GDT: Texans at Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

AFC Divisional Playoff: Houston Texans vs. Kansas City Chiefs

It's Round Two between the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans, although there is a little bit more on the line this time as the two teams play for the chance to advance to the AFC Championship game.

Back on Oct. 13, Houston went into Arrowhead Stadium and beat the Chiefs 31-24 behind the arm of Deshaun Watson, who threw for 280 yards and a touchdown. Patrick Mahomes had the better statistical game with three touchdown passes and a slight edge in yards per attempt (7.8 vs. 6.7), but Kansas City's defense couldn't get the stop when it mattered.

Houston showed more of that offensive potential last week when the Texans spotted the Bills a 16-0 lead before they roared back for the 22-19 overtime victory. Watson had just five incompletions, and DeAndre Hopkins got busy in the second half when they needed him. Also of importance was the return of J.J. Watt who had one tackle and one sack. This team went 5-3 on the road this season, including that Week 6 win over the Chiefs.

The Chiefs closed the regular season with a flourish on a six-game winning streak, five of which came after a later bye week. As expected, the offense has been putting up good numbers, but it's the defense that has done a lot of the heavy lifting. We'll get into this later, as I'm not the biggest believer in the resurgence, but they've held their last five opponents to just 52 points combined.

AFC Divisional Playoff: Houston at Kansas City

Kickoff: Sunday, Jan. 12 at 3:05 p.m. ET
TV: CBS
Spread: Kansas City -10

Three Things to Watch

1. Intangibles

For those who are familiar with my articles, this is the place where I talk about aspects related to scheduling — potential trap games, how often teams have been traveling lately, etc. It's the postseason, but there are still some things to consider. It'll be Kansas City's fourth home contest over their last six, and the last time they came off a bye week, the Chiefs put up 40 points on the Raiders. It's widely known how well Andy Reid teams play after a week off. On the other side, it's the Texans' third road game over their last five. I'm not that concerned about the scheduling spot considering they'll have a normal week to prepare for this one.

2. Is Kansas City's defense for real?

As mentioned above, the Chiefs' defense has been putting up some good numbers. They rank in the top 10 in scoring defense (7th), passing defense (8th), and turnovers (10th). What I'm focused on, though, are the opponents that they beat recently. The Raiders, Patriots, Broncos, Bears, and Chargers don't have elite offenses, so it's not surprising to see some sort of success by the D. Now, I'm not completely running down the unit because the late addition of Terrell Suggs has paid off already. The former Raven has three tackles and a sack in two games for Kansas City, and he is a nice addition to the unit with Chris Jones and Frank Clark accounting for 17 sacks. I'll be interested to see how they perform against the Texans who are no slouch on offense.

3. Will Fuller Play?

The Houston offense is just so much better when Will Fuller V is on the field. It's harder to double up DeAndre Hopkins when there's another weapon on the field, and the Texans only squeaked by the Bills last week with Fuller sidelined due to a groin injury. Injuries have prevented Fuller, Hopkins, and Kenny Stills from consistently practicing together during the week, which makes building chemistry with Deshaun Watson harder. Fuller is averaging 13.7 yards per catch with three touchdowns this season, but that is only in 11 contests. Kansas City's secondary can be exploited, but watch Fuller's status to see if he can make a difference on Sunday.

Final Analysis

Vegas has Houston as a double-digit underdog in this one, and you can see why. Kansas City's hot and well-rested after the week off. The Texans needed every little bit of effort to beat the Bills last week in overtime. There's also the albatross of having to overcome Bill O'Brien as head coach. Still, I think this one is a bit closer then people expect. Patrick Mahomes will certainly put up points on a beatable Houston secondary, but I think Watson will be able to get his as well. Give me the home team in a closer than expected game.

Prediction: Chiefs 33, Texans 31

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2019 NFL – Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs Preview & Pick

THE FACTS

When is Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs taking place?
Sunday 12thJanuary, 2020 – 20:05 (UK)

Where is Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs taking place? Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City

What is the expected weather for Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs? 4c in partly cloudy skies

What television channel is Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs on? Sky Sports will be showing live NFL games during the season so it is worth checking their schedule

Where can I stream Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs? Subscribers to NFL GAMEPASS can stream matches live on their platform

Where can I get tickets for Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs? Check Ticketmaster for ticket information on selected games

What was the outcome in the last meeting? Houston Texans 31-24 Kansas City Chiefs

THE TEAM NEWS

HOUSTON TEXANS

• Houston overcame Buffalo in a thrilling wildcard contest as they fought back from 16-0 down in the third quarter to force overtime and were able to edge the victory thanks to a field goal on their second possession.
  • Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson pulled off some miraculous plays including riding two tackles to find Taiwan Jones on the all-important play that set-up the game-winning field goal in overtime.
  • Wide receiver Will Fuller is progressing well from his groin injury and is likely to come into contention for this one while defensive end J.J. Watt is set to receive more playing time after making his return from injury last week and he will hope to add to the sack he collected against the Bills.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
  • Kansas City’s win over Los Angeles Chargers coupled with New England’s failure to beat Miami in Week 17 meant that the Chiefs ended the regular season as the #2 seed in the AFC and will come into this contest refreshed after enjoying a bye last week.
  • The Chiefs lost safety Juan Thornhill for the season after he suffered an ACL injury in the final game of the regular season and they have suffered more bad news with cornerback Morris Claiborne ruled out for his fifth straight game with a shoulder injury.
  • The bye week has allowed the Chiefs to get some of their players back to full fitness but they could have been hit by a huge setback as star defensive tackle Chris Jones is questionable after he was added to the injury report late in the week with a calf problem.
THE PREDICTION

Houston had to show some character on a couple of occasions last week as they overcame a 16-point deficit to beat Buffalo. The class of quarterback Deshaun Watson was apparent as he guided his side to the win thanks to some brilliant individual efforts and he will be key again in a matchup against another young, gifted quarterback in Patrick Mahomes. However, the Chiefs possess the greater offensive weapons and that should see them come out on top.

Texans_at_Chiefs_H2H_Divisional.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In the words of the great Henry "Hank" Lewis Stram, "Just keep Matriculating the ball down the field fellas."
1578838684175.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Chiefs start on defense.

Q729

Legend
This one I don't have much hatred to draw from. Last year would be a different story. Let the chips fall...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don’t count the Chiefs out at home. It’s insanely early... this could help propel them if they can come back.