FrantikRam's post FA (and if we extend Kupp and Ramsey) off-season mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think most of us expect both these guys to be extended - if they are, here are the players we would have for at least the next two seasons:

Goff
Henderson
Higbee
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Noteboom
Corbett
Allen
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein

Brockers
Robinson
Donald

Ramsey
Long
Rapp
JJ

Signing Brockers and A'Shawn have completely set our DL for at least the next two years, with solid depth in SJD and Gaines. Made me wonder who else we would have. The scariest proposition is at OLB and ILB, where we wouldn't have any starting caliber players after this upcoming season. CB is also not quite as deep as you'd think after next season, and I don't think JJ will get an extension, although I wouldn't be upset if he did.

So for draft priorities:

ILB - this is going in a category by itself because it's beyond dire

S - again, thinking JJ won't be re-signed
OLB - along with S, this player would hopefully be a starter after the 2020 season
CB - Williams and Hill are both FAs after this year
RB - this would depend on your opinion of Henderson and Brown
OL - ironic, isn't it? That our biggest weakness is this far down my list of draft priorities - for me personally, I'd rather let the guys we have develop

It looks like we will have $60 million in cap next year, before factoring in Ramsey and Kupp - assuming they'll take about $32 million, that leaves us with some money to spend to retain Ebukam, JJ, Floyd, Williams and/or Hill. Adding that into the equation, I'd say our three biggest needs are ILB and RB, with the caveat that if they fall in love with an OL, pull the trigger.

Without further ado..

TRADE: Rams trade Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds, Rob Havenstein and pick 104 to the Bengals for pick 33.

This is a strange one, I'll admit. It'd probably be somewhat unprecedented in that there aren't a ton of player for pick draft day trades, particularly this high - why I think this could happen:

First let's get the obvious out of the way: yes, Everett and Reynolds are only under contract for one year - that's why the Rams would send pick 104 back to them. Second, AJ Green and John Ross have been extremely injury prone, and Everett immediately upgrades their TE room. All three have proven they can play and Zac Taylor has a history with them. Also from the Bengals perspective, this is assuming they take Burrow and want to give him some immediate help.

Second, from the Rams perspective, it feels likely that none of these guys are in the plans beyond 2020 (Hav could be since he'd still be under contract, but at this rate is more likely to be a cap casualty after next year). And I seriously question our current cap situation - it seems like after signing Brockers that we would be over and will need to make some type of move.

Finally, I could see something like this being contingent upon a certain player being there, and because of McVay and Taylor's relationship, they could keep this between them, and obviously because it's the first pick of Day 2, there would be ample time to discuss it.

Pick 33:

JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio St.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD6YTyg_sig

As an Ohio State fan, I've said before, I'm VERY tough on OSU players going into the NFL. I liked Michael Thomas at OSU and thought he would be good (can't stand him now obviously..), and I'm pretty decent at projecting OSU players in general. Dobbins will lead the NFL in rushing at some point - he has a vicious stiff arm, outstanding balance, great vision, breaks tackles, has some wiggle, and he's fast. He needs work in the passing game - while most OSU fans were up in arms about the officiating, I put the Clemson loss on Dobbins - two dropped TDs. And he's an average to below average blocker right now - but I see him and Henderson sharing the RB duties so I'm not concerned about that.

Round 2, Pick 52:

KJ Hamler, WR, Penn St.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1zqR1LzNKM

This one may give Rams fans some PTSD, but I'll say this about Tavon Austin - if we had taken him with the 52nd pick in the draft, he would have been worth it. And I trust McVay to cultivate this talent - it's also worth noting that Hamler is 20 - twenty - years old. In the short term, I see him as solving an immediate problem - or being an insurance policy, if you will - using him and Dobbins/Henderson similarly to how Fisher used Austin/Gurley during Gurley's rookie year - our OL was not good, but we were able to run the ball because of the horizontal threat of Tavon. In Hamler, most of his touches would come from behind the LOS while he works on route running and catching the ball. But you can't teach speed.

Round 3, Pick 84:

Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio St.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92pY0TqLwM

Happens to be another one of my favorites - may struggle against the pass, but with the additions/re-signings of Floyd, Brockers and Robinson, I'm continuing a theme here: improved run defense. I've seen him going earlier than this, but I don't see it for a LB with questions against the pass.

Round 4, Pick 126:

Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGyZOpqlsvQ

Hard to figure where he will be drafted, but his willingness as a run blocker is another theme I'm continuing here: improving the run game.

Round 6, Pick 199:

Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio St.

This is more about the person and what role he might be able to play rather than being a traditional "safety" - he's going to fall in the draft because he doesn't really stand out. Not rangy enough for what you want in NFL safeties these days, and not really a "box safety" either. But he's intelligent and if still on the board here, I think he can potentially chip in as a 3rd down LB/S role. Compared to the LBs we'll have, he would be an improvement against the pass.

Round 7, Pick 234:

Binjimen Victor, WR, Ohio St.

I remember the first time I saw him in the Spring game a few years ago - I was excited. He never lived up to that potential. He may not even make the team, but that goes of any 7th rounder, save for kicker - and I didn't want to spend a draft pick on a kicker. Victor wasn't redshirted his freshmen year, but barely played - then in his last three seasons, he had three different QBs: Barrett, Haskins and Fields. Ohio State has also had a rather crowded WR room, even though none are really blue chip talent. I think those two factors combined to limit his development, and I'm willing to take a chance on stashing him to see if he can develop being around an elite offense. Best play of his career:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EUMRH0yAJY

Even in this, you can see that his NFL future is probably a possession/physical WR, but he's too thin - a project for sure, but one I'm willing to take at this stage.

Roster:

QB - Goff, Wolford
RB - Dobbins, Henderson, Brown, Kelly
WR - Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Hamler, Webster, Victor
TE - Higbee, Mundt, Moss
OL - Whitworth/Corbett/Blythe/Edwards/Evans, Noteboom, Allen, Shelton, Brewer
DL - AD/Robinson/Brockers, SJD, Gaines, Smart
OLB - Ebukam/Floyd, Obo, Lawler vs. Polite vs. Holland
ILB - Kiser/Harrison, Reeder, Howard vs. Patrick
CB - Ramsey/Hill/Long, Williams, Deayon
S - JJ/Rapp, Scott, Gervase, Fuller

Something to note: while most have been on wanting to improve the Rams OL, it's worth noting that the five I have starting were the same five that started our last five games, which was a borderline elite offense - the lone exception was the game against Dallas. The other four games - all against our divisional opponents - the OL performed extremely well - with the improvement of Goff, the addition of Dobbins and another year of experience for these guys - yikes. And Noteboom and Allen - our first two backups - both have starting experience themselves.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Love this mock, except for the 176lb wr. No more smurfs.
Dobbins, wow... I haven't seen any highlights of this kid yet, but he's the first RB I've seen that has the "it" factor. Worth the trade imo. Take a C at 52 & I'd be all over this.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Trade a that away for #33 seems unrealistic.

Dobbins is great back but has a lot of mileage on him.

No on wr period absolutely a dumb pick unless next Jerry Rice.

To think this oline is good is really laughable. We must address the C/G positions.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Gurley had lots of mileage on him as well. Plus an ACL he was recovering from.
I haven't seen any RB's so far that I'm excited about except for this Dobbins kid. They're all good & I'm sure I'd be fine with the others that have been mocked, but Dobbins has a burst that you just can't teach. Only RB I've seen in this draft so far that gets me close to that level of excitement as when I first saw Gurley's highlights. (yet no one, & I mean no one, has ever had highlights like his. He was special.)
I'm not comparing him to TG, it sounds like Dobbins has some issues with hands & possibly mileage, but who else might be available at #33 that gets you excited? or even at #52?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Love Hamler.

Nothing wrong with Dobbins, but no way I draft a RB that high. Even before Gurley I was always in the “you find RB’s all over the draft” camp. Sure, the hit rate goes up the higher you grab one... but, eh... draft a sleeper late, grab an UDFA, beef the OL.

We got Henderson.

We can even rotate guys... if the oline works. We see teams do it all the time. Of all the positions, having multiple guys isn’t a bad thing due to injuries.

Look what CJ did for us off the street.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
3 skill position players plus a TE out of 6 total picks? ..... No, I don't think that is realistic. I'll bet there will be more defenders drafted than Offense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3 skill position players plus a TE out of 6 total picks? ..... No, I don't think that is realistic. I'll bet there will be more defenders drafted than Offense.

Maybe but I think of it two ways:

First, the draft is for the future - you can't assume guys are going to come in and start right away. Given that were going to likely lose Reynolds and Everett, Cooks is a question mark and we lost Gurley, I'd argue those needs are just as important

Second, McVay had allowed most of the draft picks to go to defense. The only skill guys he's drafted are Kupp, Everett, Reynolds, Henderson and Kelly. I think part of him overhauling the coaching staff is that he's going to do things differently - why spend all that capital for an average defense like we've had the past two years? I wouldn't be surprised if he told Staley he will get FAs - which now has every position and depth filled on D except for ILB - and then McVay takes the draft for offense

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would love to see us get Dobbins, that sure would be nice. I'd also like to see us add a wideout at some point, would also be nice as our wideout corps needs some fresh blood with Cooks and JRey leaving after this season.

But I don't like ignoring the OL. I believe that would be a catastrophe no matter how many skill types we draft.

Oh and as it pertains to the wideouts Hamler can actually run a route tree unlike Tavon when he was drafted. So yeah he's nothing like him outside of the size. He'd give us speed in the slot and Kupp would move outside the hashes next year when Cooks & JRey leave so wouldn't be a bad pick at all. But to get the ball to a little MFer like that in stride your QB better be accurate (Goff is) and setting his feet which is going to require good protections.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Love Hamler.

Nothing wrong with Dobbins, but no way I draft a RB that high. Even before Gurley I was always in the “you find RB’s all over the draft” camp. Sure, the hit rate goes up the higher you grab one... but, eh... draft a sleeper late, grab an UDFA, beef the OL.

We got Henderson.

We can even rotate guys... if the oline works. We see teams do it all the time. Of all the positions, having multiple guys isn’t a bad thing due to injuries.

Look what CJ did for us off the street.

CJ preformed for 4 games. There’s a reason you didn’t hear his name this year. Also, the finding of them all over the draft is such a tired argument in my mind. You find ALL positions over the draft. Look at the top backs in the NFL right now.

Henry - 2nd
Chubb - 2nd
Jacobs - 1st
McCaffrey - 1st
Elliot - 1st
Carson - 7th
Cook - 2nd
Drake - 3rd
Mack - 4th
Barkley - 1st
Fournette - 1st

Out of the 11 most productive RBs in the NFL this past season, only 2 were taken after the 3rd.

we all saw how well this offense works without a running game. We should be nervous. We should see the trends in the NFL and realize that a running game and a strong D is what gets you to the Super Bowl. We’re running the risk of repeating a Martz situation. Get a running back early and be done with it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of mileage?
725 college carries
What RB do you like?
Dillon from BC has 845
Taylor from Wisco has 926
Moss from Utah has 712

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CJ preformed for 4 games. There’s a reason you didn’t hear his name this year. Also, the finding of them all over the draft is such a tired argument in my mind. You find ALL positions over the draft. Look at the top backs in the NFL right now.

Henry - 2nd
Chubb - 2nd
Jacobs - 1st
McCaffrey - 1st
Elliot - 1st
Carson - 7th
Cook - 2nd
Drake - 3rd
Mack - 4th
Barkley - 1st
Fournette - 1st

Out of the 11 most productive RBs in the NFL this past season, only 2 were taken after the 3rd.

we all saw how well this offense works without a running game. We should be nervous. We should see the trends in the NFL and realize that a running game and a strong D is what gets you to the Super Bowl. We’re running the risk of repeating a Martz situation. Get a running back early and be done with it.

Good points!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could barely stand to have one Ohio State player on the Rams, when Laurinitis was there. Now you want to add four? :p

I do like Dobbins. Surprisingly I don't want Hamler. He's too small. Teams realized late in the year that Clifford only threw to Hamler and Friermuth. They focused their coverage on them and forced Penn State to run. So, if college defenses can take Hamler out of a game so easily, I bet NFL defenders can too. He'll get bumped off his routes too easily.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could barely stand to have one Ohio State player on the Rams, when Laurinitis was there. Now you want to add four? :p

I do like Dobbins. Surprisingly I don't want Hamler. He's too small. Teams realized late in the year that Clifford only threw to Hamler and Friermuth. They focused their coverage on them and forced Penn State to run. So, if college defenses can take Hamler out of a game so easily, I bet NFL defenders can too. He'll get bumped off his routes too easily.

Admittedly I don't have much time to watch football outside the Big 10, so I try to stick with what I know. And obviously the last two may not/probably wouldn't even make the team.

Yes I noticed that with Hamler, but going from playing at Penn St. to the Rams and Sean McVay - and being the 4th best WR on the team - I think he can make an impact. He would be the last thing teams would be worrying about with Cooks/Woods/Kupp/Higbee and the run game. And if I'm being honest, I've been watching some of Tavon's highlights early on with the Rams - had he been a 2nd round pick, it would have been a great pick for us - and I'm convinced that Jeff Fisher did something to ruin him. So having another version of him - and I think Hamler can make more of an impact as a WR - would be awesome.

I'm sure none of this will actually happen though - I'd guess Malik Harrison is the most likely out of all of these to be on the Rams radar (assuming Dobbins gets drafted early and we don't trade up).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Trade a that away for #33 seems unrealistic.

No on wr period absolutely a dumb pick unless next Jerry Rice.

To think this oline is good is really laughable. We must address the C/G positions.

Dobbins still might be there at 52 ??
I like Patrick Queen there though.
Akers & Kelly, but the ND WR might be worth the 84 & those 2 with the 104.

The Rams could also give up there 114 to get up a couple spots.

Damn this draft is going to be fun to watch.

Ram65

Legend
Malik Harrison is interesting. Upgrade of Kiser etc.. Still only a two-down player. He can hit and seems to move well for his size.

The rest was entertaining. I think O Line needs to be addressed.

Don't think even the Bungles trade the #33 pick for Everett and Reynolds.

I don't think Rams need to draft a RB that high. They need a compliment to Henderson that can fill in if need be.

MauiRam

Rookie

Henry - 2nd
Chubb - 2nd
Jacobs - 1st
McCaffrey - 1st
Elliot - 1st
Carson - 7th
Cook - 2nd
Drake - 3rd
Mack - 4th
Barkley - 1st
Fournette - 1st

No running game = a gassed defense come the third quarter period! I have seen enough of that in years past. Conversely a good running game keeps opposing Ds on the field. And yes, I am nervous ...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dobbins is a great system fit and a good prospect, but I'd struggle using the #33 pick on a HB unless it was a guy who's pretty damn special. Dobbins doesn't strike me as special. I have to think on the other picks.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Henry - 2nd
Chubb - 2nd
Jacobs - 1st
McCaffrey - 1st
Elliot - 1st
Carson - 7th
Cook - 2nd
Drake - 3rd
Mack - 4th
Barkley - 1st
Fournette - 1st

The 49ers got to the Superbowl using the same ZBS as the Rams. They used a RB by committee and only 1 of the 3, Coleman, was a high draft pack...... Brieda and Mostert are both undrafted.
I can see drafting a RB high maybe for another team and another scheme, but the Rams don't need to use a high draft pick on a RB in order to keep scoring 30 points a game.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The 49ers got to the Superbowl using the same ZBS as the Rams. They used a RB by committee and only 1 of the 3, Coleman, was a high draft pack...... Brieda and Mostert are both undrafted.
I can see drafting a RB high maybe for another team and another scheme, but the Rams don't need to use a high draft pick on a RB in order to keep scoring 30 points a game.

There’s always an anomaly. Their defense should be noted for their success.