Foods that aren’t the same as they used to be

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Perhaps I was more conscious of what I personally ate because of my interest in restaurant/hospitality as a career choice and avocation. I eliminated high fructose syrups/corn sweeteners from my diet years ago, and as prevalent as this 'poison' is, that wasn't easy to do. Not many guys I know would check ingredient labels, I make it a habit.

Sinclair Lewis had a big impact on me as some of his writings were required reading, and 'The Jungle' was especially disturbing. Regulations in general fall into a political quagmire which I won't go into here, although admittedly, I side with progressives in most events.
The healthier the food, it's often accompanied by increased direct costs, but what's overlooked is the future societal costs of healthcare resulting from childhood obesity, diabetes, liver disease, stroke, heart disease, etc.
I actually favor a 'sugar tax', although this is sacrilege for many Americans, and i'm quite aware that i'm in the minority. jmo.
Totally agree. I'm very similar, I took nutrition/culinary classes in HS and have been working in the industry since then. I will indulge myself, but I know that moderation is key and I also know that I'm not an accurate representation of people my age or society in general.

Never actually read "The Jungle", it's on a long list of "need to reads" but know of it and find the subject matter both fascinating and terrifying. Food regulations are wild, a few months back I was reading about how sawdust is added to foods and is labeled as "cellulose".

…..

Legend
Here's a bit of true history you may not know...

The bananas we eat today are extremely different than the bananas my grandparents ate.

Pre 1965, all bananas eaten in the US were the Gros Michel species. Apparently, those bananas make our bananas today taste unbearably bland by comparison.

Gros Michel bananas were almost made extinct from the Panama Disease. So a genetically modified banana was created that is resistant to this disease.

All the bananas we eat today are a clone from the same plant. Now, the bananas you buy in your grocery stores are Cavendish bananas. Most of us will never experience the true taste of a real banana like our grandparents did. Although... there are still places in South America where you can apparently still find the original Gros Michel.
Hmmmm....

I used to always keep bananas around. But now after my Covid bout where they were the only thing I ate for a few days, they no longer appeal to me at all and I even start to get nausested when I think of them.

Im literally like “Am I really affected like....forever?!!?”

Maybe....juuust maybe this could be the answer!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that "kids these days" aren't as active, adults too, I just don't think that it's the sole reason. I also lived it, but I also know that food has changed and fast food places are also more prevalent now. You grew up in a time where there was probably less additives pumped into your food and definitely less fast food places to go to. I bet that there was maybe one in your town or a few towns over and it was a special treat to go to it.
We had almost as many options in the 70's and 80's for fast food in Northern California and SoCal than I currently have in the smallish Kansas town in which I live today. Yet, today kids are often not able to be physically fit enough to join the military ay 18yrs old. wtf? I was no super athlete or anything when I was in high school, but I actually prepared myself to run 3 miles a day in less than 20 minutes. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc... Turns out I was overtrained and actually was in worse shape after boot camp than I was before it.
Yeah, I don't like the additives etc...that they put in foods today, but there is much less of a culture of sport/physical fitness than there used to be. Can it be fixed? Probably not. Hell, it's comfortable sitting at my laptop chatting with you in the A/C than going outside to play tennis/softball, etc... so I suffer from the same inactivity that I point toward kids today. Society has grown soft, imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sinclair Lewis had a big impact on me as some of his writings were required reading, and 'The Jungle' was especially disturbing.
Upton Sinclair wrote "The Jungle" in 1906, I think things are a bit better than back then..... Lol

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Upton Sinclair wrote "The Jungle" in 1906, I think things are a bit better than back then..... Lol

Well, I'd certainly hope so, ... my point isn't to claim that everything is the same today as it was when his novel was published, but to hint that corruption, lack of regulations or deregulation is still something we battle with on an almost daily basis with regards to those that have power and those that do not. Progress comes in 'baby' steps as much of the population is convinced that meaningful change is unnecessary by the elites who control the pursestrings. jmo.
And yes, it was Upton Sinclair, not Sinclair Lewis, my apologies for the brain fart on that one.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I'd certainly hope so, ... my point isn't to claim that everything is the same today as it was when his novel was published, but to hint that corruption, lack of regulations or deregulation is still something we battle with on an almost daily basis with regards to those that have power and those that do not. Progress comes in 'baby' steps as much of the population is convinced that meaningful change is unnecessary by the elites who control the pursestrings. jmo.
And yes, it was Upton Sinclair, not Sinclair Lewis, my apologies for the brain fart on that one.
I wasnt correcting you man, we've just had some similar paths and I was just reminiscing about that pain....
I have had the pleasure of training and administrating Servsafe, Haccp and OSHA standards/practices, and how imparting the fear of god in to the staff was sometimes necessary in order to get compliance. Alas, again, meant no offense so my apologies if it came out that way

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The following article is off-topic, although i've read some posts where some of ROD's membership have spoken to being, large, overweight, and possibly obese. I've scoured the Off-Topic thread and couldn't find anything pertaining to the issue, and didn't wish to start a new thread. I'm not large that way nor do I suffer diabetes or any diseases that may relate to size or shape as far as I'm aware, but apparently there is a new drug which is being tested that has shown remarkable success in the treatment of obesity. I realize that diabetes isn't always or necessarily a result of being overweight, and this article doesn't mention whether its trials have associated rapid weight loss to other medical conditions which may have some relation, but hopefully it's helpful and might offer a worthy conversation between those afflicted and your doctor.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scientifically proven food that when eaten by women will lower sex drive
It's called:
Wedding cake

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Scientifically proven food that when eaten by women will lower sex drive
It's called:
Wedding cake

No joke wedding cake is fucking gross. Why the hell do they always have that jelly squirt in it?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not that they are different. But rootbeer popsicles...where the fuck did they go? I loved those things.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Subway sucks. It was fantastic up until around idk 10-15 yrs ago or whenever they changed the bread. Nasty bread and it smells.

@CGI_Ram yeah Big Macs suck now. Dry as fuck.

Taco Bell had a thing called an enchirito. They discontinued it. It was GOOD.

I believe that Chocodiles are gone too since Hostess sold out or changed hands or whatever. Their fruit pies suck now, twinkees are still okay. Chocodiles were only sold in certain markets. Its a twinkee with that ding dong chocolate coating. Incredible.
iu

Now they sell them as chocolate twinkees but the chocolate tastes fake.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Subway sucks. It was fantastic up until around idk 10-15 yrs ago or whenever they changed the bread. Nasty bread and it smells.

I believe that Chocodiles are gone too since Hostess sold out or changed hands or whatever. Their fruit pies suck now, twinkees are still okay. Chocodiles were only sold in certain markets. Its a twinkee with that ding dong chocolate coating. Incredible.
iu

Choco-diles were great. They tasted like a vanilla ding dong in some ways.

I loved those.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

iu

Forgot about Chocodiles. I loved those. I always thought Twinkies were nothing but sweet. That chocolate coating changed everything.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was a Hostess Factory in the town I grew up in, and attached to it was a store that sold all the products. Was like heaven. When I was a youngster we went on a tour of the factory and saw Twinkies being stuffed, packaged and boxed. Was Amazing! The baked Wonder Bread there also.
Whenever you drove thru that part of town, you could smell the sweet smells of the bakery when you got close by. Sadly, the factory closed some 25 years ago, but I swear if you're heading thru that part of town, and you close your eyes you can still smell it.....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There was a Hostess Factory in the town I grew up in, and attached to it was a store that sold all the products. Was like heaven. When I was a youngster we went on a tour of the factory and saw Twinkies being stuffed, packaged and boxed. Was Amazing! The baked Wonder Bread there also.
Whenever you drove thru that part of town, you could smell the sweet smells of the bakery when you got close by. Sadly, the factory closed some 25 years ago, but I swear if you're heading thru that part of town, and you close your eyes you can still smell it.....
I used to maintain some properties next to one in Portland, OR. LOVED that smell in the air. I never went on a tour unfortunately, and that one too closed some time ago.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to maintain some properties next to one in Portland, OR. LOVED that smell in the air. I never went on a tour unfortunately, and that one too closed some time ago.
We have one of the few Hostess Plants in the country still operating in Kansas and it does smell good...