GDT - 49’ers at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Game Day Thread

The GDT is a live thread tradition here at ROD.

While we all get fired up watching the game, please remember our core principles;we always show respect for our team and each other.

Despite the emotional highs and lows watching a game, we will moderate this thread with that in mind, however please refrain from name calling. This applies to players, the Rams organization, and others.

This is the core rule of the GDT. Moderators are tasked to issue thread bans, at a minimum, to maintain this standard.

This is our team. Win or lose. Good days and bad. We are here for FUN, not to be dragged down.

A more loosely moderated atmosphere can be found in the chat room.

Go Rams!

———

ROD Chat Room;

Game Day Room

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

San Francisco 49ers vs. Los Angeles Rams​

You almost couldn't have planned the final weekend of the season any more perfectly. We've got a pair of West Coast rivals meeting with a ton of playoff implications at SoFi Stadium in Hollywoodland. More specifically, the Rams (12-4) are playing for the division title and the chance to play at home in the playoffs and the 49ers (9-7) are playing for their postseason lives.

Just in case you haven't seen them already, here are the exact scenarios for each team going into this game:

The Rams will clinch the NFC West division title with a win or tie vs. San Francisco or if Arizona loses or ties against Seattle.
The 49ers, currently the No. 6 seed for the playoffs, can clinch their postseason spot with a win or a tie vs. the Rams or with a New Orleans loss or tie at Atlanta.
After an 0-3 month of November, the Rams come into this game riding a five-game winning streak, including last week's 20-19 come-from-behind victory at Baltimore. The Niners have won three of their last four and are 6-2 since their 3-5 start to the season. So this will be a showdown between two teams that are playing on an uptick.

San Francisco (9-7) at Los Angeles (12-4)

Kickoff: Sunday, Jan. 9 at 4:25 p.m. ET
TV: FOX
Spread: Rams -4.5

Three Things to Watch

1. Is the thumb up for Jimmy G.?

The dashingly handsome Jimmy Garoppolo suffered an injured thumb and torn ligament on his passing hand back on Dec. 23 against the Titans. He's sat since then but finally threw again this week during practice; however, it is still uncertain as to whether or not he will see the field. And even if he did play, how dynamic can he be? In the meantime, Trey Lance did an admirable job filling in last week, going 16-of-23 for 249 yards and two touchdowns in leading the 49ers to the win over the Houston Texans. And much like Baltimore backup Tyler Huntley did against the Rams, Lance has the ability to stretch the field both vertically and horizontally with his feet, giving the Niners a chance to do a few more things. He'll have more of the playbook to work with this week, and he'll need it against that Rams D.

2. The midseason acquisitions

The Rams have gotten a real boost from their trades for Odell Beckham Jr. and Von Miller. Against the Ravens last Sunday, OBJ caught five passes, including a pair of real clutch plays. One was the big catch on fourth-and-5 which kept their game-winning drive alive. The other was the game-winning touchdown on the very next play on a seven-yard pass to the pylon with 57 seconds left. Meanwhile, Mr. Miller made his presence felt last week, recording five tackles with two key sacks and another tackle for a loss in the win over the Ravens.

3. Will the Kupp runneth over?

The 49ers have a real quandary on their hands in the defensive backfield since Dontae Johnson, K'Waun Williams, and Jimmie Ward are all on the Reserve/COVID-19 list as of press time. Ward is the one who would be assigned to cover Cooper Kupp in the slot. If he can't play, it's going to be a tough chore to contain Kupp and Co. On Tuesday, the Niners added cornerback Darqueze Dennard to help plug holes in the dyke. But Dennard has spent time on the Cardinals, Colts, and Giants already this season, none of which has been in actual game action. Oh, on top of all that, Mr. Kupp has a chance to break two NFL single-season records; receptions (149, held by Michael Thomas, 2019) and receiving yards (1,964 yards, Calvin Johnson, 2012). He's also trying to become the first receiver since 2005 to win the "triple crown" as he also leads the NFL with 15 touchdown catches.

Final Analysis

The 49ers have won five straight in this rivalry, including a 31-10 blowout in Santa Clara back on Nov. 15. In that game, the Niners held onto the ball for 39 minutes, while Matthew Stafford averaged just 5.8 yards per attempt and also got sacked twice and intercepted twice. On top of that, the Rams had just 52 rushing yards. But now Sony Michel has come on strong with nearly 500 yards in the last eight games, averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Also, Cam Akers (torn Achilles) is set to make his season debut on Sunday, giving head coach Sean McVay another weapon to work with.

On top of all that, Stafford is playing this game to put him in completely uncharted territory. A win here results in the first-ever division title of his career. I say congrats Mr. Stafford, that's why you came to Tinseltown.

Prediction: Rams 27, 49ers 23

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Week 18 Preview: Playoff implications abound in Rams' Week 18 clash against San Francisco 49ers​

Sunday at SoFi Stadium, a win for Los Angeles clinches an NFC West crown.

A win would translate to the two-seed, meaning the only time the Rams would have to hit the road on their journey to Super Bowl LVI would be a potential NFC Championship Game at Lambeau Field.

So yes, the stakes matter. The implications are as consequential as almost any regular season contest could possibly be.

But in Week 18, a win would mean so much more than any of that.

Because this is personal. There is unfinished business with the 49ers. And quite frankly, this has gone on too long.

A triumph over their bitter rival could also freeze the 49ers out of the NFL postseason, if the New Orleans Saints were to beat the Atlanta Falcons.

So in this weekly column, typically we'd dig into Cooper Kupp's pursuit of the Triple Crown.

It would be worthwhile to break down the return of Cam Akers, and what a backfield tandem including Sony Michel might look like behind arguably the best offensive line in the NFL.

But we already understand the defense's need to solve for Deebo Samuel and George Kittle. If you're on this page in this moment, you don't need me to tell you the Rams have never beaten Jimmy Garoppolo, or that this could be their final chance to do so while he's wearing Red and Gold.

The truth of the matter is this: Between now and Sunday, less is more.

Record-chasing, history, matchups – they're as relevant as they've ever been.

But in the end, it all boils down to finding a way to get right against a rival. By any means necessary.

The playoffs can wait until next week.

Beating San Francisco… cannot.

3 Keys to Winning for the Rams against the 49ers in Week 18​

The Rams (12-4) close out the regular season hosting the 49ers (9-7) in Week 18, with both teams fighting for playoff positioning in the NFC. Kickoff from SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. is scheduled for 1:25 p.m. pacific time on FOX.

Ahead of the game, theRams.com examines 3 Keys to Winning for the Rams, powered by The Wallace Firm:

1) Have your homework done on 49ers QBs Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance

For understandable competitive reasons, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan has played it close to the vest all week when discussing who will be under center between Garoppolo and Lance. Garoppolo is dealing with a thumb injury and was a limited participant in practice all week; Lance started in place of Garoppolo against the Texans last week due to that injury.

As mentioned in First Look, the offensive approach will likely look very different based on who starts, given the gameplan deployed by the 49ers with Garoppolo in the first meeting between the two teams and the vertical element Lance displayed last week. For the Rams, it's crucial to be as prepared as possible for both players so that there are no surprises, regardless of who leads the 49ers offense.

2) Stop the run

While the 49ers averaged only 3.9 yards per carry against the Rams in Week 10, in came via 44 carries for 156 yards from their backfield collectively.

That effective ground attack helped win the time of possession and keep the Rams offense off the field while keeping the Rams defense on the field for extended periods of time. Keep that contained, and the chances of success increase for the Rams this weekend.

3) Limit explosive plays from TE George Kittle and WR Deebo Samuel

Both Kittle and Samuel are joker-esque players, in that the 49ers find numerous ways to maximize their abilities. Kittle lines up in-line and in the slot, Samuel at multiple spots and in the backfield as a running back; both players excel at making plays after the catch.

They also did the most damage through the air as Garoppolo's top two targets in Week 10.

If the Rams want to win the NFC West and keep hold of the No. 2 seed this weekend, they'll need to contain both players and limit their yards after catch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tenor.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

49ers don’t promote Nate Sudfeld; Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance only QBs for Sunday​

The 49ers promoted quarterback Nate Sudfeld from the practice squad last weekend to back up Trey Lance, but Saturday’s deadline to do that for Week 18 passed without them making a move involving a quarterback.

That leaves Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo as the two quarterbacks who will be available to play against the Rams. Garoppolo was listed as questionable on Friday due to the right thumb injury that kept him out last Sunday, so the lack of a Sudfeld move suggests he’s cleared to play this week.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said on Friday that he knows who the team will be starting, but that he didn’t want to share that information. Garoppolo being well enough to play could point to the answer to that question.

While Sudfeld isn’t joining the team, the 49ers did add five defensive backs to the roster for Sunday. Dontae Johnson, Jimmie Ward, and K'Waun Williams came off the COVID-19 reserve list, Emmanuel Moseley was activated from injured reserve, and Darqueze Dennard was elevated from the practice squad. The 49ers also promoted linebacker Mark Nzeocha.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I want to see Trey Lance. At first when seeing the article above I felt it was certain we will see Jimmy G start... But, if he’s healthy (and is/was their starter) why not just say that?

I don’t see the benefit being coy about it, unless he plans to play Lance (at least some).

For me it doesn’t change our strategy much. Stop the short passes and the run. Make them pass downfield to beat us.

Jimmy has a bad hand and Lance is a rookie. Our strategy doesn’t shift in that equation… Force the pass to beat us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jimmy G is starting. I’m sure both QB’s will play.They switched QB’s early in the season so it should not effect them any worse than it did to start the season.
Imo it hurt them & Kyle screwed Jimmy G early.I think it pays off now with him not being 100%.How ever it plays out The RAms defense has to be either way,just like teams had to do in the first part of the season when Lance was even more of a Unkown.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lance is a better QB than Love.Who knows how future QB’s will play,itythe playoffs. Still reports got it right & would hate to have seen Mac Jones along with 2 more 1st rd picks for the 9ers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can The Rams just beat the 9ers & win the WESt!!
Let’s Go SAINTS!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If The Rams & Saints both win it would be all Gravy after that for 2022 start of a New Year

oldnotdead

Legend
Although the Niners say Jimmy G will start, his injury will affect his throwing. It will affect the velocity and to some degree his accuracy. I would be surprised if he finished the game.

Morris must play tight coverage in the short and medium ranges. Until he demonstrates he can throw a deep pass with accuracy it's the short and medium ranges that Morris must aggressively defend. He must leave Ramsey on Samuel. Ramsey will have a speed and height advantage. Kittle is their next important receiver. He's 6'4" and runs a 4.5, and IMO they should do the same with him using Justin Hollins who is 6'5" and runs a 4.5 as well. Hollins has shown coverage ability.

Take away their two top receivers and then have the front 7 focus on stopping the run. This will allow Darious Williams to match up on Brandon Aiyuk. Williams is faster though a couple of inches shorter.

What I'm saying is that the Rams have the players to match up well with the Niners if Morris uses them properly. Both Floyd and Miller have been good at setting a strong edge in the run game. In the middle, they will have AD and Grizz along with Reeder and Howard both with good size and speed to backstop the A gaps and flow to the perimeters is needed. The Niners will likely try to run at the perimeters, though with a FB they also could run between the tackles. But I think they will try the perimeters when they run.

This is why I said the Rams will be their own worst enemy in this game. If they play clean, they will win this game by a comfortable margin. If Stafford takes what is given the Rams can march down the field early and score. If they can get a comfortable lead it will force the Niners to play the passing game which is something they don't really want to have to depend upon. They want to use the pass to set up the run. Because of that Morris simply can't go soft when the Rams get a lead. Force them to play the game one-dimensional. That's how you beat the Niners.

Also, the Rams can't go to sleep on Lance. He played well but he also showed why he isn't ready this year. His packages are mainly RPO which gives him a familiar scheme concept. When he's in the pocket he struggles to make good reads and tends to hold the ball or stare down his receiver. What he then does is break contain and rolls giving him a familiar one or two read pass option or he runs. So the game plan would be to keep him contained and wait for his mistake in his read. He's got a good arm with good accuracy. But he struggles with his progressions.

The more film I looked at the more I see how he hasn't gotten the mental part of the game yet. He's at least one maybe two years away from being the kind of QB the Niners want. Right now Perkins is better than Lance, another reason to hang on to Bryce. Frankly, right now I would trust Perkins as the backup QB more than Wolford. Wolford looked like a backup QB when he played this year.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD, I’m not saying to hurt Jimmy G. Or anything, but let’s see what pretty boy’s hand does when his hand hits your helmet while following through on a throw…And no, don’t wear that soft helmet like you did for Stafford in training camp!

And Floyd, time to Chanel your inner Deacon Jones today. Deacon didn’t like QB’s too much…lol.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate the Niners so much that I haven’t been able to watch the talking heads comment on this game, this week. It seems to be the trendy pick to choose the lesser team over the one who won 12 games and is the division leader, in LA.. We will get no respect unless the Rams win it all, and maybe not even then…

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
12:30am here. Monday morning.
Game kicks off at 6:35am for me.
Can't sleep, but try and get 6 hours in.

Beer with my cornflakes it is.
Bruce shirt out and ready.

See you boys in a few hours.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hate the Niners so much that I haven’t been able to watch the talking heads comment on this game, this week. It seems to be the trendy pick to choose the lesser team over the one who won 12 games and is the division leader, in LA.. We will get no respect unless the Rams win it all, and maybe not even then…
Yeah, I won't be watching any pregame today. Nothing new to say after a week of talk any way. In fact the early games have nothing I am inerested in either. Maybe yard work or something till Rams game time.