Gerald Everett is a sleeping giant in Rams offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_11701276.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 1 hour ago

When Sean McVay took over the Rams in 2017, the team was without a first-round pick. The first pick of the McVay era would be 44th overall in the second round. They chose to select a high-upside tight end out of South Alabama.

Gerald Everett immediately drew comparisons to Washington’s Jordan Reed. Many assumed that McVay believed Everett could develop similarly to Reed, who McVay coached in Washington. Reed was recruited to the University of Florida as a dual-threat quarterback but quickly switched to tight end. He showed enough promise to be confident enough to leave after his junior season despite having under 1,000 career receiving yards. His risk did pay off, however, when Washington selected him in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Everett’s path to the NFL may have been even more unlikely. He didn’t play football until his senior year of high school. He attended community college for two years before joining UAB’s football program for the 2014 season. Everett had just 17 receptions for 292 yards in his one season at UAB before the university shut down their football program. He finished out his career at South Alabama, piling up nearly 1,300 yards and 12 touchdowns in his two years with the Jaguars.

Reed put up better numbers than Everett over their first two seasons in the NFL, but both guys were still viewed as high-upside guys who occasionally flashed why the team was so high on them. In Year 3, Reed finally burst onto the scene as one of the NFL’s best tight ends, hauling in 952 yards and 11 touchdowns in just 14 games and nine starts. Could Everett also be heading for a breakout season in Year 3 under McVay?

Last season, Everett was on the field for 34.55% of the team’s offensive snaps, the seventh-highest among Rams pass-catchers. He was targeted on just over 13% of these snaps. This was the highest percentage on the team. More than Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, and even Cooper Kupp.

Everett is clearly one of Goff’s favorite targets when he’s on the field. You can see it in both the numbers and the eye test. How many big receptions do you remember Everett hauling in last year? He was responsible for the game-winning touchdown against Kansas City and grabbed a massive 39-yard reception late in the NFC championship. Everett doesn’t need to earn Goff’s trust to break out. He already has it.

The biggest obstacle for Everett to overcome is his low snap count. Tyler Higbee dominated the overall snap-share last year and he remains the Rams starting tight end. But if you dig into the numbers, the tide did start to shift near the end of the season. Everett out-snapped Higbee in five of the team’s last seven games, including the playoff run. He was on the field for 68% of the team’s snaps in both the NFC championship and the Super Bowl.

Everett needs to continue to develop as a run blocker to overtake Higbee full-time and dominate the snap-share at tight end. He’s already viewed as the far superior pass catcher, and the numbers show it. He just isn’t the trusted run blocker that Higbee is.

Everett stepping into a larger role doesn’t mean he’s going to eat targets like he’s at a Chinese buffet and become a dominant fantasy option. But if he can take the next step and become a dual-threat tight end who’s a dangerous downfield pass-catcher, he would add yet another dynamic to the Rams offense. Defenses are already accounting for the reigning NFL Offensive Player of the Year and three guys who could be the WR1 on other teams in the league. How many teams have five must-defend passing targets on the field together?

An Everett breakout season most likely wouldn’t look like the 11-touchdown season Reed had in 2015. But it would take the Rams passing game to another level, which doesn’t even feel plausible after last season. Both Everett and Reed were project players who were tutored by McVay. His experiment with Jordan Reed panned out. Will it with Gerald Everett? It certainly feels possible.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/gerald-everett-is-a-sleeping-giant-in-rams-offense/

oldnotdead

Legend
What I like about Everett so far is his consistent growth each year. I think last year was basically his coming out party. He showcased exactly how good he can be. He's a mismatch on most LB's as they don't have his speed. Those that do are generally a physical mismatch. Most teams will have to put their SS on him and that leaves them with only a 6 man box against the run game when the Rams are in 11 personnel. Unlike with Higbee, Everett is a legitimate passing threat the defense needs to account for. With a 3 headed monster with their starting WR's, by adding in Everett to the mix most teams will have to play zone. The three WR's will shred the zones, and it will make Goff's reads easier.

Now with their 3 RB's this offense will be very hard to stop. Everett's emergence as a legitimate offensive threat is the natural evolution of McVay's offense. It's also continued validation of Les Snead as an elite GM who has an eye for talent.

As a Rams fan, there is just so much to love and be enthused about as this team continues to simply trend upwards.

HellRam

Starter
Big Everett fan here! I thought last year he was going to breakout more then he did. Considering he only played like 33% of the offensive snaps. His production was pretty good. Theoretically if you double his snap count and yards he's already a 600 to 700 yards in a season TE.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hope this is his year. (y)

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
That's one thing that has surprised me about McVay--TEs were a such a prominent aspect of his game in Washington. My theory is when he figured out what great hands Gurley has, Gurley kind of took over that "Jordan Reed" role in our O. It seems like blocking subsequently plays a larger role in McVay's idea of TE functionality.

I'm sure there'll be some new wrinkles this year though, and maybe it involves more active TE receiving roles.

dang

Legend
At a minimum Everett should continue his production ascent putting him somewhere around 45 rec/450 yds/4 TDs. His ceiling could be higher but with 3 excellent WRs/2 excellent receiving RBs/sharing some of his time with Higbee there's only so many balls to go around.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
That's one thing that has surprised me about McVay--TEs were a such a prominent aspect of his game in Washington. My theory is when he figured out what great hands Gurley has, Gurley kind of took over that "Jordan Reed" role in our O. It seems like blocking subsequently plays a larger role in McVay's idea of TE functionality.

I'm sure there'll be some new wrinkles this year though, and maybe it involves more active TE receiving roles.

He never had the receiving core in Washington that we have here.

Nor the QB that could make all the throws like Jared.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams offense has been 1 & 2 in scoring the last two season without a big contribution from the TE's in the receiving department. McVay has done what any good coach does, he has played to his strengths which is a 3 deep WR corps and Todd Gurley. Also Kupp has been so good in the slot with the 3 WR set that a significant TE contribution has not been needed. There are only so many balls to go around. I think Everett's touches will increase but not as much as some think because there are only so many balls to go around to the deep, diverse, and talented set of playmakers the Rams have. If the unfortunate happens and injuries strike the WR's then Everett's contribution will significantly increase so in essence he also provides extra depth to the WR spot.

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of talent to get the ball to in an O that at times is run centric.
Take what’s available and have the QB hit the open guy, not predetermining where it’s going.
I think his targets will be determined by the defense and match ups.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

For sure that is likely why he prioritizes Higbee's blocking.

I just would love to see some real time practiced variation, like 12 personnel, or you could even line up Everett in the slot when you want to rest Kupp, so you can motion him into the backfield, and give yourself a quick pre snap read.

Surely he's fast enough to motion into a fullback role who's eligible to catch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

True. But the Reed of 3 years ago would get plenty of snaps and opportunities in this current offense. Because he was good enough to warrant it. We'd see him being an early read in 3rd down and redzone situations, in addition to certain looks throughout games (basically any time Goff sees a LB on him). This game is about matchups. To get on the field you gotta provide that.

What I believe that "Rams have a better receiving corps" argument ignores is that Everett simply has taken longer to develop. And that happens. And he might be ready to be featured this season. But he bears some of that responsibility for lack of opportunity IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. But the Reed of 3 years ago would get plenty of snaps and opportunities in this current offense. Because he was good enough to warrant it. We'd see him being an early read in 3rd down and redzone situations, in addition to certain looks throughout games (basically any time Goff sees a LB on him). This game is about matchups. To get on the field you gotta provide that.

What I believe that "Rams have a better receiving corps" argument ignores is that Everett simply has taken longer to develop. And that happens. And he might be ready to be featured this season. But he bears some of that responsibility for lack of opportunity IMO.

Even the Reed of three years ago is a worse offensive option than Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Gurley - I doubt he gets more targets than what Everett and Higbee combined for.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even the Reed of three years ago is a worse offensive option than Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Gurley - I doubt he gets more targets than what Everett and Higbee combined for.
I disagree Frantik. He is a different offensive option. One that can get you better matchups depending on the defense.

This year IF we see Everett truly grow into what they hoped he was, he will get on the field for more snaps and the moment Goff sees a LB or a SS who they know can't cover on him, he'll be a top read and start making routine plays for us.

I know I'm mostly alone on this view and that's cool. But IMO opportunity on the Rams is driven by winning reps in practice and proving you can take it to the game. Everett has not done that yet. Hope this is his year.

Ram65

Legend
Last season, Everett was on the field for 34.55% of the team’s offensive snaps, the seventh-highest among Rams pass-catchers. He was targeted on just over 13% of these snaps. This was the highest percentage on the team. More than Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, and even Cooper Kupp.

What were the percentages of the others? The big three WRs also played lots of snaps. Everett may have come in on third downs more when they needed more yards.

Everett is clearly one of Goff’s favorite targets when he’s on the field. You can see it in both the numbers and the eye test. How many big receptions do you remember Everett hauling in last year? He was responsible for the game-winning touchdown against Kansas City and grabbed a massive 39-yard reception late in the NFC championship. Everett doesn’t need to earn Goff’s trust to break out. He already has it.

I'm not sure how much Goff favored Everett was over the others. Everett seems like the last resort a lot of times which makes the completion more difficult.

It is a difficult situation to get Everett good targets when McVay has three top-level WRs. Everett takes some blame as he needs to make sharper route cuts and use be more physical with his size advantage. Everett also got hurt early last year which set him back. Reports are he is having a great camp this year.

Everett would seem to be a good red-zone target with his size. He has a very good run after catch ability which can be used on designed pass patterns. I thought last year he may not have big receiving numbers but, would make big plays. He made some big plays but, he should be able to make more. It's up to McVay, Goff, and Everett to make it happen.

RamWoodie

Legend
We can talk about this forever folks...but this is on McVay. I still say The Rams lost the Super Bowl because McVay forgot the TEs.

It's obvious Everett is as "clear and present danger"...but he ain't if you don't use him!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree Frantik. He is a different offensive option. One that can get you better matchups depending on the defense.

This year IF we see Everett truly grow into what they hoped he was, he will get on the field for more snaps and the moment Goff sees a LB or a SS who they know can't cover on him, he'll be a top read and start making routine plays for us.

I know I'm mostly alone on this view and that's cool. But IMO opportunity on the Rams is driven by winning reps in practice and proving you can take it to the game. Everett has not done that yet. Hope this is his year.

Respect your opinion, but who do you think he is a better option than?

I view Cooks and Woods as fringe WR1s, and Kupp as a full blown WR1, with Gurley as the top receiving back in the NFL. I would only rank Kelce, Kittle and possibly Ertz as on that level as receiving options, and I don't think Reed was on that level.