Gerald Everett ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cameron DeSilva has 2 articles in April on him.I personally think he is due for a BREAKOUT 2020 & is being over looked by most Ram Fans.

2nd article

1st article

I really thinks he could bring a 3rd rd comp pick in 2022, and for $1.2 Million is a cheap cost for such a playmaker.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cameron DeSilva has 2 articles in April on him.I personally think he is due for a BREAKOUT 2020 & is being over looked by most Ram Fans.

2nd article

1st article

I really thinks he could bring a 3rd rd comp pick in 2022, and for $1.2 Million is a cheap cost for such a playmaker.
Yeah, we've heard this that last couple of offseasons. Higby was the one who broke out at the end of last season...

oldnotdead

Legend
The issue IMO isn't a matter or Everett's talent as much as McVay's scheme isn't TE friendly. His use of 11 personnel with the WRs being the primary targets on most plays limits their targets. Now add in the fact that both Higbee and Everett are rotating during the games it limits the opportunities for both. For example, the Y receiver, i.e. the slot receiver Kupp had 134 targets last year. Understand that both the TE and the Y receiver run the same route tree but the WR is generally earlier on Goff's reads. Last year the TEs had 149 targets combined.

Teams, where the TE is essentially the primary Y receiver, will feature them accordingly. A perfect example of that were the Chargers under Marty Schottenheimer who ran primarily a 21 personnel scheme. In that scheme, Antonio Gates was the primary Y receiver. KC with Kelce features him as a Y receiver as well. You can add in the Niners as well who play a 21 scheme often and Kittle is their primary Y receiver who had 136 and 107 targets in 2018 and 2019 respectively. So in essence given McVay's scheme, the TE is of secondary importance on most plays and given the drafting of Jefferson that isn't going to change much anytime soon.

IMO the Rams will make Everett an offer but they know they will likely be outbid for his services, which is why they drafted Hopkins.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everett is a fine player.
Like Higbee his blocking has come along nicely and he can make plays and can be a danger in the open field.
I think the Rams O is going to be less about star 1 gets these stats and star 2 gets these stats etc.
hopefully the Rams can remain unpredictable.
Being able to run out of a spread set and pass out of a two TE set.
Higbee and Everett could be the best TE tandem in the league....but not at the expense of taking downfield plays away from Woods and Kupp.
Week to week how matchups work vs defenders will go a long way to determining where the focus is.
One thing for sure both guys can be a lot more in the passing game than the typical 4 yard curl and 5 yard out TE routes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if mcvay was smart he would use the 12 personnel a lot more moving forward. higbee and everett have the makings of an elite pairing of tes.

remember when the cheats had gronk and gangster boy? they outscored the gsot over a 3 year period. you got that, they outscored the gsot. they hold the record for most points over a 3 year period.

this is what mcvay can do with higbee and everett. look at what he did with higbee alone in the last 5 games last season. everett can be better than that because once the ball is in his hands he can make shit happen. he played very well last season but an injury screwed up it up for him. at least the rams got to see what they've got in higbee.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
if mcvay was smart he would use the 12 personnel a lot more moving forward.

Are you suggesting McVay is dumb?

:cool: Ha!.. teasing...

Yeah; I think the Higbee/Everett combo is a bomb in plain sight.... Ready to go off!

I’ve made my affection for Everett as a receiver known. We saw Higbee blow up last year... Bits of Everett doing the same...

Look out!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, we've heard this that last couple of offseasons. Higby was the one who broke out at the end of last season...

Yeah okay !! Until you see how this guy works day in and day out you do realize how good he is.

Say what you want,but Mcvay used very very excited about working with Gerald Everett again. Plus he was Mcvay’s first hand picked select as a Ram. McSnead pulled off a doozy with John Johnson when Fans where calling for one of those 2 LA Charger lineman.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The issue IMO isn't a matter or Everett's talent as much as McVay's scheme isn't TE friendly. His use of 11 personnel with the WRs being the primary targets on most plays limits their targets. Now add in the fact that both Higbee and Everett are rotating during the games it limits the opportunities for both. For example, the Y receiver, i.e. the slot receiver Kupp had 134 targets last year. Understand that both the TE and the Y receiver run the same route tree but the WR is generally earlier on Goff's reads. Last year the TEs had 149 targets combined.

Teams, where the TE is essentially the primary Y receiver, will feature them accordingly. A perfect example of that were the Chargers under Marty Schottenheimer who ran primarily a 21 personnel scheme. In that scheme, Antonio Gates was the primary Y receiver. KC with Kelce features him as a Y receiver as well. You can add in the Niners as well who play a 21 scheme often and Kittle is their primary Y receiver who had 136 and 107 targets in 2018 and 2019 respectively. So in essence given McVay's scheme, the TE is of secondary importance on most plays and given the drafting of Jefferson that isn't going to change much anytime soon.

IMO the Rams will make Everett an offer but they know they will likely be outbid for his services, which is why they drafted Hopkins.

In the Seahag game At the Hags Everett missed a pass that really hurt & basically lost that game. -Yes the leg missed a game winning FG. Point being Everett was the key go to guy for Mcvay in that game down the stretch.

Higbee missed a catch against the 9ers at the end of the 3rd Qrt. Yes the Leg missed a key FG as well, but Mcvay in training camp last year was switching it up with Everett & Higbee a lot. Most of the big plays were coming from those 2 players.
Either way you want to see it,Mcvay
at will start adding more 2 TE’s sets.
Brycen Hopkins will have a season of becoming a NFL player with no expectations.
My prediction is Gerald Everett has a solid season putting extra ice on The Rams O” !! He still has a lot of Football left & will bring The Rams a nice Comp pick in 2022. Yeah - his cost was a 2nd rd pick. When drafted The Rams had a young promising TE in Tyler Higbee.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gerald Everett does fall prey to nagging injuries often from week to week. GE also has the great talent & skills to disappear. I do know I seen some unbelievable brilliant flashes in a few games from him from time to time. However over the last 3 years most of his time here GE just does not stir cause for excitement from me. I value consistent playing performances over what I have seen thus far from GE. But there is a chance to that McVay was a major contributor to this not so positive GE review of mine. :oops:

I see GE different from most here. I see a true multi positional high talented offensive player who can perform @ SL/ TE/ HB/ FB/ WR & even RB. I believe it is unwise playing him as your LOS TE. It reminds me of placing a serious restricting governor on the three carburetors feeding gas to a 1972 Kawasaki 750 motorcycle & expecting a great timed quarter mile.

Having been the Rams top 2017 draft selection now entering his 4th & last season under contract......just not that impressed overall with GE & the way McVay has decided to utilize him. Thus, I believe his 2020 season to be the same as he has been in 2017/ 2018 & 2019.On the positive side for GE..... I do expect him to be a true OUTSTANDING offensive weapon after this season playing elsewhere for another HC/OC in the NFL that will find a way to use his dynamic special skills & talents in a huge way.

I see the Rams draft selection of GE as a squandered investment!

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
While Everett hasn't had any major injuries he seems to get banged up here and there. That has not helped him to get valuable playing time. It's funny how when I look at Goff highlights Everett shows up with some big plays. He just hasn't gotten enough of them. I imagine his limited playing time is due to a combination of availability and McVay's preference for using 11P. Now, that Higbee had his breakout year it looks like Everett will again see limited playing time. Everett was McVay's first pick and looked to have great potential. He has made big plays for the Rams but, he will probably reach his full potential somewhere else. He will still make some big plays this year for the Rams but, will be playing behind Higbee.

oldnotdead

Legend
When the Rams lost Cooks to injury McVay could have run Everett out of the slot position instead of Reynolds. That would have made far more sense considering how much Reynolds struggled to separate. Everyone seems to think Josh played well, but the reality is quite different. Historically Josh's issue is separating and when he does he drops too many passes. In 2019 Josh's completion percentage wasn't even 49% of his targets. McVay could have run more 12 personnel or Everett out of the slot. But again it's a matter of play design and lack of prep by his passing coaches. So they kept running Josh out who simply showed himself to be a marginal player.

That is the reason drafting Jefferson was so important. It also means McVay isn't going to change his base scheme in his passing attack.
Will he play more 12 personnel? Perhaps but IMO it will be more run related and play-action off that look. I for one see Josh on the bubble this year, but he could be saved by the lack of an offseason for the rookies. Either way, if he stays he needs to really step up his game or he's gone for sure in 2021.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When the Rams lost Cooks to injury McVay could have run Everett out of the slot position instead of Reynolds. That would have made far more sense considering how much Reynolds struggled to separate. Everyone seems to think Josh played well, but the reality is quite different. Historically Josh's issue is separating and when he does he drops too many passes. In 2019 Josh's completion percentage wasn't even 49% of his targets. McVay could have run more 12 personnel or Everett out of the slot. But again it's a matter of play design and lack of prep by his passing coaches. So they kept running Josh out who simply showed himself to be a marginal player.

That is the reason drafting Jefferson was so important. It also means McVay isn't going to change his base scheme in his passing attack.
Will he play more 12 personnel? Perhaps but IMO it will be more run related and play-action off that look. I for one see Josh on the bubble this year, but he could be saved by the lack of an offseason for the rookies. Either way, if he stays he needs to really step up his game or he's gone for sure in 2021.

I beg to differ from your view point. I agree with a lot of your points,but not the reason for drafting Jefferson or Hopkins.
It was value picks from a depth standpoint. Both Reynolds & Everett become FA’s the cost to keep them will be to much against the salary cap.
This is about Competition & Developing players. Mcvay will start Reynolds & Everett over Hopkins & Jefferson. Maybe Jefferson being the exception because he was 1st rd quality. Copper Kupp will become a FA as well & The Rams were trying to lock Reynolds up before the draft.

I see your points of view & you come into with a lot of knowledge. I look at Johnny Mundt as an example of Mcvay using the TE position,plus Everett getting around 10 balls thrown to him against the Hags & Pittsburgh.
I know what I’ve seen in Training Camp & the Jet Sweep was McVays go to in 2017 & 2018. In 2019 he was big on Higbee & Everett. Higbee broke out,but PHILLIPS will BE a BIG part of having input.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This isn't the first thread about this dude. And I've said it before....The guy just isn't that good. Being gifted physically doesn't mean a thing if you can't get it right mentally. And I don't know if that's why...but something isn't clicking.

I've always thought Higbee was going to be our guy eventually and he's done that...finally. But, I've never shared that feeling for Everett. I think Hopkins will solidify this being his last season with us....assuming he isn't traded this season.

The answer to our 2 TE threat is Higbee and Hopkins in my opinion.

That said...I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he comes out playing like Kelce.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah, do the RAMS love Everett?

There doesn’t appear a particularly strong vibe/buzz or anything coming from coaches comments.

Yea I feel that if they did, then Hopkins wouldn't be a Ram. We know that Higbee is our guy...we certainly don't need three guys....we need two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At best it’s a Make or Break season for Everett.
And being its the last year of his deal, and with the drafting of Hopkins, the make opportunities will be lessened

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, do the RAMS love Everett? There doesn’t appear a particularly strong vibe/buzz or anything coming from coaches comments.
Your correct. I will add this random thought here......McVay has a half dozen TE's now under contract. No ideal what improvement he will get from his rookie TE Brycen Hopkins this season, but they sure do like him. They also like 3rd yr Johnny Mundt too. Mundt quietly gave a good performance in 2019 & could refine on that last season's work. Keep in mind the extra large target Kendall Blanton who has one TC/preseason & full season with the Rams under his belt he might figure out how to use his hands & catch a pass. Then there's ex Panther Ethan Wolf who is also a big target 6-6260 lbs but is considered more of an in line type. Wolf has travelled all over the NFL been with 5 teams.

Bottom line here if Gerald Everett does not come in TC & looks & performs like he wants to be a #1 TE ...he would be easy trade fodder for Snead who is drooling to find some additional draft selections for 2021 even 3rd day picks.

Ram65

Legend
There is the possibility with the salary cap staying flat next year that the Rams may have trouble resigning Kupp with the resigning of Ramsey. The Rams may be in a better position to rework Wood's deal with much lesser early cap hits compared to Kupp's cap hits. It's hard for any NFL team to have three top WRs on the roster at one time due to cap limits. McVay could move back to more two TE sets without the luxury of three top-level WRs. McVay could go with Woods, Jefferson and possibly keep Reynolds as there top three WRs. Then have Higbee, Everett, Hopkins and a blocking TE at the same price tag as Kupp would have cost including Reynold's new deal.

It may be a little far fetched but, the reality is resigning Kupp is a big question mark. There are no guarantees that Hopkins will become a solid blocker as Everett has become. Everett missed weeks 13-15 and had all his catches before week 13. He only had one target after he came back. He was on pace thru 11 games to have over a 600 yard season.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
��
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DLngR/GY/GCtch%Y/TgtRushYdsTD1DLngY/AY/GA/GTouchY/TchYScmRRTDFmbAV
GamesReceivingRushingTotal Yds
201723LAR162321624415.326691.015.350.0%7.6113011313.00.80.11715.1257213
201824LAR16050333209.7318402.120.066.0%6.421601128.01.00.1359.6336303
201925LAR81132603740811.0222332.831.461.7%6.8100000.00.00.13810.7408203
Career4541428697211.3746691.921.660.6%6.842902137.30.60.19011.11001719

Rams coach Sean McVay said he's "got to do a better job of utilizing [Gerald Everett's] skill set" this upcoming season.
“Really, really excited about what Gerald Everett’s going to do,” McVay said. "“I think Tyler Higbee did a phenomenal job, but I think Gerald Everett’s a guy that I’ve got to do a better job of utilizing his skill set because he’s a difference-maker. But he’s got to get the opportunities and I think that starts with some of the things I know I can do a better job of.” Everett was well on his way to breaking out in his age-25 season, surging out the gates for 37/408/2 and 11 yards per catch through Los Angeles' first nine games..(should be 11 games), but sustained a lingering knee injury in Week 11 and eventually took a backseat to Tyler Higbee's Gronk-like 43/522/2 across five December starts. The latter obviously shined in that stretch but Everett, a former second-round pick and the first selection of McVay's head coaching tenure, did open the year as the team's every-down receiving threat. Higbee remains a bet-on-talent top-eight option at his position this offseason whereas Everett slides in as a sneaky late-round dart with upside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's going to come down to money as it usually does. I have assumed that some team would overpay him based on his potential if not production but, there is a lot of uncertainty about the salary cap. The Rams could be facing a difficult time to resign Kupp. If the Rams resign Kupp then Woods would most likely be out after the 2021 season. Resigning Everett would be insurance should Higbee get injured and an alternative should the Rams be unable to resign Kupp.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I don't get the man crush over this guy. Just because someone is picked in the 2nd round, does not make them a good player.