Florida Gators EDGE Jachai Polite: “Los Angeles Rams were my best meeting”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm with Mack. Polite is a gifted, natural pass rusher. If he falls to us, you don't pass on that. All of this bullcrap about him lacking the work ethic and drive isn't reflected in his film. It's also notable that he never said he doesn't watch film. He says he doesn't watch film of himself. I disagree with that approach, but it's a far cry from refusing to watch any film at all.

Same reason we capitalize OL. It's a position. It's used to denote players who can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE.

But we don't write SAFETY!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Actually, some do.

However, for uniformity, all positions, be they named or abbreviations are capitalized in player evals.

EDGE is a recent conflation of 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE as some guys can do both. Now, if a guy is really only suited for one, like say a guy who's 6'3" 235, then he'd be an EDGE, but it would be noted that he was suited for the 3-4 OLB role.

Makes it easier to see the roles when they are in all caps. It'd be all to easy to lose the Edge role as opposed to DE, DT, OLB, etc.
Like I said, I've never seen anyone write CORNER or SAFETY in their player evaluations and that it also a full word used as an abbreviation of a full position name. For some reason we test Edge uniquely and it's dumb. Try all you want, but it's still dumb. Find an acronym, write it normally, or admit it makes no sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Same reason we capitalize OL. It's a position. It's used to denote players who can play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE.

EDGE is short for Edge Rusher.
Yeah... neither of these hold water.
Like I said, I've never seen anyone write CORNER or SAFETY in their player evaluations and that it also a full word used as an abbreviation of a full position name. For some reason we test Edge uniquely and it's dumb. Try all you want, but it's still dumb. Find an acronym, write it normally, or admit it makes no sense.
Exactly.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't care. I explained why it's capitalized. This isn't a debate. Y'all can choose not to use it.
Why it's capitalized isn't a debate. That the reason why it's capitalized doesn't make sense also isn't a debate.

Look at that, we're both right. Win-win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why it's capitalized isn't a debate. That the reason why it's capitalized doesn't make sense also isn't a debate.

Look at that, we're both right. Win-win.

Cool. It doesn't have to make sense to you. It just is. Y'all can choose whether or not to use it. I'm going to continue to use it because it makes sense to me and most of the football world. :LOL: :p

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
OK, so when does the debate start about whether to consider another Gator, Jordan Scarlett , as a back-up RB?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of this dude. At all. Would not touch him until you get into that mid round range, at best.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK, so when does the debate start about whether to consider another Gator, Jordan Scarlett , as a back-up RB?

Don't.

Not a fan of this dude. At all. Would not touch him until you get into that mid round range, at best.

If he's there at #31, it's hard for me to pass. He's an extraordinarily gifted pass rusher. His strengths and weaknesses are essentially identical to DeMarcus Lawrence coming out of college.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ms-realistic-targets-prospects-first-round/8/

Florida EDGE Jachai Polite

By: Cameron DaSilva | March 27, 2019

usatsi_11341058.jpg

Polite has seen his draft stock plummet as a result of the NFL combine where his media session was questionable and his performance on the field was underwhelming. His comments about teams “bashing” him in interviews raised some eyebrows, but he mentioned the Rams as his favorite meeting. Of course, he can’t pick which team he goes to, but it at least sounds like the interview went fairly well.

Polite has a good chance to be around when the Rams go on the clock and while he’s a tier below the top pass rushers, he could still be a rotational player early on and allow Los Angeles to utilize Clay Matthews’ versatility as an inside linebacker, too.

UPDATE: Polite suffered a quad/hamstring injury at Florida’s pro day, hurting his stock even more. A strong pro day performance could’ve dramatically helped his stock, but it did just the opposite.

The Rams should no longer consider him at No. 31 and he could slide late into Day 2 or early in Day 3.

#Gators DE Jachai Polite getting his right quad/hamstring wrapped with ice. Looks like his day is done.

— Graham Hall (@GrahamHall_) March 27, 2019

Heard the number is 4.96… What is Polite doing this pre-draft process? I think he’s going to be available Day 3. https://t.co/TtfUfjmv68

— Jonah Tuls (@JonahTulsNFL) March 27, 2019

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I like this kids game but questions keep popping up. Maybe he’s this years faller in the draft and we can get a great value from him and he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and works his butt off being appreciative to us for drafting him.

Ram65

Legend
Have to wonder how he looked physically at his pro day. Did he look like he was in shape? It's been a month since the combine so I wonder if he was working out hard for his pro day or not. Hammy's happen but, if it was because he is out of shape that could be the final red flag. Rams need to know what's going on inside his head before making a commitment in any round.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Biggest Boom-or-Bust Players in the 2019 NFL Draft
Kristopher Knox March 30, 2019

Florida Edge Jachai Polite

1. 52a69313db540eea22f7480315f2b177_crop_exact.jpg

Florida's Jachai Polite is yet another edge-defender who comes with his fair share of question marks. He had solid production this past season—he amassed 11.0 sacks and 17.5 tackles for a loss—but he had just 2.0 sacks in each of the previous two.

In addition, Polite had a lackluster combine performance that raises the question of just how good he can be at the pro level. He mostly won with speed off the edge in college, but then he posted a 4.84-second 40 in Indianapolis. His interview also did not go well.

According to USA Today, "Polite might've had the worst NFL combine of all-time."

There's a lot to unpack with Polite, but this doesn't mean he lacks future NFL-star potential. It also doesn't mean teams won't take a chance on him sooner than later.

"Multiple team scouts maintain his talent is too good to overlook late in the first round," Bleacher Report draft analyst Matt Miller wrote of Polite.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be stoked to trade down and grab him in the second. He's a top 15 talent. Would have been a top 15 pick if not his terrible pre-draft process.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd be stoked to trade down and grab him in the second. He's a top 15 talent. Would have been a top 15 pick if not his terrible pre-draft process.
I agree it's obvious I have been tracking him since I keep posting stuff on him.

I do hope if we do not have a dynamic future starter available in the first selection that Snead will be quick to do trade down for an extra late 3rd round selection.

I would have no heartburn with the selection of JP with our new acquired middle to late 2nd rd selection. I thought that JP showed up @ the combine & his pro day @ UF, in soft & too heavy condition. Am I wrong?

I recall early in his career @ UF JP weighed 271 lbs & played as a reserve 3-technique DT. JP now is most likely heavier than Aaron Donald is now. JP did lose some 20 Lbs in order to play Strong Side 3-4 D OLB back in 2016. A reported drop to 242 lbs. That event "as the worm turns" lead to being named first-team All-SEC and second-team All-American afterward. I would think that his NFL playing lbs would be best between 245 & 250 lbs.

I would also be looking forward to the 2nd day when we have four rounds of ammo (three 3rd round picks) so Snead can move up down or wherever he wants to go in this draft.

Have you seen the below article @jrry32?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jachai-polite-awful-draft-process

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do hope if we do not have a dynamic future starter available in the first selection that Snead will be quick to do trade down for an extra late 3rd round selection.

Taking him in round 2 after a trade down and addition of a round 3 pick would soften the risk quite a bit. But I don't want to see us bust on our first early pick we've had in a while, I want a guy who comes in and makes an impact and improves our chances of going all the way. So even though it would be easier to accept us taking him if it's after a move-down, I'd rather they move down and take Winovich, or one of a couple good safety options, OL options, etc.

Talented guys whose hearts aren't in it are a huge bust risk in the draft. Look at that round 1 list of players and figure 40% at least will probably bust and at first glance it's hard to figure who they are. But while some will be medical, I think most of them will be simply because they got paid and think they arrived and otherwise aren't prepared for the grind and work to be great. So when you have a high end talent like Polite who doesn't seem to have the maturity or accountability you need at this level, proceed carefully in telling yourself you can make up for his weaknesses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Florida Gators EDGE Jachai Polite visiting Los Angeles Rams

Could the Rams address their pass rush group by adding one of the best available in the draft?
By Sosa Kremenjas Apr 3, 2019, 7:43pm C

1043213850.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by
Continuing along the pre-draft visit cycle, Florida Gators edge rusher Jachai Polite is visiting the Los Angeles Rams, per his own instagram:

Jachai Polite is visiting the Rams. Love this potential pairing pic.twitter.com/vawccl4Ggy

— Billy Marshall (@BillyM_91) April 3, 2019
This is an interesting visit because Polite mentioned at the NFL Scouting Combine that the Rams were “by far my best meeting”, stating that all other teams critiqued his game, while the Rams actually spent time looking at his positive plays.

In my first mock draft of the season, I actually had pegged Polite to the Rams with their first selection (after a trade down).

Polite was a highly productive college football pass rusher as he totaled 28.5 tackles-for-loss, 15 sacks, and six forced fumbles across three seasons in the swamp. Polite was a shoe-in for the first round, though some noted he might have had one of the worst combines ever:

Jachai Polite posted a poor #RAS at the Combine with poor speed and only average in his only completed explosion drill.

He reportedly suffered a hamstring injury, which was reinjured at his pro day. pic.twitter.com/0LIMLvg8A7

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 3, 2019
Polite showed up “small” by edge rusher standards, tested awfully in a few drills prior to hurting his hamstring, and interviewed awfully. Still, with all these red flags, Polite is one of the best and most productive pass rushers in the class.

Polite’s combine may actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Rams, because if they can use a later draft pick to select him, they could reap the rewards of a fantastic pass rusher for much cheaper than what everyone anticipated prior to the combine.