Gerald Everett hopes to grow into an impact player in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everett had flashes of promise in 2017. He’ll look to be a more consistent piece of the Rams offense next season.
https://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2018/1/16/16893440/fantasy-football-rookies-gerald-everett-2018

Tight ends usually struggle in their rookie seasons. That was definitely the case for Los Angeles Rams rookie tight end Gerald Everett.Everett started off the year with a bang: He caught all four of his targets for 134 yards the first two games of the season. Things completely changed in Week 3, however. The second-round pick failed to receive a target in the win over the San Francisco 49ers, and Everett never rebounded after that game — he only had 50 yards in one other game his rookie year.

Everett finished the season with 16 catches on 32 targets for 244 yards and two touchdowns. He also had one rush last season for 13 yards. For the most part, Everett took a backseat to fellow TE Tyler Higbee in 2017, but he did edge out Higbee by one touchdown.

Looking ahead to 2018

Everett will have to fight to get looks in a crowded Rams receiving corps next season. The 44th overall pick was barely noticed by quarterback Jared Goff this season, so it could be hard for Everett to get out of the shadow of Higbee again in 2018. Higbee had 13 more targets and nine more receptions than the firs- year big man last season. Everett has to build a lot more chemistry with Goff in the offseason if he plans to get better in his sophomore year.

Everett will not be a popular pick in 2018. He burned a lot of owners last season, but he still has a lot of promise. The Rams’ passing game is likely to improve next season as everyone gets more comfortable with their roles. Everett was edged out by Higbee, but not by much — he will be a waiver wire player to watch in 2018.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everett will not be a popular pick in 2018. He burned a lot of owners last season, but he still has a lot of promise.

That makes me laugh, that there are fantasy owners expecting a rook TE to produce. I mean it makes sense to see that he might explode in McVay's offense if he's a quick study, but the history is brutal on those guys in year one so one would think they'd know better lol.

Like many here I'm still really high on him due to the fact it seems like he's a hard working kid from all reports, and his RAC and hands seem to fit this offense so well. Not to mention he's got all-world coaching here. So got my fingers crossed, and if he does live up to expectations then that will certainly put the 2017 draft over the top. (y)

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He will figure it out , he has all of the natural skills to succeed

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I would like to see him as a secondary option on screens. Teams will play us much tighter after the year Gurley had running screens and having Everett being a "2nd" guy for double screens would be really hard to beat. He is much more an athlete than Higbee is.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is the greatest thing to happen to this franchise in a very long time, that said I am a bit puzzled at how the TE's were not very effective this season given McVay's pedigree. I get that TE take a little while to develop, but 16 catches in 16 games is pretty disappointing. Higbee's 25 rec, not much better

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Everett is one more reason that big $$ for Watkins may not be happening.

I expect to Everett to be a big red zone target next year

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is the greatest thing to happen to this franchise in a very long time, that said I am a bit puzzled at how the TE's were not very effective this season given McVay's pedigree. I get that TE take a little while to develop, but 16 catches in 16 games is pretty disappointing. Higbee's 25 rec, not much better

I think a lot of that was Higs settling into the mediocrity he showed all season. He improved a great deal in his blocking, but the hands did not improve much from the camp where so many reports discussed what continued through the season.

He still could develop of course, as TEs you do see guys start to hit their top stride in year 3. But that along with the fact that I am certain McVay is irritated by the TE performance at large makes me think the Rams at least pursue the FA options. Then if Everett does step it up, you could have a 12 personnel package with two mismatches in the passing game and that can be more useful in the playoffs and vs the tough defenses than many realize.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have thought about that as well @dieterbrock. I do not know much about it, but I think the lack of TE effectiveness this year was due to two things or both. During the instillation of the offense, our TEs either didn't catch on as quickly as they should have or McVay went with the hotter play calling with the Wrs and waited on the TEs to develop.

It seemed to me that McVay relied on tight end recievers more heavily during his time at the Skins.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think a lot of that was Higs settling into the mediocrity he showed all season. He improved a great deal in his blocking, but the hands did not improve much from the camp where so many reports discussed what continued through the season.

He still could develop of course, as TEs you do see guys start to hit their top stride in year 3. But that along with the fact that I am certain McVay is irritated by the TE performance at large makes me think the Rams at least pursue the FA options. Then if Everett does step it up, you could have a 12 personnel package with two mismatches in the passing game and that can be more useful in the playoffs and vs the tough defenses than many realize.

Let's not forget about Hemingway. He could be another solid option for McVay to play with at tight end. Very athletic, smooth route runner, and can catch the ball. With Higbee and Everett having another year of development, along with Hemingway, we could have a three-headed hydra at tight end.

My concern is actually backup running back. I don't trust Brown as a runner and receiver nearly as much as I did Cunningham, Davis can't block, and Dunbar and Tavon are likely gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He will figure it out , he has all of the natural skills to succeed

Agree. I love Everett’s potential and would be my guess as a big surprise for 2018.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so too . They soon need a dependable TE for the tough catches . It's been forever.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Everett is one more reason that big $$ for Watkins may not be happening.

I expect to Everett to be a big red zone target next year

Don't see this at all. Everett may be a major red zone threat and all but we still need Sammy's speed and play making ability to stretch the defense and allow players like Woods, Kupp, and Everett to work the underneath stuff.
We simply can't forget how the enemy's defensed us with 8 or even 9 in the box against the Fisher style offense because we couldn't take the top off and threaten deep.
Lotsa fans forgetting it's not just the amount of bombs Watkins catches but it is the fact that he is a dangerous threat to do so at anytime that makes defense coordinators stay up late at night game planning to prevent just that.

Our best offense next year will include a healthy, productive and VERY dangerous Sammy Watkins.

~ArkyRamsFan~

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Don't see this at all. Everett may be a major red zone threat and all but we still need Sammy's speed and play making ability to stretch the defense and allow players like Woods, Kupp, and Everett to work the underneath stuff.
We simply can't forget how the enemy's defensed us with 8 or even 9 in the box against the Fisher style offense because we couldn't take the top off and threaten deep.
Lotsa fans forgetting it's not just the amount of bombs Watkins catches but it is the fact that he is a dangerous threat to do so at anytime that makes defense coordinators stay up late at night game planning to prevent just that.

Our best offense next year will include a healthy, productive and VERY dangerous Sammy Watkins.

~ArkyRamsFan~

I think that Sammy will be back. However I can't see the Rams placing the franchise tag on him. It is too much money.
If the can get Sammy for around 9-10M/year, he will a Ram in 2018 if not, IMO the Rams will decide that they have enough receiving threats and options.
Everett will not be the one stretching the field, that will most likely fall more on Woods and Reynolds.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

This was one of my surprises of the year offensively too - especially as you mention with McVay's pedigree in this field, maybe there's only so much you can fix in one go? The receiving corps as a whole were vastly improved, but I guess our TE play was disappointing and sometimes didn't figure at all in a receiving role in games. Everett is an athletic looking runner and the catches he made definitely had impact.

I'm very interested to see what happens to our receiving corps this coming offseason...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really like Everett, and his skill set. One thing that I noticed, or felt, was that Gerald needs to get a little tougher. He is a big, strong guy, but it seemed to me, like he had never been hit so hard, or played so fast. If he makes that adjustment, the future is bright for him. He had some real good games blocking, so he, and Higbee, showed great gains there. There is no reason to think he's regress there.

He is an above average athlete, at his size and girth. He will only get stronger, and tougher, IMO.

We all thought that TE's would be huge in this offense, but now, it seems as if, McVay will play to our strengths, no matter what. So, if Everett improves as a receiver, blocker, etc.....he WILL get more looks, and a stronger, tougher Everett shows himself next season, that he will get ample opportunities. One thing that I know he needs to improve on, is to be able to catch a fastball. The ball gets on him faster than he has ever had to deal with. I really think he will improve here, because I don't think he has bad hands, it really looks like an adjustment to me.

Based on how we played him this year, could shed a little light into his future. I could see him getting a lot of looks in the red-zone, as a fullback, slot, TE, split wide...he can be a real weapon for us. I think his future, with us, is bright.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I see the Rams releasing Tavon Austin and Gerald Everett playing the role for the Jet sweep being a former running back perfect fit for that role and although he had a rough patch against the 49ers, he has the skill set perfectly suited for McVay's offense. Coach Shane Waldron will have to work with Gerald, but increased strength and a new role, IMO, will lead to confidence, which hopefully carry over to more wheel routes and passed down the seam.

fearsomefour

Legend
Let's not forget about Hemingway. He could be another solid option for McVay to play with at tight end. Very athletic, smooth route runner, and can catch the ball. With Higbee and Everett having another year of development, along with Hemingway, we could have a three-headed hydra at tight end.

My concern is actually backup running back. I don't trust Brown as a runner and receiver nearly as much as I did Cunningham, Davis can't block, and Dunbar and Tavon are likely gone.
Not worried about back up RB at all.
The drop off from Gurley to any backup RB will be large. But finding a solid back up RB is relatively easily compared to other positions.
Cunningham was solid. Brown is solid. Cunningham was a depth RB....nothing that special. Brown is solid.