For the Memory of Our Brave Warriors

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
As we all spend time with our families today, I am reminded of Dale. Dale is my neighbor down the street. I will be throwing some steaks on my grill later, and maybe tilting a beer or two. My three sons may be coming by, to hang out with us. We are so blessed to be free.

One of Dale's sons won't be with him today. It is a somber day at the Giffords home. Micah was one of our brave soldiers who gave his life for our freedoms. "No greater love is this: that a man lay down his life for his friends." And so we acknowledge our local hero. Flowers, or a note. Or a hug if you dare.

a Soldier-At-Arlington-National-Cemetary.jpg

One of the greatest honors of my life was my time in D.C. as part of the Honor Guard. I didn't have to brace for battle. I didn't have to have that final note of love tucked in my breast pocket. Just in case.

I just had to make sure my hat was clean. My brass clickers were polished. I had a good tuck, and my rifle movements were crisp and timely to the commands. Three shots. Seven guys. Make it sound like one, to honor the family in the folding chairs nearby.

Arlington is a beautiful, horrible place to be sometimes.

ath95BI3JZ3.jpg

Nearby, the body bearers march with the precious man of honor. He's not heavy. He's our brother.

anbbruckenthal-funeral-services-photo-07.jpg

Nobody wanted it this way. This soldier should be standing with us in the chow line, making jokes. "Shit on a shingle again!" But here he will lie. Make no doubt, though. The body will be buried. But the soul and spirit will soar on wings, like eagles!

140814-gen-harold-greene-funeral-1701_90316833c67162a92e0f45df07c738cc.jpg

Wives and mothers will grieve. Kids will look at their lost dad or mom only through the picture frame on the wall by the folded flag. Memories fade. Cling to them.

arlington-national-cemetery-funeral-schedule.jpg

The best way we can honor our lost brothers is to live a good life. Laugh and dream. Work hard, and give of ourselves. Step in to right a wrong. Do the toughest chore, and ask for no payment. Payment enough.

Say you are sorry to someone today. Soothe a rift. You were kinda wrong, anyway.:love:

arlington-national-cemetery_5.jpg

Reach out to a soldier or first responder today. Tell them you are grateful. Seek a Gold Star family in your area, and give them a note, or a show of your love.

arlington-opelka-1920-1280x720.jpg

Freedom IS fragile. And pretty awesome. Pray for those in the world that do not enjoy our freedoms.

We get enough freedom to appreciate our Rams. Some fight for survival today. Pretty embarrassing. Not to make anyone feel bad. just grateful. Maybe redirect some of our time.

aasoldier.jpg

Thanks guys! Enjoy your families today! List some thoughts, and stories of soldiers you are grateful for, if you get a moment.

And for those that served- Thank you.

160530121143-02-memorial-day-530-super-169.jpg

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My Grandfather arrived off the shores of Iwo Jima on a Victory ship called the USS Mifflin. This very ship.
EPJhwO1.png

He landed ashore with the 4th Division on Feb. 19, 1945. There were 20,000 plus Japanese soldiers (unlike the predicted 5,000 number), who were told that their job was to kill 10 American Marines each before they were allowed to die. The tunnel networks were extensive, and they would not surrender, forcing the Marines to kill them one by one. Grandpa went through hell, but saw the flag raised on Mt. Surabachi on Feb, 23. A cheer went up throughout the island when weary Marines saw the flag.
DanEXAS.png

He and his fellow Marines, fought hunger, thirst, and even had to defecate in their pants because standing probably would get them killed. Gramps was shot by a "jap" sniper on March 6th, 1945, as he ran for ammunition. He lost a lung that day, but made it back home to his family after much rehabilitation. He lived until 1983, while I was in my first year in the Navy. He was proud of my being in the military, I think. I know that I am proud of the imperfect man that served his country, and I treasure the Purple Heart he earned on that faraway Pacific island. He was a hero.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

-Winston Churchill (or George Orwell)
Both have been credited.