Gerald Everett ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't get the man crush over this guy. Just because someone is picked in the 2nd round, does not make them a good player.

8BB25A7E-88D7-4BDC-81C3-83EB9AC9040E.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend
I've long felt that Higbee would take that leading role, but Everett is an interesting case. His speed and athletic ability are definitely there, but as others have pointed out he hasn't seem to really put it together. That being said, his first three years have been significantly more productive than Higbee's first three years, so he could potentially be a big weapon for us next year. TE's usually take a little longer to develop.

There's a lot of potential for different guys to make teams hurt on Sunday.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't get the man crush over this guy. Just because someone is picked in the 2nd round, does not make them a good player.

Well , your right he has not lived up to his billing of being a 2nd rd pick. Traded back for him is what made his draft pick of excellent value.
Truly Kittles is better than any of The Rams TE’s

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've long felt that Higbee would take that leading role, but Everett is an interesting case. His speed and athletic ability are definitely there, but as others have pointed out he hasn't seem to really put it together. That being said, his first three years have been significantly more productive than Higbee's first three years, so he could potentially be a big weapon for us next year. TE's usually take a little longer to develop.

There's a lot of potential for different guys to make teams hurt on Sunday.

—I think Phillips has a plan on how to use both TE’s . The Rams OC from last season has a hand there, along with Mcvay.
The reason for the post is I believe The Rams TE group will be
Top 5 NFL production from the rest of league. Do The Rams keep 4 TE’s ??

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It was seen by DCs that when Everett was in, he was a target and the pattern recognition made it easier for defenses to adjust whereas with Higbee, there wasn’t such a pattern.

McVay has to be better about not being so predictable with Everett.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It was seen by DCs that when Everett was in, he was a target and the pattern recognition made it easier for defenses to adjust whereas with Higbee, there wasn’t such a pattern.

McVay has to be better about not being so predictable with Everett.

I think Mcvay understands that. I think O’Connell will only make Sean Mcvay better. The Rams offense should really improve in 2020. There really isn’t a glaring weakness. We can day The Offensive Line,but the depth and competition is there. Especially at every spot. -2nd string Qb is a Huge drop off, but that is the way The NFL
structure.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Everett is under considerable pressure to really have a ‘statement’ year, isn’t he?

Anything short of that and he’s no longer a Ram. And a statement year is necessary if he wants his big 2nd contract with another team.

TE’s are notoriously slow to develop in the NFL, but even so Everett has been somewhat of a disappointment. I’m mentally prepared to see him walk. Sigh...

KJD_Ram

Rookie
using two TE's shouldn't be anything new to McVay...he was on the staff with the Redskins when Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis were a formidable duo...of course that may have been due to the fact that they were light on WR talent...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea I feel that if they did, then Hopkins wouldn't be a Ram. We know that Higbee is our guy...we certainly don't need three guys....we need two.
No the way I see the rams offense going forward is the use of multiple TE formations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried all for TEs on the roster

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No the way I see the rams offense going forward is the use of multiple TE formations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried all for TEs on the roster

After last year. I think all extra positions will be on O Line and Secondary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After losing 4/5ths of your 2019 teams starting OL after playing 9 games. You would also have to consider the poor & weak performances that all four of those injured OL'ers when they went down to injury...........should cause some serious considerations to rethink the standard Rams Snead/McVay {2017/2018/2019} dressing of two OL reserves & going with only 8 OL'ers normally on the master 53 player rosters.

Fact is from the moment that both Allen & Havenstein went down in gm 9 & not to play again, Rams sustained 4 loses in the next 7 weeks to Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys & 49ers that removed them from 2019 playoff contention.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This isn't the first thread about this dude. And I've said it before....The guy just isn't that good. Being gifted physically doesn't mean a thing if you can't get it right mentally. And I don't know if that's why...but something isn't clicking.

I've always thought Higbee was going to be our guy eventually and he's done that...finally. But, I've never shared that feeling for Everett. I think Hopkins will solidify this being his last season with us....assuming he isn't traded this season.

The answer to our 2 TE threat is Higbee and Hopkins in my opinion.

That said...I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he comes out playing like Kelce.
Agreed. Talent doesn't mean a fucking thing if you don't develop to the point where you're utilizing it snap to snap and making a difference. Everett has the ability, but all this nonsense about McVay not utilizing him is a misdirection of the truth, namely that Everett hasn't stepped up enough yet.

People just forget that football is about beating the guy opposite you. It really is and that isn't going to change. The players matter and fans have a way of focusing only on play calls and coaching and QB play but that is a simplification of the truth. Everett isn't some victim that McVay has wronged, he's a guy who still needs to put it all together in order to live up to his talent level.

Looking at last year's film there are a ton of things to critique, but he's already been surpassed by Mundt in blocking as the TE2. Which, btw, is not something to overlook in fact it means something with a 2020 offense that is looking to re-establish balance with a return to a strong ground game. He is not particularly good in the pattern either, the guy still looks like a big RB in his routes moreso than a TE with 3 years under his belt. My hope for him from day one was that he'd develop into a great "option route" runner but that has not happened and it may be that he doesn't have the instincts for that.

Hopkins won't be a real threat for us this year though. I think he's a year 2 guy at the earliest, barring him showing an ability to option route his way to more playing time. Why is that so important? Because option routes are zone killers. And zone is what gives our offense the most probs in the passing game, or did last year due to the poor QB protections.

And for those who aren't aware, option routes are basically running up on the defender's feet and forcing them to commit to flipping their hips one way (doesn't matter which way or technique they choose) and once that happens they cut the other direction. We ran the hell out of that with our TEs in high school when I played, and it's been a part of NFL schemes for a long time. Here's a good article that I have posted before that gives a bit more information on them, and how they're used to expose technique for the break.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Everett is under considerable pressure to really have a ‘statement’ year, isn’t he?

Anything short of that and he’s no longer a Ram. And a statement year is necessary if he wants his big 2nd contract with another team.

TE’s are notoriously slow to develop in the NFL, but even so Everett has been somewhat of a disappointment. I’m mentally prepared to see him walk. Sigh...

Agree - I think That is why Hopkins was a solid draft pick. He has the tools
to be what Everett has been. A solid #2 TE.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Johnny Mundt has been ascending each season.This Big guy from last seasons practice squad will be interesting case for special teams ?
I think The Rams have to much depth though,so it’s a numbers game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
After losing 4/5ths of your 2019 teams starting OL after playing 9 games. You would also have to consider the poor & weak performances that all four of those injured OL'ers when they went down to injury...........should cause some serious considerations to rethink the standard Rams Snead/McVay {2017/2018/2019} dressing of two OL reserves & going with only 8 OL'ers normally on the master 53 player rosters.

Fact is from the moment that both Allen & Havenstein went down in gm 9 & not to play again, Rams sustained 4 loses in the next 7 weeks to Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys & 49ers that removed them from 2019 playoff contention.

Look at those teams as well.The Steelers game was a joke because of all there injuries at the time.No offense at all.
Your talking about 3 of the BEST Defenses in the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I view Reynolds in the same sort of way. A Top 50 wr guy ?