looking at Warner's numbers and then comparing with Rodger Staubach's numbers

You want to see something funny, look at Terry Bradshaw's numbers.

Those numbers today wouldn't get you a backup job. And he'd never have survived all those early interceptions in today's NFL, that's for DANG sure!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty amazing....
'99 Kurt Warner (16 games)
4,353 and 41 TD's

'01 Kurt Warner (16 games)
4,830 and 36 TD's
------------------------------------
'18 Jared Goff (11 games)
3,547 and 26 TD's

'18 Jared Goff (16 games projected)
5,159 and 38 TD's

I tell you what. Short of a career ending injury to him or McVay, Goff is the only young QB poised to challenge current records and I think Goff will be the one to challenge and surpass Brees' records. I say Brees because he's going to play next year and take the TD title as well.

The ONLY record Goff may not get is the overall or season TD record because McVay likes to run a balanced offense.

But yeah, I'm saying it NOW that Goff is going to be a first ballot HoFer with MULTIPLE Super Bowl wins.

After all my pattern stuff, is anyone going to doubt me?

tempests

Hall of Fame
The GSOT was more advanced for its time and arguably more dominant. But this 2018 Rams offense is on pace to become the fifth highest scoring offense ever-also historically significant.

Should Goff finish with those projected numbers, it would by the eighth most passing yards by a QB for a single season. Manning, Brees, Brady, and Mahomes (if he stays on his pace) would be the only QBs who threw for more in a season.

Already in his young career Goff has played in the highest scoring Thursday Night game of all time (last year vs 49ers); highest scoring Monday Night game of all time and had the greatest passing performance in a Thursday Night game (against the Vikings). Goff and McVay are becoming appointment television on prime time games, even for non Ram fans, just like the GSOT used to be.

It's an advanced offensive era, but the Rams are leading the charge; the difference now is in 1999 they did it on their own, in 2018 they're sharing the spotlight with two other teams.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Who took over for Warner in 2000 when he got injured?

Its before my time as an NFL or Rams fan.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who took over for Warner in 2000 when he got injured?

Its before my time as an NFL or Rams fan.

Trent Green came in for Warner. As I recall, he did pretty well. But with how terrible the defense was at times that year, he couldn't keep up.

fearsomefour

Legend
Goff is doing great, but you can't really compare today's game to 20 years ago. Warner had the #1 passer rating in 1999 with 109.2. This year, he would be 7th and just above Cam Newton at 102.7. Hell, league average this year is 94.4, which would have been 3rd best in 1999.
Yeah.
Rewatch the 99 super bowl of you have the chance. Warner releases the ball and rushers are taking two full steps and blasting Warner.
Defenders could hit and play defense in coverage.
Martz may not even have run plays in his game plans if he was play calling now.
Haha.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah.
Rewatch the 99 super bowl of you have the chance. Warner releases the ball and rushers are taking two full steps and blasting Warner.
Defenders could hit and play defense in coverage.
Martz may not even have run plays in his game plans if he was play calling now.
Haha.
I really don’t know how Kurt had the career that he did. I saw a hit on Goff in this last game, where it took a second or two for him to get up and I wondered if he was injured.

With Kurt at QB and Martz coaching, Kurt would get smashed several times a game.

fearsomefour

Legend
I really don’t know how Kurt had the career that he did. I saw a hit on Goff in this last game, where it took a second or two for him to get up and I wondered if he was injured.

With Kurt at QB and Martz coaching, Kurt would get smashed several times a game.
He was tough as hell and was perfectly content to stand in the pocket and take hits to deliver the ball.
Goff does a great job standing in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield.
One side affect of this approach is there will be some sacks taken.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Would it cheapen a Rams Super Bowl win this year, since the players didn't play under the GSOT environment? Conditions change and players play in the regulations and systems they are given. How many yards and TD's would Goff have to pass for to be considered better than Warner? Or is it impossible for Goff to pass Warner in some adjusted measurement? I could point to Roman Gabriel, whose numbers are so much less than Warner's.....but played in the era of anything goes, with Deacon Jones headslaps and worse. Gabriel was considered a great one at the time, and yet has no chance to enter the HOF because his numbers don't compare with Warner's or today's QB's.Only way he gets in, is as an old timer...

Nope, it wouldn’t cheapen it one bit for me. :)

But to your other points, I agree with you. That it’s really hard to measure players from different environments. Doesn’t mean I don’t love or respect Goff. He’s doing quite well, especially in comparison to his contemporaries of today.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Imagine what Goff will be in a couple of years. He's only getting started.

That pass to Everett was just perfect. In crunch time.

With every passing year Goff will know more about what defenses are doing and with his accuracy, will be hard to stop.