Fun With Millennials!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
As someone who is responsible for throwing 3 millennials out into the world, I offer this thread as a fun little tongue-in-cheek outlet. Also, I have full knowledge that each and every one of our current Rams, (except Whitworth) is technichly a Millennial. Even our great head coach. So there's that...

First entry:

View: https://youtu.be/Uo0KjdDJr1c

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Millennials for the motherfucking win!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Millennials for the motherfucking win!
I'm sorry to tell you this, but we don't win just for being here. We would actually have to be useful to win. Most of us aren't.

The first video was a little inaccurate through the middle, but the beginning and end we spot on.

The second video was clearly produced by someone who doesn't know that Gen X is the millennial generation. Which means it was somebody who is generally unaware of reality and didn't do any research. So a millennial. Why did I have to be born with the rest of these people?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm sorry to tell you this, but we don't win just for being here. We would actually have to be useful to win. Most of us aren't.

The first video was a little inaccurate through the middle, but the beginning and end we spot on.

The second video was clearly produced by someone who doesn't know that Gen X is the millennial generation. Which means it was somebody who is generally unaware of reality and didn't do any research. So a millennial. Why did I have to be born with the rest of these people?

This generation is the first generation whose entering the work force with a worse situation with fewer opportunities than the generation that raised them. The millennial generation will be more useful when they're given a chance to actually enter the real work force (i.e. getting real careers and not just jobs).

Also it helps when those of us who do work hard and get a career don't have their career taken away from them because the previous generation can't accept basic fucking science and tries to argue even though they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. I don't give a fuck about your life experience, Harold, I'm a fucking scientist, I know what I'm talking about because I've seen and worked with the data.

I'm a little salty about it, so I'll just dip away from this thread now. :whistle:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This generation is the first generation whose entering the work force with a worse situation with fewer opportunities than the generation that raised them. The millennial generation will be more useful when they're given a chance to actually enter the real work force (i.e. getting real careers and not just jobs).

Also it helps when those of us who do work hard and get a career don't have their career taken away from them because the previous generation can't accept basic freaking science and tries to argue even though they don't know what the freak they're talking about. I don't give a freak about your life experience, Harold, I'm a freaking scientist, I know what I'm talking about because I've seen and worked with the data.

I'm a little salty about it, so I'll just dip away from this thread now. :whistle:
For anyone concerned, I'm not Harold. I'm pretty sure he wasn't yelling at me.

And blue, I'm not just talking about millennials in the real world. Most millennials weren't very useful in my time in the military either. You want to talk about a chance at a real job, they had it. Most of them ran from opportunities to lead or get training, but then they'd get mad when I told them I recommended denying a waiver for early promotion.

Obviously everyone is a person, so there is no one size fits all for millennials. Some of them really killed it (figuratively, we were signal corps) when given the opportunity. I'm not down on my whole generation, just the characteristics that are generally attributed to my generation as a whole.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The millennial generation will be more useful when they're given a chance to actually enter the real work force (i.e. getting real careers and not just jobs).
Might help when your generation stops majoring in LGBT studies and/or Cyber Feminism.
Get your hands dirty.

Not you ... I know you're a bright guy with a tremendous work ethic. But some of your peers --- not so fucking much.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Might help when your generation stops majoring in LGBT studies and/or Cyber Feminism.
Get your hands dirty.

Not you ... I know you're a bright guy with a tremendous work ethic. But some of your peers --- not so freaking much.

This generation is the first generation whose entering the work force with a worse situation with fewer opportunities than the generation that raised them.

I certainly see valid points on both sides of this argument. I work with millennials who want to be thanked just for showing up on time! But yes, it's true that my generation could get by on a little smarts and a strong work ethic. Today you won't even get looked at without a 4 year degree.. 30 years ago, I made more per hour stocking shelves and bagging groceries than my daughter makes today teaching disadvantaged children. It ain't right.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Get your hands dirty.

Not you ... I know you're a bright guy with a tremendous work ethic. But some of your peers --- not so freaking much.

Does a career as an authoress count? Even if she majors in both LGBTQ studies and cyber-feminism?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@SierraRam - what happened to your Curly Howard avatar?
That thing was hilarious.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Get your hands dirty.

We'll yeah those types are in every generation, half my pizza guys are boomers. This generation just has the internet to broadcast their stupidity to the world. Of course as more and more boomers get on there, they broadcast it too. ;)

I was more speaking on the fact that a lot of boomers simply haven't left the work force, and many failed to adjust for new technology and instead are relying on the next generation to do it for them (which is dumb) which will require a little additional work.

As boomers leave the work force finally the millennial generation will get a chance to make their mark, get into politics, etc. Once they get into politics they will be able to bring change they want, to fix issues important to them.

Personally I don't think guys who are 70-80+ years old (even 60 is pushing it in my opinion) should be allowed to be in politics, making major legislative changes that will impact future generations when they won't suffer any consequences as they'll die before hand, but that's just me, and that's more the fault of millennials for not voting anyway.

Again though, I'm just a little salty because my research into finding habitable planets was shut down because we would take climate change data to better understand how a planet can change to become uninhabitable. I'll be happier again when I can research again.

For anyone concerned, I'm not Harold. I'm pretty sure he wasn't yelling at me.

And blue, I'm not just talking about millennials in the real world. Most millennials weren't very useful in my time in the military either. You want to talk about a chance at a real job, they had it. Most of them ran from opportunities to lead or get training, but then they'd get mad when I told them I recommended denying a waiver for early promotion.

Obviously everyone is a person, so there is no one size fits all for millennials. Some of them really killed it (figuratively, we were signal corps) when given the opportunity. I'm not down on my whole generation, just the characteristics that are generally attributed to my generation as a whole.

No, that was just a little joke, not intended to be towards you!

Guys in my unit were great though, hard workers and smart guys, but it's the Rangers, you need to be hard working and smart just to get a shot to make it into the unit. Not sure how other units operated, we didn't tolerate that bullshit.

But hey, boomers can't blame millenials for things they don't like, we learned it all from them anyway.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I dunno. Does it pay the bills?
That's all that matters.

On disability. Being in a wheelchair does that. I worked that at several places before that, all involving kitchen work or working in retirement homes (or both). Those were the only jobs I could get. I still wrote in between those jobs.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
On disability. Being in a wheelchair does that. I worked that at several places before that, all involving kitchen work or working in retirement homes (or both). Those were the only jobs I could get. I still wrote in between those jobs.
Do you have anything published? Or available somewhere to read? I am, very hesitantly, trying to expand the material I'm reading.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We'll yeah those types are in every generation, half my pizza guys are boomers. This generation just has the internet to broadcast their stupidity to the world. Of course as more and more boomers get on there, they broadcast it too. ;)
Well, sure. But I'm also talking about the way Universities are catering to the "apparent need for" social reform more than ever. Which, subsequently, allows more and more socially-driven malcontents to ignore the importance of a quality education in favor of becoming the saviors of humanity.

I was more speaking on the fact that a lot of boomers simply haven't left the work force, and many failed to adjust for new technology and instead are relying on the next generation to do it for them (which is dumb) which will require a little additional work.
I'm certain that's true. Technology is advancing at a rapid pace, and has, for as long as I've been in this industry (27 years). I keep up, my peers keep up, and the industry keeps humming along. Those who are reluctant to embrace new technology are phasing themselves out simply by virtue of not being able to fix anything without getting help from those of us who can. I see a lot of young guys working their way up, and some of them are capable of understanding things, and others just aren't. I don't know if that's a generational thing in as much as it's a dedication thing. Lotta REALLY smart boomers in my industry, anyway.

As boomers leave the work force finally the millennial generation will get a chance to make their mark, get into politics, etc. Once they get into politics they will be able to bring change they want, to fix issues important to them.
That's frightening. But I'm certain my parents probably thought the same thing. The difference this time, IMO, is the globalist view I'm seeing lately.

Personally I don't think guys who are 70-80+ years old (even 60 is pushing it in my opinion) should be allowed to be in politics, making major legislative changes that will impact future generations when they won't suffer any consequences as they'll die before hand, but that's just me, and that's more the fault of millennials for not voting anyway.
Agreed.

Again though, I'm just a little salty because my research into finding habitable planets was shut down because we would take climate change data to better understand how a planet can change to become uninhabitable. I'll be happier again when I can research again.
Climate change data on earth to better understand how others planets become uninhabitable over billions of years? I don't know that you'd get conclusive data, unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by that. I mean, Mars - they say - was once capable of sustaining life, but there was no man-made influence on its change in climate. Oh wait. You didn't say man-made in what I quoted. That's my bad.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

No, that was just a little joke, not intended to be towards you!

Guys in my unit were great though, hard workers and smart guys, but it's the Rangers, you need to be hard working and smart just to get a shot to make it into the unit. Not sure how other units operated, we didn't tolerate that bullcrap.

But hey, boomers can't blame millenials for things they don't like, we learned it all from them anyway.
Yeah, we had to tolerate all of it. According to my leadership (4 companies, 2 battalions on two different continents, and oodles of platoon sergeants and Commodes and first sergeants) the only people who could be held responsible for failure were E5s. So the soldiers learned that they couldn't get in trouble because their NCO would get all the blame. And they promptly stopped giving a fuck.

I do have to agree that it's hard to tell how much of this behavior is new to this generation and how much is being highlighted because they have a platform to show everyone how stupid they are. We see it from all ages.

And I think part of the reason we see these things in our generation is because the previous generation wanted them, so they gave it to they're kids. So it's not new, per se, but the last generation putting into motion what they thought they wanted.

So to everyone, of you're mad at millennials, be mad at a Boomer too.

Memento

Name
Jemma

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And I think part of the reason we see these things in our generation is because the previous generation wanted them, so they gave it to they're kids. So it's not new, per se, but the last generation putting into motion what they thought they wanted.

So to everyone, of you're mad at millennials, be mad at a Boomer too.
There's some validity in that. For me though, if my kids wanted something - like a PlayStation or laptop or phone or whatever - they had to "clock-in", and that was the phrase I used. Meaning, they had to do whatever chores I needed done, and I'd log their pay commensurate with what laborers were making at the time. Go landscape the yard for 4 hours and you'll "earn" 32 dollars or whatever. Put in 50 hours, and you'll get your PlayStation. It was a great arrangement for both of us, and taught them the value of hard work - as well as an appreciation for what they owned. I wish more parents would do something similar, but that's not what I'm seeing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
There's some validity in that. For me though, if my kids wanted something - like a PlayStation or laptop or phone or whatever - they had to "clock-in", and that was the phrase I used. Meaning, they had to do whatever chores I needed done, and I'd log their pay commensurate with what laborers were making at the time. Go landscape the yard for 4 hours and you'll "earn" 32 dollars or whatever. Put in 50 hours, and you'll get your PlayStation. It was a great arrangement for both of us, and taught them the value of hard work - as well as an appreciation for what they owned. I wish more parents would do something similar, but that's not what I'm seeing.
That is genius. I'm using that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.