Fun NFL Related Stories

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
We've all had great sports experiences in our lives. Running into athletes. Funny conversations. Interesting interaction. I'd love to hear some of your stories.

Just to establish guidelines, rules, regulations and bylaws for this thread:

• Keep it relevant, Ram related, if possible, edifying and nutritional.
  • Keep each response to one brief story. Maybe 2 paragraphs tops. (After all, kids. It is a proven fact, most ROD members have ADHD, and pop Ritalin like Marshawn Lynch pops Skittles.)
  • If you have a second story you are dying to tell, run back and get in line again, just like at the Jet blaster roller coaster.
  • Make your story Ram/ or at least NFL related. (Otherwise the moderators kick it to another time zone)
  • Have fun. Include tasteful photos if you'd like. And be sure to eat plenty of fiber.
I'll start off:

In the early 1990's I had a buddy, Jim, who married the daughter of the team doctor of the hated 49ers. Now being a Rams fan, I thought I should be on my best behavior, so as not to taint Jim's big day with and fist fights or verbal altercations. I was doing so well.

Then it happened. :headexplosion:While standing in line to get into the wedding reception, I glanced behind me, only to find I was standing right in front of current coach, George Siefert. Doing a double-take, I asked him, in my best dead-pan voice, "Hey, they let Ram fans in here, right?" :whistle:To his credit, he snapped back, without missing a beat, "Oh, they'll let anyone in." :(:LOL:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice. Ol Seifert.

I have told this story on ROD before.
When I was in high school several Rams were participating in a fundraising thing, playing basketball, having a BBQ with some local cops/firefighters. I had to work and missed the BBQ and all that. By the time I got the the place the official "game" was about done. Milling around after a couple of Ram players stuck around and wanted to keep playing. I got selected to play on the other team (being a slightly below average Varsity high school basketball player after all). So, I got to play basketball against Robert Del Pino and Buford McGee. A lot of fun. Super cool, nice guys. I have an old polaroid (yes, polaroid) somewhere of me chatting with Del Pino. Fun times.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool story Fearsome. I remember you mentioning that a while back.

Another Ram related story:

It was early summer of 1997. My now ex-Cousin-in-law, (is that a thing?(n)) Ty graduated from Fresno State and played guard for the Bulldogs 1983 NIT championship team that year. Another notable graduate that year, of course, was our beloved Henry Ellard.

Ty and Henry were pretty good friends. Henry was in his second year, I think, with the Foreskins, after 11 great years with the Rams. (The Rams shouldn't have let him walk.) Ty and fellow FSU basketball Alum Rod Higgins were conducting an annual basketball camp for kids the conducted each year in Fresno. Ellard took his son to the camp that year, as did I.

Higgins was good friends with Michael Jordan, and Jordan would appear at the camp every year, as a favor, and to drive up attendance. The Camp Coaches, including Jordan, would put on a clinic game the final night at the Arena, open to the public. This particular year Jordan and the Bulls won the Championship, and after the Chicago parade, he hopped a flight...to lovely Fresno.

I drove 4 hours down to Fresno to take my young son Mikey to attend the camp. I took my golf clubs with me, and Mike and I stopped off at a driving range to break up the drive. We smacked a couple buckets of balls and jumped back on the road. When I got there Ty's wife said, "You just missed them." I said, "What?" "You just missed Ty. He was going to ask if you wanted to come with he, Rod and Michael Jordan, to play a round of golf." :headexplosion: Stopping off at the driving range cost what turned out to be 36 holes of golf with Michael Jordan that day!!!:(

Then, at camp, I got to meet a Ram hero. Ty introduced me to Henry Ellard. :yess: "Oh this is the guy you were telling me about?" Henry said.
:unsure:"Yeah, that's him." Ty said. :snicker: :huh: :snicker:They both snickered a bit. ( I guess my "Fanboy" enthusiasm was quite hilarious to them.) We talked for a bit. He was a pretty regular guy. Wished him well, but we were with our sons, so it was pretty brief.

Then, the night of the basketball game, Ty set us up courtside to watch Jordan, and the others put on a Globetrotter-like demonstration! All the other campers were sitting up in the nosebleeds, along with the paying public. Mikey and I were right on the court, behind the players bench!

My son was 6 at the time, and this was at the height of popularity of the movie, Space Jam. We must have watched that movie 20 times by this point. Then it happened. After running up and down the court, Jordan came over to rest, and sat right in front of my son and I! How cool is this?! With THE Michael Jordan a foot away, I turned to my son and whispered, "Can you believe, that is Michael Jordan!"(y) to which my amazed son replied, "Can I go sit with my friends now?" :palm::effemine::LOL:

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I have a couple good stories about Todd Gurley from his days here at UGA but none that I can share on a public forum, lol. Let's just say Gurley is a cool dude and knows how to have a good time.

I did get to meet Terrell Davis the other day. He was with a camera crew shooting for some special on UGA's campus. I walked by him and said, "Terrell Davis?! What are you doing here man?" He jokingly said, "I'm an actor man, can't you tell?" I told him I mistook him for Samuel L. Jackson. He laughed. I said I could tell he was busy so I started to walk away but he said, "Hey man, give me a pound." I turned around and he had his fist held out. I gave him a fist bump and said, "Take it easy." I got to bump fists and talk with an NFL Legend and a future Hall of Famer. It made my day.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cool story Fearsome. I remember you mentioning that a while back.

Another Ram related story:

It was early summer of 1997. My now ex-Cousin-in-law, (is that a thing?(n)) Ty graduated from Fresno State and played guard for the Bulldogs 1983 NIT championship team that year. Another notable graduate that year, of course, was our beloved Henry Ellard.

Ty and Henry were pretty good friends. Henry was in his second year, I think, with the Foreskins, after 11 great years with the Rams. (The Rams shouldn't have let him walk.) Ty and fellow FSU basketball Alum Rod Higgins were conducting an annual basketball camp for kids the conducted each year in Fresno. Ellard took his son to the camp that year, as did I.

Higgins was good friends with Michael Jordan, and Jordan would appear at the camp every year, as a favor, and to drive up attendance. The Camp Coaches, including Jordan, would put on a clinic game the final night at the Arena, open to the public. This particular year Jordan and the Bulls won the Championship, and after the Chicago parade, he hopped a flight...to lovely Fresno.

I drove 4 hours down to Fresno to take my young son Mikey to attend the camp. I took my golf clubs with me, and Mike and I stopped off at a driving range to break up the drive. We smacked a couple buckets of balls and jumped back on the road. When I got there Ty's wife said, "You just missed them." I said, "What?" "You just missed Ty. He was going to ask if you wanted to come with he, Rod and Michael Jordan, to play a round of golf." :headexplosion: Stopping off at the driving range cost what turned out to be 36 holes of golf with Michael Jordan that day!!!:(

Then, at camp, I got to meet a Ram hero. Ty introduced me to Henry Ellard. :yess: "Oh this is the guy you were telling me about?" Henry said.
:unsure:"Yeah, that's him." Ty said. :snicker: :huh: :snicker:They both snickered a bit. ( I guess my "Fanboy" enthusiasm was quite hilarious to them.) We talked for a bit. He was a pretty regular guy. Wished him well, but we were with our sons, so it was pretty brief.

Then, the night of the basketball game, Ty set us up courtside to watch Jordan, and the others put on a Globetrotter-like demonstration! All the other campers were sitting up in the nosebleeds, along with the paying public. Mikey and I were right on the court, behind the players bench!

My son was 6 at the time, and this was at the height of popularity of the movie, Space Jam. We must have watched that movie 20 times by this point. Then it happened. After running up and down the court, Jordan came over to rest, and sat right in front of my son and I! How cool is this?! With THE Michael Jordan a foot away, I turned to my son and whispered, "Can you believe, that is Michael Jordan!"(y) to which my amazed son replied, "Can I go sit with my friends now?" :palm::effemine::LOL:
Nice.
Ellard is the real Ram #80. No offense to Ike Bruce.
Your sons reaction to Jordan reminds me of my sons first MLB game. Pretty cool experience with a guy who is probably going to the HOF that was met with indifference. Haha. Young kids are great.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I used to work for a huge telecom company and my office was in Ashburn, VA, right down the street from Redskins Park. One of our vendors booked us for a half day of visiting the facility. Pretty cool to see 3 Lombardi trophy's in a case I must admit. Anyhoo, we also got to hang around for their morning practice session. As a die hard Rams fan, I had one goal. Get a pic and autograph from this guy (please excuse the cheesy necklace):

1915662_1260459840597_174621_n.jpg

Mission accomplished. Had a chance to talk about the Rams Superbowl also. We shared a sigh as we finished talking about those good ol' days. I could tell he missed that Rams team.

fearsomefour

Legend
I used to work for a huge telecom company and my office was in Ashburn, VA, right down the street from Redskins Park. One of our vendors booked us for a half day of visiting the facility. Pretty cool to see 3 Lombardi trophy's in a case I must admit. Anyhoo, we also got to hang around for their morning practice session. As a die hard Rams fan, I had one goal. Get a pic and autograph from this guy (please excuse the cheesy necklace):

View attachment 12663

Mission accomplished. Had a chance to talk about the Rams Superbowl also. We shared a sigh as we finished talking about those good ol' days. I could tell he missed that Rams team.
Very cool.
A very, very under appreciated player. Made a Pro-Bowl or two....probably should have made 7 or 8. Great player.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

View attachment 12663

Very cool Faceplant! (Not the necklace,- meeting London Fletcher!) :whistle: That's two stories now about legendary Rams that unfortunately went to the Foreskins, along with my Ellard story. When I get some time later I'll stay with the DC theme and post another...photo attached.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

View attachment 12663

Cool pic. He should have been in Horns forever FFS.

Ahhhhhhhhhh&hhhh... but the foreskins and I do have a history too. Besides the fact that my Grandfather was a skins fan, he was from Chesapeake Bay.... I never get tired of sharing this nugget.... I used to date a skins cheerleader. Ha. Even went to 2 games up there (non Ram games). We had the exact same birthday and went to HS together. Reconnecting years later. Obviously she was just too old for me ;),,, I traded her in on a much younger sport model.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice.
Ellard is the real Ram #80. No offense to Ike Bruce.
Your sons reaction to Jordan reminds me of my sons first MLB game. Pretty cool experience with a guy who is probably going to the HOF that was met with indifference. Haha. Young kids are great.
I really LOVE both of these Players!! But I'm hoping that after BRUUUCE makes the H of F this year that the Rams retire #80 in his Honor! I don't think Ellard would mind! Maybe Ellard could present Bruce at the H of F ceremony!?!(y):D

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I really LOVE both of these Players!! But I'm hoping that after BRUUUCE makes the H of F this year that the Rams retire #80 in his Honor! I don't think Ellard would mind! Maybe Ellard could present Bruce at the H of F ceremony!?!(y):D

Gosh Dave. I think Henry is borderline HOF himself. I doubt he ever makes it but just look at his career stats. He was awesome. It is amazing we had 2 #80s so good.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I couldn't agree more!! Ellard should have gone in a Long, Long time ago! The Rams Have had some really Great WR's over the years!!(y):D

fearsomefour

Legend
Gosh Dave. I think Henry is borderline HOF himself. I doubt he ever makes it but just look at his career stats. He was awesome. It is amazing we had 2 #80s so good.
Especially when you consider DBs were allowed to play defense back then....grab, hit ect.
Henry Ellard was one of the better router runners of all time.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
So it was 1985, following the 1984 football season. I was stationed in the US Coast Guard Presidential Honor Guard, Washington DC. We did parades, funerals, joint service ceremonies at the White House, Pentagon, etc. We also did all the Color Guard for a lot of the National Anthems you see on TV, etc.

Well I was given the assignment of Color Guard for the Annual Touchdown Club Awards at the DC Marriott. Guys were telling me, "Oh that is so awesome!. You're lucky." I had no idea.

Turns out it is the annual awarding of the best NFL player per conference, as well as Head Coach, etc. So I get to the Ceremony and they set us up with food, drinks, etc. Then we get our dress uniforms on and set up back stage, to march out for the Joint Service Colors. Who was hosting the ceremony that year? See below. (Recognize the goof ball co-host peering over one of the Service guys?)

A photographer asked if we wanted a picture with Burt. Lined us up, and took this shot. He got our addresses and mailed an 8x10 to us. Pretty cool! Then the NFL players came back stage with us to be introduced after the National Anthem was sung. Who won the NFC award that year? None other than our Eric Dickerson!:yess: I didn't get to talk to him, because I had to be professional, but he was hanging right there with me for 10-15 minutes, shortly after this photo was snapped. Also there were Dan Marino and Don Shula. I was the Coastie up front, off Burt's left shoulder. Dang, I looked like a kid. Pretty much the same now. :unsure: Pretty cool memory, though.
Coast Guard.jpg

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Wow. Was hoping for more stories. I know I'm not the only one with "Forest Gump moments".

So we happen to live in the town the Whiners used to use for summer camp. Back during 1992 my wife was divorced and working at a local Mexican restaurant the Whiner players frequented after practices to blow off a little steam. (She was a waitress.) Deion Sanders used to talk to her quite a bit, and encouraged her to go back to school. Norton Jr. was a pig, and there was a certain rookie kicker that was smitten with her.

This kicker asked her out, but my- now wife -was not in any mindset to start a relationship with ANYONE, much less a professional athlete. She was fresh off a divorce. She and I would not meet for another several years.

My wife was a confused Raider fan back then, and decided to mess with the kicker. The Niners and Raiders were getting ready to play a preseason game, and she teased him, "You are going to go to make a kick against the Raiders, and you are going to think about me, and miss the kick." The other niner players in ear shot quickly stopped her, after a chuckle. "Hey don't mess with our kickers head."

But sure enough, the game came, and Jeff Wilkins missed a kick. :D (Of course my wife takes credit for psyching him out, to this day.) She has recovered from the Raider thing, and is a true Rams fan now. And never regrets choosing me over the greatest kicker in Ram history. :unsure:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:unsure: Edit to above story. It was 1995, and I noticed Wilkins was technically not a rookie.:snicker:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So it was 1985, following the 1984 football season. I was stationed in the US Coast Guard Presidential Honor Guard, Washington DC. We did parades, funerals, joint service ceremonies at the White House, Pentagon, etc. We also did all the Color Guard for a lot of the National Anthems you see on TV, etc.

Well I was given the assignment of Color Guard for the Annual Touchdown Club Awards at the DC Marriott. Guys were telling me, "Oh that is so awesome!. You're lucky." I had no idea.

Turns out it is the annual awarding of the best NFL player per conference, as well as Head Coach, etc. So I get to the Ceremony and they set us up with food, drinks, etc. Then we get our dress uniforms on and set up back stage, to march out for the Joint Service Colors. Who was hosting the ceremony that year? See below. (Recognize the goof ball co-host peering over one of the Service guys?)

A photographer asked if we wanted a picture with Burt. Lined us up, and took this shot. He got our addresses and mailed an 8x10 to us. Pretty cool! Then the NFL players came back stage with us to be introduced after the National Anthem was sung. Who won the NFC award that year? None other than our Eric Dickerson!:yess: I didn't get to talk to him, because I had to be professional, but he was hanging right there with me for 10-15 minutes, shortly after this photo was snapped. Also there were Dan Marino and Don Shula. I was the Coastie up front, off Burt's left shoulder. Dang, I looked like a kid. Pretty much the same now. :unsure: Pretty cool memory, though.View attachment 12674
That ' Goof-Ball' was Dom DeLouise, and He and Burt where Fast Friends back in those days!! Funny Man! Great story!(y)(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

A photographer asked if we wanted a picture with Burt. Lined us up, and took this shot. He got our addresses and mailed an 8x10 to us. Pretty cool! Then the NFL players came back stage with us to be introduced after the National Anthem was sung. Who won the NFC award that year? None other than our Eric Dickerson!:yess: I didn't get to talk to him, because I had to be professional, but he was hanging right there with me for 10-15 minutes, shortly after this photo was snapped. Also there were Dan Marino and Don Shula. I was the Coastie up front, off Burt's left shoulder. Dang, I looked like a kid. Pretty much the same now. :unsure: Pretty cool memory, though.View attachment 12674
I just noticed something else in the Photo. I know it's NOT him, but the Soldier to "Burt's" right looks a lot like Obama! At least to me!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
That ' Goof-Ball' was Dom DeLouise, and He and Burt where Fast Friends back in those days!! Funny Man! Great story!(y)(y)
You got it Dave! He was Burts sidekick in a few movies back in the day. I still am kicking myself for not approaching Dickerson that day.