Flacco hearing footsteps?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can it fall at his feet when he says he picks all the players but the QB which he leaves up to the HC so he can get the guy for his system.

He's the GM. If he decides to delegate, that's his choice, but the buck stops with him.

And if you think McNabb was successful in the NFL we have different baselines LOL.

McNabb was a six-time Pro Bowler at QB. I don't know any other definition for his NFL career.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McNabb was a six-time Pro Bowler at QB. I don't know any other definition for his NFL career.

That's as big a mystery as Lynn Swann being in the HOF.

McNabb was a pretty average QB, and in the years he went to the pro bowl (other than the year Owens was there IIRC) he flat out did not deserve to go. He was on an excellent team and got credit for wins, but he wasn't a top QB and a couple of the years he went to the Pro Bowl he wasn't even top 15.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's as big a mystery as Lynn Swann being in the HOF.

McNabb was a pretty average QB, and in the years he went to the pro bowl (other than the year Owens was there IIRC) he flat out did not deserve to go. He was on an excellent team and got credit for wins, but he wasn't a top QB and a couple of the years he went to the Pro Bowl he wasn't even top 15.
Didn' McNabb help the Eagles go to like 5 straight NFC championship games plus a superbowl? That's not an easy feat. Yeah he never threw for 4000 yards in a season but in the end I'll take winning over stats.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pretty certain someone said that as well when RGIII and Kaepernick came into the league. The league tends to adjust after teams have studied enough tape on any new QB. I'll say this though, of all the QB's drafted recently he looks like he may be the most exciting to watch.
RGIII.....now, Champ don't do mental....I seriously don't know what happened to RGIII....I hated that knee injury vs Dallas...he just crumpled...

But....and I won't argue with this one PT....Colin Kaepernick can really play....one of the greatest games I ever saw was that playoff game in Green Bay by one Colin Kaep....If he can still do any of that, he's a top 10 QB

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Didn' McNabb help the Eagles go to like 5 straight NFC championship games plus a superbowl? That's not an easy feat. Yeah he never threw for 4000 yards in a season but in the end I'll take winning over stats.

He was the QB on the team that went to a handful of NFC title games. He didn't "lead them", all he did was not fuck it up. That was, IMO, McNabbs best talent..........he rarely turned the ball over.

As a passer he was mediocre.

Colin Kaepernick can really play....one of the greatest games I ever saw was that playoff game in Green Bay by one Colin Kaep....If he can still do any of that, he's a top 10 QB

I watched that game. I was astounded at the media slobbering over him. He does what HC's don't want their QB's to do for the most part. Pull down the ball and turn into a running back. He does it too often and it pretty much always ends up in an injury or three and shortens careers and hurts the teams chances.

He's an average passer and if he ever learns to stay on his side of the LOS he'd be able to start somewhere.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Did not know that. Still, I think that falls at Ozzie's feet. The buck stops with him.

It was an interesting interview. He has a close relationship with a local radio guy in CLE and would call into the show most weeks that the Ravens were playing the Browns. He was asked some pointed draft questions and one was about the QB's. He felt like it was better to let the HC make the call rather than push a selection on him that they may not want/like and have issues from the start.

Boller was Billick's guy, and while it was a miss Billick had some sway based on his success in MIN with the O there.

Another interesting takeaway was that unless there was dire need that he didn't think he could fill outside of the draft (trade, FA or UDFA) he almost always decided to pick the player that they thought was BPA. He said he felt like it would be rare that the best players available year after year would be at the same position.

It sounded smart to me.

Calling the deal with Flacco a blunder isn't a fair characterization.

IMO it was because it tied up a lot of cap space, he let himself get held hostage and Ozzie sort of fell for it based on one outstanding playoff run. He never had anything close to that prior and hasn't since. He bought Flacco at too high of a price.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. First, the passing rules hadn’t changed yet and secondly he added 500 yards on the ground with another bunch of Tds.