FL boy, a Vol fan, bullied for his homemade UT shirt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Vol Nation rallies behind Florida elementary student bullied for homemade UT shirt
The Vol Shop and other departments on campus put together a Volunteer Proud Pack that will be delivered to the student Friday.

Author: Amelia Young
Published: 5:49 PM EDT September 5, 2019
Updated: 10:28 PM EDT September 5, 2019

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Vol Nation's support for a fellow Vol is truly powerful, no matter how far away they are.
More than 650 miles away in the Sunshine State lives a young Vol fan near Orlando, surrounded by a sea of Gators.
According to a Facebook post from his teacher, Laura Snyder, the boy wanted to represent the Vols on college colors day at his elementary school, but he didn't have a UT shirt. So he got creative, making his own by drawing a UT logo on a white piece of paper and pinning it on an orange shirt.

He proudly wore it to school, but things took a sad turn at lunch.
"After lunch, he came back to my room, put his head on his desk and was crying. Some girls at the lunch table next to his (who didn’t even participate in college colors day) had made fun of his sign that he had attached to his shirt. He was DEVASTATED," she wrote. "I know kids can be cruel, I am aware that it’s not the fanciest sign, BUT this kid used the resources he had available to him to participate in a spirit day."

Less than 24 hours after the post hit the internet, hundreds from Vol Nation were rallying to help.
"The phone is ringing off the hook. We've got emails, we've got tweets, we've got phone calls," said Tommi Grubbs from the Vol Shop.

"People in Florida have reached out to us, people in Knoxville have reached out to us. Everyone wants to help," she said.
With the help of the Vol Shop and other departments on campus, the little Vol fan will be getting the surprise of his life.

"We've all collectively come together and we're sending him what we call a Volunteer Proud Pack," said Jimmy Delaney with UT Fan Experience.
The "care package" will have notebooks, a hat, jersey and signed football from head coach Jeremy Pruitt.

Even Gus's Good Times Deli and Alumni Hall got in on it, too, sending the teacher some UT gear and school supplies for the student, and a message about bullying:
"We hope you have discussed the consequences of bullying with the children in your class because in Tennessee 'you mess with one of us- you mess with all of us."

UT interim president Randy Boyd said in a statement:
“I was touched to learn of a young Florida elementary school student’s heart for the University of Tennessee, and I LOVED his imagination behind designing his own shirt. So many of us admire his love for the University of Tennessee, and we will be rewarding his creativity with a ‘fan pack’ from Knoxville.”
"I think he will go from making his own shirt to being the envy of the school," said Delaney.

As for the rest of the kids in the class, the Vol Shop is spreading some Tennessee love to them with water bottles and bracelets.
"That's what Vols do. We love our own and that's what's so special about being apart of the Vol community and really, really being a Vol for life. That's what it's all about," said Grubbs.

The package is being shipped to Florida overnight and will be delivered to the boy Friday just in time for another college colors day.
And that homemade design isn't going anywhere. The Vol Shop sent an image of the shirt to be printed, hopefully to hit shelves soon after it gets approval from licensing.

Already 50,000 shirts have been sold through UT as the official licensee (FL boy has granted the right) with thousands more knocked off online. UT has officially offered the boy a full scholarship upon his graduating high school.

View: https://twitter.com/UTKnoxville/status/1170066249482563585

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Love that shirt! Brought a tear to my eye when I saw that kid. Kids need to be uplifted and encouraged. It is so sad when kids are cruel and place a "mark" on another kid.

Sometimes those marked kids accept their role for life. And that is a crime.

I want one of those shirts.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love that shirt! Brought a tear to my eye when I saw that kid. Kids need to be uplifted and encouraged. It is so sad when kids are cruel and place a "mark" on another kid.

Sometimes those marked kids accept their role for life. And that is a crime.

I want one of those shirts.
Not a UT fan but I’ll buy a shirt. My dads family is from there maybe I’ll get it for him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anything but a Vols fan (Mizzou's rival), but that's an amazing gesture by Tennessee, and good on the kid for keeping his faith in enemy territory.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This was a wonderful story and I will admit to tearing up a little like @Farr Be It said.

What they did is purely awesome. And I know it made the people being shitty to him feel like shit themselves. Which kids like that deserve.

I've become aware of how it can effect children because a neighbor of mine had a 13 year old girl (she's now 14) that was bullied by other girls in her school. When she told me about it it was saddening. Her name is Hanna.

When she was 13 she looked like a woman in her early 20's. So naturally boys in her school took an interest. Being very good looking, as well in advanced placement classes because she is super smart made one clique of girls in the school bully her out of jealousy and try to knock her down mentally. Well it didn't work, she stayed strong. She had blocked them from her social media and their phone numbers but of course on social media you can open account after account to continue the crap. There were 5 of them in on it. Parents were made aware but it didn't really stop.

Eventually two of the girls knocked her down/pulled her hair/hit her. The school she goes to is a private school with the same zero tolerance policy that many of them here have. If you pull that shit you're out for good, no second chances, if it's bad enough of a situation.

So Hanna went to the people in charge and actually made a case for NOT expelling these two girls. And the powers that be decided they would make a rare exception because of what Hanna did.

The little bitches were so massively embarrassed that the person they were treating like shit saved their asses from being tossed out of school that the bullying stopped by everyone in that shitty little clique.

What she did was fucking GREAT.

What this college did is that to the Nth power. It's an amazing story and I think I'm gonna get Hanna one of those t-shirts now that I think about it.

This story is fantastic. I love shit like this

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
This was a wonderful story and I will admit to tearing up a little like @Farr Be It said.

What they did is purely awesome. And I know it made the people being shitty to him feel like shit themselves. Which kids like that deserve.

I've become aware of how it can effect children because a neighbor of mine had a 13 year old girl (she's now 14) that was bullied by other girls in her school. When she told me about it it was saddening. Her name is Hanna.

When she was 13 she looked like a woman in her early 20's. So naturally boys in her school took an interest. Being very good looking, as well in advanced placement classes because she is super smart made one clique of girls in the school bully her out of jealousy and try to knock her down mentally. Well it didn't work, she stayed strong. She had blocked them from her social media and their phone numbers but of course on social media you can open account after account to continue the crap. There were 5 of them in on it. Parents were made aware but it didn't really stop.

Eventually two of the girls knocked her down/pulled her hair/hit her. The school she goes to is a private school with the same zero tolerance policy that many of them here have. If you pull that shit you're out for good, no second chances, if it's bad enough of a situation.

So Hanna went to the people in charge and actually made a case for NOT expelling these two girls. And the powers that be decided they would make a rare exception because of what Hanna did.

The little bitches were so massively embarrassed that the person they were treating like shit saved their asses from being tossed out of school that the bullying stopped by everyone in that shitty little clique.

What she did was fucking GREAT.

What this college did is that to the Nth power. It's an amazing story and I think I'm gonna get Hanna one of those t-shirts now that I think about it.

This story is fantastic. I love shit like this

Great story Les. We need more of these.

I’d heard about the kid last week, and I almost teared up too because it brought back some bad memories of my youngest getting bullied in middle school. Glad the kid’s OK, and glad the Vols stepped up, and more importantly, they didn’t let their slick marketing people clean it up in any way. An unadulterated copy of the boy’s design.

ATTABOY, KID!!!! You got a lot of fans here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Great story! Good for that little guy. Growing up can be filled with hard and sometimes cruel lessons. I'm happy to see how this turned out in the end. I'm also happy to see the message that was delivered to that whole elementary school.

Now... I think something should be pointed out here that was not included in the story. It doesn't make the bullying acceptable in any way, but it should be noted. I 100% guarantee that the bullying was delivered by kids who are gator fans (University of Florida). They absolutely hate UT and are not bashful about letting it be known. In fact... I would put gator fans in the top 3 of all sports fans for being the most annoying and obnoxious. I strongly suspect that the bully kids have parents who are gator fans. Remember that when you have kids... they are always watching you.

I admit... I'm a Nole, and as a result... a gator hater. I should point out though that I have relatives who graduated from that University, so I am a tiny bit fair about my assessment of their fans. But seriously... they are the most annoying fans you'll ever be around... especially when they have a decent team. They have no manners whatsoever.

Plus... I have a soft spot in my heart for UT. A friend of mine from HS was the #1 recruited female basketball player in the country. Pat Summit was able to win her over when every single other school did everything possible to get her. She won multiple NCAA Championships there and then went on to win an Olympic Gold Medal too. She also became a professional basketball player... but back then there was no WNBA. She had to play in Europe. There are actual statues of my friend there because of her dominance. She did play in the WNBA during it's 1st few years... but that was when she was getting older. Her name is Bridgette Gordon. She's now living in the same city we went to High School together in.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
That’s a nice save by UT

But...... come on kid, raise your freakin’ game! And don’t wear that shit in gator country and expect to come out unscathed

First off it wasn’t even dudes busting his balls it was young girls. Lesson one little bro, if the chicks are heckling you cause you pinned that slop on your shirt take it as a life lesson and come correct next time. My advice is to lose the piece of paper and just throw that UT on your actual shirt. But man, that was a weak attempt little bro.

My only concern with the University saving his ass from normal day to day humiliation is it sets up a false narrative that taping a piece of paper to your shirt is legit - unless your running in a freaking marathon that’s never gonna fly. I mean what do i tell my kid? Stop pursuing excellence and instead go half-ass to get that scholarship at Cornell?

Anyway - send the chill pills my way:p

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I need ROD dollars for this

44D880AE-B023-4001-BCAB-92BECBBFF1E6.png

fearsomefour

Legend
That’s a nice save by UT

But...... come on kid, raise your freakin’ game! And don’t wear that shit in gator country and expect to come out unscathed

First off it wasn’t even dudes busting his balls it was young girls. Lesson one little bro, if the chicks are heckling you cause you pinned that slop on your shirt take it as a life lesson and come correct next time. My advice is to lose the piece of paper and just throw that UT on your actual shirt. But man, that was a weak attempt little bro.

My only concern with the University saving his ass from normal day to day humiliation is it sets up a false narrative that taping a piece of paper to your shirt is legit - unless your running in a freaking marathon that’s never gonna fly. I mean what do i tell my kid? Stop pursuing excellence and instead go half-ass to get that scholarship at Cornell?

Haha.
Well, everyday humiliation is the humble pie of life.
I’d say he needs to understand he shouldn’t care what the girls think.
It’s a nice gesture the school did it.
Wouldn’t read much more into it than that.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s a nice save by UT

Scribbling on a sheet of notebook paper got him a free 4 year ride at UT, a lifetime worth of swag and (I assume) a cut of the profits from his design on licensed shirts. I'd say his game at his age is raised to the stratosphere.:p