GDMT: What Is YOUR Favorite Part Of Thanksgiving Dinner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone make anything unique on Thanksgiving?

The turkey is the iconic food of Thanksgiving right? Heck, a lot of people call it "Turkey Day." But how many people will say turkey is their favorite part of the meal?

What Is YOUR Favorite Part Of Thanksgiving Dinner?

Turkey?
Potatoes?
Stuffing?
Green beans?
Pies?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When the whole plate is better than the sum of its parts, any decision to carve out a singular special dish is lost on me.
I love it all, it's a damn epic feast, and if any of the listed items are left out or not receiving a 5 star taste rating, I'll report you to the food police. Still, gravy & yams should also get an honorable mention as it's received no press here. In my home the Thanksgiving meal has been perfected for longer than I've been alive, the recipes for our own family brands of turkey stuffing, smashed potatoes along with the green bean casserole are as guarded as Fort Knox. There are lots of great pies out there, but in this home for Thanksgiving, the tradition is homemade pecan & pumpkin. Just discussing this meal has caused me to loosen my belt ...

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Stuffing and Pumpkin pie. Actually, a certain pumpkin cake pie is my favorite.

Lately, a certain un-named family member has been in charge of stuffing which has zero flavor.

So, the right stuffing and Pumpkin pie is my favorite - when done right.

Un-named person does make an amazing green bean dish with amazing fried onions and cream of mushroom in it I believe. So, not going to complain about unnamed person too much - especially on "Thanksgiving".

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My sister once made a sweet cornbread style stuffing… it was so good everyone asked her to bring the same dish next Thanksgiving.

Next year… She brought it back again but accidentally mixed up the amounts of salt and sugar. It turned out SALTY and bad. :D

The funny part of the story is the odd delay before anyone pointed out there was something wrong. :D

TexasRam

Legend
My sister once made a sweet cornbread style stuffing… it was so good everyone asked her to bring the same dish next Thanksgiving.

Next year… She brought it back again but accidentally mixed up the amounts of salt and sugar. It turned out SALTY and bad. :D

The funny part of the story is the odd delay before anyone pointed out there was something wrong. :D
haha yea no one wants to be the asshole on Thanksgiving lol.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Unique things we make:
Hatch Chile - Mrs Faulk has family from New Mexico, a red hatch chile sauce pairs well with turkey.

Stuffing with Sausage and Craisins

Sweet Potato Pie - We eat it as a side dish to the main course; it's a starch

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love it all. I love turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes...My mother in law and wife make cauliflower in a special cheese sauce that I could just eat as meal in itself. My Mom-in-law would make 2-3 pies...Pumpkin, Apple, and coconut cream pies normally. I really miss her, she was the glue that held the family together and now that's all gone now.

No traditional dinner for us today. It's too expensive and we have a problem with our stove, so it's Thanksgiving Pizza Time!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I fry 2 turkeys. One is enough for the Thanksgiving meal... but I want leftover turkey for a few days after. Fried turkey is the shit. I have an electric turkey frier... it takes away all the guess work and danger that comes along with frying it redneck style.

I love gravy too. The girls were actually making some of the gravy stuff last night.

Fried turkey with some of the crispy fried skin dipped into gravy and stuffed directly into my mouth. Hard to stop eating that.

Fatboy

Rookie
My favorite is the in the bird stuffing, it's the reason I always get the largest bird I can find ! -- the Fatboy

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
In times past my wife's parents hosted the feast, then our house did for a few years and now we're heading to my son and his wife's home, ~40 miles away.... so, basically it will be an entirely new/updated menu for us... this should be interesting! I do know he got an au-natural bird and they are making stuffing; my wife is conjuring up cream cheese mashed 'taters; I made rolls and will cook some brown sugar/maple syrup acorn squashes while my daughter brings the apple pie...

Beside the family time, I need to have turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing... the basics! I once had oyster stuffing - very good stuff! Apple pie will be OK... I would do something else... but I can get by today!! :laugh2:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love all of it and being Italian, we throw in an Italian dish a different one every year, this year, it's Eggplant Parmesan, which I will indulge in. Also my wife does roasted potatoes to die for and my mother makes a scrumptious Apple Cake. It's a great day for feast & family, topped off with football so go Lions, Raiders & Bills. I'm hoping Jared Goff has a big day for Detroit!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Being in a vegetarian Indian family, we never celebrated Thanksgiving in the traditional American sense. It was really awkward for me to say to other ppl to say its just like any other day for us for dinner. I mean we embraced everything else that came with the holiday....the parade, football, Black Friday, the 4 freakin day weekend, etc but not the dinner.

I only had my parents with me, but if you go the bigger cities, especially in the NJ/NY area, you'll see 3 generations living together year round. They probably don't care one bit, just another day for them.

Really weird holiday for me. But I appreciate a helluva lot more now. Love that everything just shuts down w/ absolutely nothing to do. I'm so rested this week lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I fry 2 turkeys. One is enough for the Thanksgiving meal... but I want leftover turkey for a few days after. Fried turkey is the shit. I have an electric turkey frier... it takes away all the guess work and danger that comes along with frying it redneck style.

I love gravy too. The girls were actually making some of the gravy stuff last night.

Fried turkey with some of the crispy fried skin dipped into gravy and stuffed directly into my mouth. Hard to stop eating that.

Whenever I make two or more turkey's, after trimming off most of the meat, I boil down the carcasses for a giant vat of broth/stock which is then turned into the best homemade turkey noodle soup ever, ... and frozen in 1 gallon plastic juice jugs for a later date. The residual herbs coming off the turkey stuffing are pretty much all you'll require for the seasoning, and you can adjust this according to taste if still necessary, same adjustments can be made with the broth if too much water was used by just adding a little on-hand store bought turkey stock or boiling off the excess water. Just remember to first refrigerate the broth overnight so lifting off and disposing of the excess fat is simplified. My ingredients are simple, just add carrots, celery, onions & egg noodles to the turkey that has fallen off the bones while boiling, and boiling the noodles in the broth even adds more flavor. This process usually gets my turkey noodle soup needs from Thanksgiving/Christmas thru the next year year when it's time to repeat. It's definitely worth the time Imo.
Have a great holiday season everyone. OK, it's now time for some Eggnog & Irish whiskey to get things rolling ...

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
All of it. Turkey, gravy, potatoes and stuffing.

My Fiance makes an amazing apple pie.
She makes a Dutch apple topping. Then adds some pecans and a drizzle of caramel. Finally topped of with a top pie crust. Served with vanilla ice cream.
It's frigging epic.

I love the way the house smells during Thanksgiving.

The leftovers are always amazing

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
potatoes & apple pie, F the pumpkin pie and cranberry crap!!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pie. Pumpkin or pecan, just gimme pie.