Goff 2018 vs Stafford 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Goff for sure. He did have a better supporting cast, IMO, because you cannot underestimate how much a prime Gurley impacted opposing defences. Gurley was MVP calibre. And among the best RBs of the decade at his peak. But the 2018 version of Goff had quite a nice deep ball, so Stafford's explosive element isn't as stark an advantage vs. 2018 Goff. What is the deciding factor for me is that Goff, regardless of the season, never missed anything close to as many wide open WRs as Stafford does in the short to mid-range.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
They can both single handedly lose games, Stafford can also win them.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not dissing Stafford here, but I can't wait for him to have a game or two like Minnesota and KC 2018. I believe he will. Maybe it's today?

JYB

Starter
Jared Goff in 2018 (16 games): 4688 yds, 101.1 QBR, 32-12 TD-INT. Team 13-3 2nd seed
Matt Stafford 2021 (16 games): 4648 yds, 103.5 QBR, 38-15 TD-INT. Team 12-4 2nd seed

It is surprising to recall just how good Goff looked in 2018, and his numbers are not far off Stafford's. Even in 2019 Goff passed for 4638 (although his other numbers fell off). I am not attempting to start a war. I love Stafford and I loved Goff, and still hope he does well with the Lions. I believe Stafford is an upgrade over Goff. Perhaps the similarity in numbers indicates we will be back in the SB. Go Stafford and go Rams.
Goff was terrific back then. We all thought we had a great franchise QB for the next decade. He was being lauded as the next great QB by the sports media. Problem is, he regressed badly after that year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shaky or not, I have to admit that Stafford is the superior player and gives this team the better chance to win the whole thing.
That said, the piece that gets left out of Goff's 2018 is how he brought the team back from 13-0 down in the NFC Championship game, on road in one of the tougher places to play, without Kupp and with Gurley being a liability. He was unstoppable in that game

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
If Goff played like he did in 2018 or improved he’d still be our QB.

So not sure what the point of the debate is. It’s Staff’s 2021 versus Goff’s 19-20.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Argue Golden Retriever GIF

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Shaky or not, I have to admit that Stafford is the superior player and gives this team the better chance to win the whole thing.
That said, the piece that gets left out of Goff's 2018 is how he brought the team back from 13-0 down in the NFC Championship game, on road in one of the tougher places to play, without Kupp and with Gurley being a liability. He was unstoppable in that game
Truth!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I expected significantly fewer turnovers from Stafford. That's my only concern/disappointment.

Goff was great in 18, not so much after.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And yet he won a road playoff game last yr with a bad hand and was with in one score of GB in GB with 7 min to play. Hopefully we exceed that this yr.
He threw for a whopping 174 yards in that game. :laugh4: He had 6.4 yards per attempt with 4 sacks. Granted sacks are also an Oline problem but Goff’s lack of feeling the pass rush is well documented.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Couldn’t have been much happier with Goof his earlier years, except for the SB.

Could have been happier they got rid of him after last year.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
We saw how brilliant Goff was vs the Vikings, Chiefs, and Aints that year which match or better any of Staffords' games with us. But that SB was pretty ugly. Stafford has a chance to prove McVay right in these next games. Though like many here I really just want to keep winning rather than have god-like stats out of him.

Tano

Legend
He threw for a whopping 174 yards in that game. :laugh4: He had 6.4 yards per attempt with 4 sacks. Granted sacks are also an Oline problem but Goff’s lack of feeling the pass rush is well documented.
Just going to make one comment in this thread. I am trying to stay away from this but can't help myself on this one

I have always stated that Goff could not avoid the inside rush for the life of him.

And all 4 sacks were either 2nd & 7 (twice) 3rd and 10 and 4th and 13 (last play of game)

All 4 sacks were caused by either Blythe or Evans ole their blocks (they were really bad missed blocks - I think Goff had 1 sec to pass on each one of them). And I am out.