Foods that aren’t the same as they used to be

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was thinking earlier that I still like some of the breakfast cereals I’d eat as a kid. Fruit Loops, stuff like that.

But... It got me thinking... those aren‘t the same as they used to be. They were more frosted back then.

Same with Frosted Flakes... those babies used to be nearly white with frosting!
:alol:

Have Big Mac’s really gotten smaller? Or is that just our bad memories and bigger stomachs?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Tomatoes.
It's so hard to find good tomatoes in the store anymore. Even in the summer.

I dont know first hand, but older people say Chickens don't have the same flavor they use to.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Here's a bit of true history you may not know...

The bananas we eat today are extremely different than the bananas my grandparents ate.

Pre 1965, all bananas eaten in the US were the Gros Michel species. Apparently, those bananas make our bananas today taste unbearably bland by comparison.

Gros Michel bananas were almost made extinct from the Panama Disease. So a genetically modified banana was created that is resistant to this disease.

All the bananas we eat today are a clone from the same plant. Now, the bananas you buy in your grocery stores are Cavendish bananas. Most of us will never experience the true taste of a real banana like our grandparents did. Although... there are still places in South America where you can apparently still find the original Gros Michel.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Here's a bit of true history you may not know...

The bananas we eat today are extremely different than the bananas my grandparents ate.

Pre 1965, all bananas eaten in the US were the Gros Michel species. Apparently, those bananas make our bananas today taste unbearably bland by comparison.

Gros Michel bananas were almost made extinct from the Panama Disease. So a genetically modified banana was created that is resistant to this disease.

All the bananas we eat today are a clone from the same plant. Now, the bananas you buy in your grocery stores are Cavendish bananas. Most of us will never experience the true taste of a real banana like our grandparents did. Although... there are still places in South America where you can apparently still find the original Gros Michel.
And they used to be full of seeds.
1620315190320.png

Many commercial foods and livestock have been altered throughout the decades to breed bigger, cheaper, higher yield products.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wha...ore-genetic-modification-2016-1#wild-banana-3

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Taco Bell. Something about their meat. I cant stand their hamburger. It used to be good. Maybe it was the switch from horse to cow-like meat. Lol

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Scooter pies. I used to love them as a kid. Now they taste like waxy dust.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
not a food , but 7UP doesn't taste anything like it used to

s-l640.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've always wondered whether the sustained use of hormones/additives in meat and dairy might alter taste somewhat ?

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Kraft mac and cheese. The new Dunkaroos. Trix.

I still love Fruit Loops. They are the GOAT cereal. CTT is overrated sorry not sorry.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CTT is overrated sorry not sorry.
Ok, gotta ask. What's CTT?
Couple of mixed thoughts on this....
-McDonalds fries are still the best FF fries out there but they were so much better when they were fried in lard.
-The McRib sandwich when it was first out, was soooooo good. They used to simmer them in a vat of bbq sauce, no longer. Still tasty, but nothing like they used to be
-Twinkies, Ring Dings and Ho Hos. Half the size they used to be, and with all the preservatives and chemicals, probably twice as bad for you
-Roy Rogers, as a kid they used to be able to serve the RB in a rare-mid rare state. Was sooo good. Then the whole Jack in the Box e-coli nightmare happened and all burgers/meats needed to be cooked to death

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
-McDonalds fries are still the best FF fries out there but they were so much better when they were fried in lard.
-The McRib sandwich when it was first out, was soooooo good. They used to simmer them in a vat of bbq sauce, no longer. Still tasty, but nothing like they used to be
-Twinkies, Ring Dings and Ho Hos. Half the size they used to be, and with all the preservatives and chemicals, probably twice as bad for you
-Roy Rogers, as a kid they used to be able to serve the RB in a rare-mid rare state. Was sooo good. Then the whole Jack in the Box e-coli nightmare happened and all burgers/meats needed to be cooked to death
Agree with all that and have no idea what CTT is either. Ding Dongs are another that is tiny now. AND they no longer are wrapped in foil. Seems silly but I always liked those wonderful chocolatey foil wrapped cakes of joy. The chocolate is also really waxy now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

It was a typo. Mean to say CTC. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Good, but completely overrated.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Used to have egg mcmuffins or sausage mcmuffins all the time when I was younger. Had one the other day and almost got sick about half way through it.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Baskin Robbins chocolate chip ice cream. Used to love it. Now...it’s not the same.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Watermelons are better. IMHO some other fruits have gotten better from the Frankenstein tinkering... grapes, strawberries, blueberries, for example... bigger, plumper, juicier.

And yea, with those lat 3 adjectives, I know what you're thinking. Back to the Boobies thread...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree with all that and have no idea what CTT is either. Ding Dongs are another that is tiny now. AND they no longer are wrapped in foil. Seems silly but I always liked those wonderful chocolatey foil wrapped cakes of joy. The chocolate is also really waxy now.

It was always kind of waxy, I think to keep it from melting in your fingers and lunchbox too much. But yeah... the foil is gone so I bet the chocolate has been modified too.

Ding Dongs were my favorite lunchbox snack back in the day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chickens today are bred to be much larger than they used to be. Maybe bigger isn't exactly better.

View attachment 45319

https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/2/6875031/chickens-breeding-farming-boilers-giant

Thats crazy.

And... we’ve increased the health problems of chickens, leading to rising medical costs.

Modern chickens also have extra health problems: Previous research has noted increased bone, heart, and immune system problems in some contemporary chicken breeds. Health problems could come from several factors, including both unintentional genetic effects and behavioral differences such as diet and carrying around all that extra weight.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
McDonalds fries are still the best FF fries out there but they were so much better when they were fried in lard
I also believe they were sued, for using beef flavoring on their fries.

We had this cat in the late 70's, that would go crazy when we brought home McDonald's. It wanted the fries and it wouldn't calm down until he got some.
He only did this for McDonald's fries.

Psycho_X

Legend
I was thinking earlier that I still like some of the breakfast cereals I’d eat as a kid. Fruit Loops, stuff like that.

But... It got me thinking... those aren‘t the same as they used to be. They were more frosted back then.

Same with Frosted Flakes... those babies used to be nearly white with frosting!
:alol:

Have Big Mac’s really gotten smaller? Or is that just our bad memories and bigger stomachs?

Everything's gotten smaller, it's frustrating. Make things smaller and charge the same or more to make it look like you're not raising prices seems to be the only way to improve your margins these days. I got a box of granola bars the other day and when I took one out it was the size of my damn thumb. Just charge me more damn't... I want a fucking granola BAR not a granola bite.

I miss everything my farmer grandparents used to make. Made their own jelly so I've never had as good of PBJ as I did when I was a kid at their house. And my grandma made all of her cookies with lard of course. Fuck those were amazing. I haven't had a cookie as good as hers in decades.

I also believe they were sued, for using beef flavoring on their fries.

We had this cat in the late 70's, that would go crazy when we brought home McDonald's. It wanted the fries and it wouldn't calm down until he got some.
He only did this for McDonald's fries.

Was this your cat?
fat cat GIF