Free Agent Depth?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Any free agents you'd be interested in targeting for depth or potential camp cuts you wouldn't mind picking up?

I think we could use extra bodies for:

WR, DL, CB, S

I think it would be smart to bring in a vet WR to compete for the 6th spot. It wouldn't hurt adding one more vet DL to the rotation for at least TC. Right now we only have 4 legit NFL CBs on the roster (Finnegan, Jenkins, Johnson, & McGee). I think carrying 5 CBs is preferable. If the price is right for a guy like Charles Woodson I'd love to have him come in to play 4th or 5th CB, backup safety, and can come in during certain situations and tackle like a LB. Woodson would be like a coach on the field & could teach all of the DBs many tricks to the trade.

Your thoughts?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I have a significantly different opinion from you on this.

I think we are fine at WR, except for some camp bodies. Here's my thinking. Since Cook plays in the slot more often than he plays in-line, i doubt we carry more than 5 WR. We have 4 WRs that are locks for the roster(BQ, Givens, Austin, and Studman). Pettis is in the 5th slot right now. With Nick Johnson in the 6th.

I have a similar view on CB. I think Pointer is a legitimate NFL CB. He might not be a starter, but he is a quality back up. That means we have 5 NFL CBs right now and a few guys competing in camp to unseat one of those CBs or vie for the 6th slot.

I think we need depth along the DL and at LB. We have a quality back up LB in Hull, but beyond that there's a lot of question marks. IMO you can never have enough DL depth.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is Mikell still available?

If so, I'd still be kicking the tires there... although our need feels greater at Free Safety.

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah I would say depth at Safety is the primary need but having experienced vets for camp at WR, RB would he great as far as mentoring our young guys. REEEEALLY hoping we see a lot of Faulk, Bruce, Holt around training camp this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I had mentioned Charles Woodson a few weeks ago as a vet guy i'd like to bring in for a year to mentor and maybe play some safety in a pinch as added depth. I'm not sure that playing on our turf is the best idea for CW at this point,but we're still lacking in cover safety's right now,and i'd love to have him in the locker room.

V3

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

If so, I'd still be kicking the tires there... although our need feels greater at Free Safety.

I would think Woodson would be able to play FS if needed. He can also play CB if needed so he's versatile.

My questions is can we afford anyone else? I know we had no room before the contract restructure (was it Long's?). I don't know how much that freed up and how much it'll cost to sign our rookies? Will we have anything left after paying the rookies to get any FA's?

I think some people on the radio were mentioning some sort of deal where only a small part of certain vets' contracts goes against the cap. They said they could probably do that with Mikell but I don't really think we need a SS.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

lockdnram21

Legend
libertadrocks said:
I have a significantly different opinion from you on this.

I think we are fine at WR, except for some camp bodies. Here's my thinking. Since Cook plays in the slot more often than he plays in-line, i doubt we carry more than 5 WR. We have 4 WRs that are locks for the roster(BQ, Givens, Austin, and Studman). Pettis is in the 5th slot right now. With Nick Johnson in the 6th.

I have a similar view on CB. I think Pointer is a legitimate NFL CB. He might not be a starter, but he is a quality back up. That means we have 5 NFL CBs right now and a few guys competing in camp to unseat one of those CBs or vie for the 6th slot.

I think we need depth along the DL and at LB. We have a quality back up LB in Hull, but beyond that there's a lot of question marks. IMO you can never have enough DL depth.

I think radway might make it and pettis get cut. Hes just there cause of his sticky hands. Stedman has sticky hands so no need for pettis

Slappy967

Starter
I don't see us cutting Pettis going into his 3rd year which is the year most players come into their own in the NFL. If we were going to cut him it would have been last year when he was suspended. Loved the guy in college and thought he was coming on last season.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I can see bringing a couple vets in for a safety net or to fill a hole.
But you can't keep or play them over a young guy with upside. This road has been traveled before and it leads to where we just came from.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pettis is still developing,along with everyone else at WR. Waaaaay too early to cut bait on him.

Besides,having a deep recieving core is a GOOD thing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Austin, Givens, Bailey, Quick and Pettis are all slated to make the team I think. I agree with them carrying 5 WR and maybe 4TEs with Cook playing out of both spots. Johnson has only shown something in the return game, although, they like him enough to bring him back after he got into trouble. I think Pettis is the only guy who has an outside shot of getting his job stolen if someone steps up big in camp. But, I just dont see that happening.
The S spots are wide open obviously. The last couple of Dline spots will be interesting. The thoughts some had about Woodson coming into to provide depth and mentor the DBs....had a similiar thought about Richard Seymour. If you could get him on a cheap vet/incentive type deal could provide great depth and rotate in at both DT and DE. But, S is the bigger need. Really looking forward to seeing if Brockers develops as a passrusher in his second year. The flexability of being able to line up Long/Brockers/Seymour/Quinn on passing downs could be scary. Seymour graded out + vs the pass last year, although he missed a lot of time with injuries. He has never been a huge sack guy, but, he collapses the pocket pretty well. Or, being able to run a 3 down lineman variation with Long/Seymour/Quinn with Ogletree or Dunbar rushing as the fourth would be interesting also. One thing for sure, the athleticism on both sides of the ball now can really allow the coaches to get creative and try to create mismatches. Hell, just steal from the Whiners and run a stunt with Seymour and Long where Seymour just holds Longs guy (ala Justin Smith) and sets Long free. No big surprise to me when Smith went down their young DE stopped being nearly as effective....and it isent because Smith is a great pass rusher himself. Cheatin' whiners.
As for LB depth we have next to none. Ogletree sort of wins the OLB spot by default at this point. I could see a solid (not great) sort of vet like Mcintosh coming back a minimum vet sort of deal. Knows the system an if he had to play for a stretch he can be ok.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

undrafted free agent Cody Davis
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612470-cody-davis-video-highlights-for-former-texas-tech-ss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612 ... as-tech-ss</a>

he be the man!
train