For those who lament no 1st rounder means despair

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No worries Maxie, I know you have faith in Les Snead to find the diamonds in the rough.View attachment 32065
This is Sneads resume on finding OL'ers since he was hired in 2012. His 8 yr body of work on his abilities & skills to find diamonds in the rough is laid out below....the evidence is out in full view.

5th rd.\Rokevious Watkins/ Cut
4th rd.\Barrett Jones/ Cut
7th rd.\Demetrius Rhaney /Cut
6th rd.\Mitchell Van Dyk /Cut
1st rd.\Greg Robinson /Cut
5th rd.\Cody Wichmann / Cut
4th rd.\Andrew Donnal/ Cut
3rd rd.\Jamon Brown /Cut
2nd rd.\Rob Havenstein /Starter
6th rd.\Jamil Demby /Reserve
4th rd.\Brian Allen /IR
3rd rd.\Joe Noteboom /IR
3rd rd.\Bobby Evans /Reserve
5th rd.\David Edwards /Starter

Most likely ROD does not want my opinion on the evidence above. So I will :censored:

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
not saying this was a bad trade but if you look at it as we gave up two firsts and a 4th and possibly a player or two due to cap it is at the very least questionable. if it was such a good deal why didn't a team with more cap space out bid us. I do hope we did make a great trade just not as sure as some of you are.
I feel the same way. With the money we will have to spend to keep Ramsey, we could likely re-sign Littleton and Zuerlein without touching the $26 million or so in 2020 cap room . We could have used the 2020 first round pick on an offensive lineman and the one in 2021 on a corner who could contribute right away. And I'm not even counting the fourth rounder. We really did give up three or four players for Ramsey, he better be worth it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is Sneads resume on finding OL'ers since he was hired in 2012. His 8 yr body of work on his abilities & skills to find diamonds in the rough is laid out below....the evidence is out in full view.

3rd rd.\Jamon Brown /Cut
4th rd.\Brian Allen /IR
3rd rd.\Joe Noteboom /IR

Most likely ROD does not want my opinion on the evidence above. So I will :censored:

You should probably mention that he also brought in Whitworth, Sullivan, and Blythe. The former has been pretty solid, age is his biggest issue. Sullivan and Blythe were good for all of 2017 and most of 2018, but faded at the end. But for the bulk of two seasons, we have one of the best OLs in the league, and if Snead is going to get the blame for the guys you listed above, he also has to get credit for that.

As for those drafted pre-McVay, you have to give Fisher credit/blame where it is due since he at least had a huge hand in that, and should also consider Boudreau's abysmal record in developing them. About the only good thing Boudreau did in his most recent stint with the Rams is move Saffold to guard.

I personally think they were a bit too quick to cut Brown.

And for Noteboom and Allen, I think the grade is incomplete at this point. Their being on IR says nothing about Snead's ability to evaluate OL talent. Noteboom had less than a half season of starts and was out of position, while Allen had one game more than a half season before going to IR.

Similarly, it is too early to make any determination about Evans and Edwards.

Fact is, very few rookies at OL, even high first rounders, come in and make an immediate impact. Orlando Pace didn't look that great his rookie year, and was far from a finished product in his second year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And back then I just thought the Rams would always have a great Offensive Line.

Between the time I started following the Rams and throughout the 1980's to the very end, I thought it was a law or a birthright that the Rams had a stout OL. They always seems to have big, strong maulers who could open running lane against just about any D and were at least above average at pass blocking. Were is so easy now as it was then ...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

3rd rd.\Jamon Brown /Cut
4th rd.\Brian Allen /IR
3rd rd.\Joe Noteboom /IR

Yeah that is goddamn ugly. The last three might turn that around but for now we can't count on that.

And re: the veteran acquisitions the big hit for Snead was Whit. Sully was a guy McVay knew well and was only a stopgap. Blythe was a scrub cut who played over his head up until teams realized he was a scrub and has been trucked since.

Les Snead has this offseason to get the OL right. If he effs it up he's done and I think he knows that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes we can, but will we? Or will we continue to draft marginal offensive line talent in the fourth and fifth rounds with the expectation that Kromer can turn them into quality starters? None of that has worked out so far.

Eh, Noteboom looked good at OT. He obviously didn't at OG this year. And Edwards has stepped in well for us. Allen has obviously been a major disappointment. We'll see on Evans.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Snead has made some great picks but not on the OL.

Does free agency give GMs credit? Would say the acquisitions of Whitworth and Sullivan for the 2017-18 seasons were home runs. His draft acquisitions have been glaringly hit or miss though, especially a miss with GRob but he still made due with Havenstein (he's a hit imo with his impact during parts of his rookie year and 2017-18 season) and Jamon Brown.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
I feel like your case would be even better made with the search at hand: OL. Show the OL moves we've made in the early rounds. Laughable over the years.

Orlando Pace, Jackie Slater, where are you my friends?
Pace ? Slater ? Hell, right now I would settle for a Bern Brostek !

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

3rd rd.\Jamon Brown /Cut
4th rd.\Brian Allen /IR
3rd rd.\Joe Noteboom /IR

I would think the OL coach had a lot to do with those picks. I can remember stories of our OL coaches working guys out. We just read that Kromer scouted Corbitt two yrs ago, went to his pro day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m happy with the Ramsey pick, it’s rare to find a player of his quality even with a top ten pick. It’s a good trade. But the flip side is that this team has some obvious holes on the Oline and the mid round answers that the coaches and GM were banking on aren’t working. So if they don’t have first round picks to fix the Oline then will we see more Noteboom’s and Allen’s being counted on to fix the biggest weakness on the team?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m happy with the Ramsey pick, it’s rare to find a player of his quality even with a top ten pick. It’s a good trade. But the flip side is that this team has some obvious holes on the Oline and the mid round answers that the coaches and GM were banking on aren’t working. So if they don’t have first round picks to fix the Oline then will we see more Noteboom’s and Allen’s being counted on to fix the biggest weakness on the team?
We have a 2nd rounder, don't we?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We have a 2nd rounder, don't we?

Snead will trade back and turn it into two fourths and a fifth, so he can draft more below average Olinemen and depth players.

Seriously though, they supposedly liked Elgton Jenkins in round two, and they got jumped by Green Bay. Jenkins is playing great. So, did they have a leak, or did they just feel that Jenkins wasn't first round value and they could get him later. This has Bobby Wagner written all over it. Snead still making the same mistakes 6 years later.

And Taylor Rapp is pretty good, but I don't think he is making as big an impact at safety as Jenkins could at OLine.

I guess I am losing faith in Trader Les. Amassing late round picks is a waste of time when you consider the success rate.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eh, Noteboom looked good at OT. He obviously didn't at OG this year. And Edwards has stepped in well for us. Allen has obviously been a major disappointment. We'll see on Evans.
I think all of them have a shot to be good except Allen, he’s not the answer. We need a legit OC.