Former Ram Chris Long Donating Every Game Check

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Oowvk.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
Why are people complaining about a guy donating the majority of his yearly salary to charity?

Chris long is a good person. He sets a good example.
I wasn't complaining about Long, who does seem a bit insufferable at times, with my ridiculous comment.
However, we live in a society now that is overflowing with "virtue signaling". Folks that tweet, Facebook or just spew their perceived moral superiority all over the place. There is no point for other than putting an image out on social media (or traditional media if you are famous) of that preening. Look at how fantastic I am. Because we are drowning in this now....from an ignorant star/athlete spewing politics to someone in line at the store saying something is offensive.....I think this is what is bothersome about it to people.
Is this Longs purpose with this? I seriously doubt it. He seems like a genuine guy. It is hard to tell these days the folks who are genuine from those looking for PR moments.
I have known plenty of people (and have been one), as have most, who've done all sorts of good works. None of them felt the need to advertise it. But, it all takes money. Good on Long assuming he is genuine.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't complaining about Long, who does seem a bit insufferable at times, with my ridiculous comment.
However, we live in a society now that is overflowing with "virtue signaling". Folks that tweet, Facebook or just spew their perceived moral superiority all over the place. There is no point for other than putting an image out on social media (or traditional media if you are famous) of that preening. Look at how fantastic I am. Because we are drowning in this now....from an ignorant star/athlete spewing politics to someone in line at the store saying something is offensive.....I think this is what is bothersome about it to people.
Is this Longs purpose with this? I seriously doubt it. He seems like a genuine guy. It is hard to tell these days the folks who are genuine from those looking for PR moments.
I have known plenty of people (and have been one), as have most, who've done all sorts of good works. None of them felt the need to advertise it. But, it all takes money. Good on Long assuming he is genuine.
"Do the right thing, even when others aren't watching"

fearsomefour

Legend
Right.
Also, you know, always seem more of commitment to get in the trenches so to speak than cutting a check. But, it's all part of the same puzzle.
Again, I'm not doubting Longs' motivation.
I was trying to explain why I think there was a little backlash.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Can’t even tell if you’re serious. You sound like a degenerate human being and need to seek help immediately.
Please be nice! No Name calling! He's a ROD member and has a right to speak, even if he's wrong!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why are people complaining about a guy donating the majority of his yearly salary to charity?

Chris long is a good person. He sets a good example.

He's polarizing because he has supported the protests, he's taken some shit for it too.

I would like to see all the kneelers follow suit. IMO opinion educational and economic equality are the biggest challenges our country faces.

Many of them do, but it's hard for everyone to know what all the athletes do. Sometimes when I find out about an athletes charity or cause that they support it's news to me and I wonder why they don't use the platform they have more often to help their causes. People used to put the smackdown on Michael Jordan when he was the most famous person essentially in the entire world and he essentially said that he needed to sell shoes and that was more important.

Your last sentence is a core reason for the kneeling.

He's probably got enough clout to get some other guys to kick in some cash, which is fantastic. He's going public in an effort to get more donations and in this climate the timing is good because people want to help as much now as ever.

BadCompany

Rookie
He's probably got enough clout to get some other guys to kick in some cash, which is fantastic. He's going public in an effort to get more donations and in this climate the timing is good because people want to help as much now as ever.

Exactly. Imagine if JJ Watt had of just quietly donated money for hurricane relief, and not told anybody? How much did he eventually raise? Was it wrong of him to call attention to himself and his cause?

It's a little unclear to me if Whitworth is donating to the same cause as Long, but it seems pretty apparent that Long's public donation at least inspired him to do something similar. If others also jump on the cause then mission accomplished, right?

BadCompany

Rookie
You beat me to it. This is an example of how you unite and not divide. Regardless of where you stand on the anthem thing, it has created a divide. The actions of Long is an action that should unite. I would like to see all the kneelers follow suit. IMO opinion educational and economic equality are the biggest challenges our country faces. Long has always been a class act and his actions here prove it.

In fairness to Colin Kaepernick, he does as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-by-players-union-for-charity-work/105645590/

Colin Kaepernick honored by players' union for charity work

WASHINGTON (AP) — The NFL players' union has honored Colin Kaepernick for his charitable contributions.

Kaepernick has been outspoken on issues of racial and social justice. The free-agent quarterback became a polarizing figure among NFL fans for his decision to sit, and then kneel, during the national anthem last season to protest police brutality.

He remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the 49ers.

That didn't stop the NFL Players Association from naming him its Community MVP for Week 1 this season. The union announced Friday that on Sept. 7, Kaepernick gave $25,000 each to four charities, part of his pledge last year to donate $1 million to organizations working in oppressed communities.

The groups are DREAM, which provides after-school activities and sports opportunities to New York youth; Coalition for the Homeless; The Gathering for Justice's War on Children, a program meant to reduce child incarceration that will launch next year; and United We Dream, which advocates for young immigrants.

The union says Kaepernick has given $900,000 of his $1 million goal.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Can’t even tell if you’re serious. You sound like a degenerate human being and need to seek help immediately.
Do I really, STLRam? Thanks for your diagnosis.

I think @fearsomefour said it best in his post. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Chris, but doing the action is one thing. Making grand announcements and press releases is a completely different action.

I do applaud Chris for wanting to bring people together, rather than divide. I give him credit for that. I do think he is sincere.

But I suppose I am still a bit upset with him for his earlier statements, helping justify some false narratives about the police, and the people responsible for the violence in Charlottesville. (Let's not relitigate that) He became kind of a useful idiot for some people that are trying to tear down our society. Not cool.

how is helping kids get educated not helping ...does it not help them maybe get to college so they dont have to join a gang and become a murderer or be murdered

and he is helping the cities he HAS a connection to/played in .... maybe the bears players should donate their game checks to that cause in their city
How is sending kids to failing schools "educating" them? Did you read what I said?

You beat me to it. This is an example of how you unite and not divide. Regardless of where you stand on the anthem thing, it has created a divide. The actions of Long is an action that should unite. I would like to see all the kneelers follow suit. IMO opinion educational and economic equality are the biggest challenges our country faces. Long has always been a class act and his actions here prove it.
Agreed. This is where I should have focused. Chris may have had some things wrong earlier, but his actions are evidence of someone who does care, and wants to make a positive difference.

Well said.

Sorry to all of those I may have offended slamming Chris. In retrospect, I was a bit harsh, and should have focused on the good.

Edit: As long as this money is not going to some BLM group or affiliated group. That bears watching.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Please be nice! No Name calling! He's a ROD member and has a right to speak, even if he's wrong!
Thanks Dave. I think the bulk of what I said what right, but it got lost in my tone. For that I apologized. Chris was one of my favorite players his first few years here. I shouldn't have made the disparaging remarks about his play. He is a warrior, and I know he played through injuries his last few years.

His actions are awesome, unprecedented, really, as long as, just like any charity, the money is put in the right hands. The cities I noted are desperate for help, but all inner cites could use some help.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Exactly. Imagine if JJ Watt had of just quietly donated money for hurricane relief, and not told anybody? How much did he eventually raise? Was it wrong of him to call attention to himself and his cause?

37MIL...........it was amazing how he was able to get people to step up like that. That money is going to help a lot of people get their lives back on track.

Unless you are "in it" describing the after effects is difficult. At least from the economics and how it changes lives.

Here in FL a lot of people are still not back from Irma. The cleanup is going to take many more months, people in many cases no longer have a job, in fact I ended up losing mine but was able to go to work for someone I used to work for that has remained a friend. Lucky timing. But a lot of people aren't that lucky. The Keys will never be the same I suspect.

What Watt did was fantastic and I hope Long sees that level of success.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
CLong is a smart motherfreaker.
Hey now! He scored a 34 on the wonderlic. LOL
JJ Watt-31

and that ...my fellow Rams brothers is how you make a difference in this world and not like that a little b*tch that kneels down looking like is ready to give a BJ!
Kaep is changing the league....And sacrificed his career for the cause. I find it odd that you'd call such a man a bitch.
Pretty sure you'd never say it to his face.
You know, the most prevalent way to make social changes are violent uprisings. I'm sure you'd have preferred him to raise an army.
That didn't stop the NFL Players Association from naming him its Community MVP for Week 1 this season. The union announced Friday that on Sept. 7, Kaepernick gave $25,000 each to four charities, part of his pledge last year to donate $1 million to organizations working in oppressed communities.

The groups are DREAM, which provides after-school activities and sports opportunities to New York youth; Coalition for the Homeless; The Gathering for Justice's War on Children, a program meant to reduce child incarceration that will launch next year; and United We Dream, which advocates for young immigrants.

The union says Kaepernick has given $900,000 of his $1 million goal.
This is for Rammer....and Farr Be It....

But I suppose I am still a bit upset with him for his earlier statements, helping justify some false narratives about the police, and the people responsible for the violence in Charlottesville.
Chris Long went to school in Charlottesville...or did he grow up there? What did he justify? Guys that attack truly good people amaze me...it kinda sickens me that we live in a world where a guy can do good, yet some will still try an attack a good person. I know people...that talk poorly about older guys that get really philanthropic in their advanced age. I say, at least they did SOMETHING, before their time on earth passed by. Chris is at least doing something. He has made plenty of money....and actually sees there are areas he can impact and goes out and does something. The world is a better place because of him. You can't see this?

I don't know where you guys live....don't know what you do...but trust me, the police are getting outta control...It's not just the ones that shoot, beat, or harass minorities....It's also the ones that cover it up...or TEACH the others how to perpetuate this cycle of inequality. Imagine growing up harassed, and how you'd feel about a certain group after years of this? Until you live under this type of stress...you won't know how it effects each an every individual.

I'm happy they have found a peaceful way to address all that goes on in cities. I'd hate to see what would happen if more radical ideas were allowed to surface.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
What did he justify?

Champ, I better not fully answer that. Let's just say he was a "Useful Idiot" for the Antifa violent groups that are trying to tear this country apart.

Beyond that, I think he has a good heart, and is doing things now that are the solutions. So I will focus on that.